View previous topic | View next topic

Terminations

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
1385292.  Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:49 am Reply with quote

A look at things that were stopped, axed or cancelled.

In June 2021, a Japanese manga comic was axed after a run of a single chapter. Killing the People Reincarnated into the Other World -Cheat Slayer- - which among other things is not the only manga with a rather too long title - is an example of the "isekai" genre. Isekai are stories set in another world, in which the central character is someone who ends up being transported to a parallel universe, either via magic, technology or reincarnation after death. The genre is so widespread in manga that there have been complaints about it being too dominant, like superhero movies in the west, and some writing competitions have banned isekai entries.

Cheat Slayer launched on 9th June, it being a tale of revenge with the main antagonists in the series being an evil guild who commit various crimes. However, readers quickly noticed that the villains all happened to look like the the heroes in some of the biggest isekai series around. For example, one of Cheat Slayer's villains, Kilt, is a man who dresses in black and fights using a pair of swords - who looks a lot like Kirito, the central hero of Sword Art Online, the series that arguably kicked-off the curren isekai boom. Another character, Honda, appears to be a parody of Subaru from the seres Re:Zero.

The creators of the original series ended up causing a stir - not so much for being parodied, but because Cheat Slayer depicted their goodies as baddies. The publishers thus axed the series.

Sources: Anime News Network; Wikipedia article on Cheat Slayer; and Wikipedia category page for isekai - including other oddly titled series like Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?, The Greatest Demon Lord Is Reborn as a Typical Nobody, and Reborn as a Vending Machine, I Now Wander the Dungeon.

ETA - The author of Cheat Slayer, Homura Kawamoto, has now announced he is making another isekai manga, which also has another odd title: Humanity's Existence Depends on Love Gambling with Another World's Princess.

Source: Anime News Network

Last edited by Ian Dunn on Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total

CB27
1385312.  Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:03 am Reply with quote

Hmm, I've not been aware of this genre and only occasionally watch anime when something is recommended by enough friends (Erased probably being one of my favourites in recent years), but at the recommendation of a friend I started watching High Rise Invasion just last night, which I think probably falls into this genre :). Only two episodes in and still a bit confused, and slightly perturbed by the animator's occasional perviness showing through.

Ian Dunn
1385314.  Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:34 am Reply with quote

I think most sources describe High Rise Invasion as horror rather than isekai, but it does appear to have some isekai elements.

In terms of origin, isekai is normally considered to have begun in the early 1990s, with this "first wave" mainly consisting of "shojo" comics which are aimed at girls. The current "second wave" mainly consists of "shonen" comics aimed at boys, although there are so many series that the genre is frequently parodied. There are comedic isekai stories, and also "reverse isekai" - a story in which someone from another world finds themselves transported to our world.

My personal favourite of the isekai series is on of the early ones: Magic Knight Rayearth by the all-women CLAMP group. In this story, three girls are magically summoned to the fantasy land Cefrio (sometimes spelt Cephiro) to rescue the trapped Princess Emeraude. One of the reasons I like it is: in my original post about Cheat Slayer, I mentioned that one of the characters that was copied was one called Subaru, whose name was changed to Honda. Rayearth did this car-naming thing back in the 1990s with this - Cefrio is a type of Nissan, and Emeraude a Mitsubishi. CLAMP's writer, Ohkawa, had a problem which was when she read fantasy stories, she could never remember the names of characters and places, so she thought it would be easier to remember if the names were all themed, and decided to go with cars as they need to be named well in order to sell. I've counted around 50 different car references in the series, my personal favourite being a travelling, scarred, green-haired swordsman named Ferio, who was named after CLAMP's own scratched, green Honda Civic Ferio.

tetsabb
1385335.  Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:21 pm Reply with quote

Well, of course Firefly was cancelled after one series so Joss Whedon made Serenity.

BrianBoyko
1386127.  Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:28 pm Reply with quote

In 1961, there was a television show so bad that it was terminated after only a single episode... and was such a success it ran until 1970.

Jackie Gleason hosted "You're in the Picture", a game show that aired on CBS for only one episode on Friday, January 20th, 1961.

The idea was that the game show would have panel contestants sticking their heads through holes in a picture, like a seaside photo cutout board, then guess what the picture was supposed to represent.

It was horrible, and debuted to negative reviews across the board.

So the next Friday, in the same timeslot, Jackie Gleason, appeared in front of a bare brick-walled studio and spoke directly to the audience for a half an hour.

Quote:
"There's nothing here, except the orchestra and myself... We have a creed tonight, and the creed is honesty.... Last week we did a show that laid the biggest bomb—it would make the H-bomb look like a two-inch salute."

The comical half-hour apology - basically Gleason riffing for a half hour, got much better reviews than the actual show.

The third episode, Gleason renamed the show "The Jackie Gleason show" and turned it into a talk/variety show. While "You're in the Picture" lasted only one episode, the "Jackie Gleason Show" ran until 1970.

The two video links below go to the same video but at different timestamps, the first to the episode, the second to what aired the next week.

Episode 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q15thPrPr0

What aired the following week: https://youtu.be/4q15thPrPr0?t=1783

Page 1 of 1