View previous topic | View next topic

Please help me, answer the question about 1927

Page 1 of 1

hientroc
1384824.  Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:14 pm Reply with quote

Hi All,

According to all the research I have done to verify this statement , which is none, the last time that Yale (a USA university) won the football championship was 1927.

Is this correct?

Or should 1927 be remembered for a more significant event?

Thanks you!

ali
1384829.  Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:01 am Reply with quote

For possibilities:

a) The Nanking Incident
b) First solo, non-stop flight by aeroplane across the Atlantic (Lindbergh)
c) Foundation of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
d) 700000 people killed in flooding along the Mississippi

Jenny
1384861.  Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:11 am Reply with quote

Hi hientroc and welcome to the forums - ah well, now you have bumped up against a QI requirement, which is evidence. It's no good asserting something without any kind of proof to back it up.

However, your statement is true according to http://football-advance.blogspot.com/2007/01/historycollegiate-game.html

I would suggest that there are more significant events to remember 1927 by though.

As well as the events mentioned above by ali, we might also include Stalin taking control of the Russian Communist party, an earthquake in China that killed nearly 41,000 people, and the Great Mississippi Flood that affected 700,000 people in the USA.

CB27
1384883.  Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:03 pm Reply with quote

1927 was when the BBC got a Royal Charter, so without it perhaps no Qi?

The UK acknowledged the Irish Free State by renaming themselves as the Uni9ted Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Speaking of Football, this was the only year a non English team won the FA cup (Cardiff).

Back to US College Football, there is often dispute.

Depending on your source, the 1927 champions could be Yale, Illinois, Georgia, Notre dame, or Texas A &M.

Even if you narrow down to those accepted by the College Football Data Warehouse (CFBDW), both Yale and Illinois are shown as champions for 1927.

Seems the US has a long history of more than one person\group being declared the winners...

barbados
1384888.  Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:22 pm Reply with quote

Its a tough one to call for the overall champions, I would stick my neck out and say it isnít A&M, but the problem is at the time the results were not unified. Yale didnít even win their conference- so to go from that to claiming national championship is a bit of a leap. Illinois is a much better fit for that claim

Awitt
1384910.  Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:59 am Reply with quote

Here's something I didn't know, searching for an Aussie fact or event that may have occurred in that year:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1927_(band)

Page 1 of 1