View previous topic | View next topic

First Product Endorsements

Page 1 of 1

Ferguson
1385610.  Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:07 am Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if any intelligent people out there could tell me if it is true that gladiators of Ancient Rome were the first to use product endorsements. I find it quite interesting that even the modern version of product endorsements can be traced so far back in history. If anyone had information about this or find it interesting pls comment below.

CB27
1385615.  Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:49 am Reply with quote

I think it's been mentioned in Qi previously that gladiator sweat was sold as perfume, and that their blood was also sold for treatments.

But we can go even further back to at least 2k-3k BC when potters and traders across Europe and Asia were applying seals to show where their contents came from, so if a trader had a selection of olive oil jars, you might pick the one with the seal of your preferred location or producer.

However, it's all about what you mean by endorsements.

If you mean selling products based on themselves, then yes, we can go back 5000 years to see it happening, but if you mean simply using their name to sell someone else's product, well that would require brand names and awareness.

You could argue that early emperors and kings "endorsed" religious beliefs that were followed by their people, but in terms of physical things, I think celebrity endorsements only really came into being around the middle ages when kings and queens started influencing fashions, in clothing, travel, and various things.

In terms of commercial brands I don't think these really came into being until the 19th century, so the first celebrity endorsement of a commercial brand that had nothing to do with the person would probably date back to the turn of the century.

Ferguson
1385648.  Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:55 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, a very good answer.

I was more thinking of 'celebrity' product endorsement. In a discussion about historical elements reflected in film, I was reading how in the movie 'Gladiator' an early script had the gladiators promote products such as armour, swords and labels that roman vendors paid for promotion. It was included in the earlier scripts for the film due to historical advisors suggested this was historically accurate. I therefore was very interested to know if this was remotely true given that it does not seem believable.

I also was interested since it perhaps gives a little insight into human behaviour, if we see heroes or a person that is known use a product, then even across 2000 years (give or take) we still desire the product that said person is associated with.

crissdee
1385668.  Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:57 am Reply with quote

I don't. The fact that some femto-sleb has their grinning fizzog associated with a product creates zero desire in me to share in their apparent joy of ownership.

It is bad enough when they are somehow tangentially connected with the product, but when their presence is entirely random, it actively dissuades me from using it. When that sweaty tw*t Iggy Pop was advertising car insurance for example, or an extreme case, the former cricketist David Greig (?) endorsing business envelopes.....

ali
1385674.  Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:48 am Reply with quote

Royal Warrants ("by Royal Appointment") date back to the 15th century, and Royal Charters even farther, but both of these are endorsements for businesses rather than products.

dr.bob
1385693.  Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:04 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
In terms of commercial brands I don't think these really came into being until the 19th century, so the first celebrity endorsement of a commercial brand that had nothing to do with the person would probably date back to the turn of the century.

Think again :)

According to this rather interesting blog, the concept of a "brand" was pioneered by Josiah Wedgwood back in the 1760s. He specifically used royal endorsements in his marketing literature in order to promote his products. This definitely counts as a "product endorsement" as we would recognise the term in the modern age.

Page 1 of 1