View previous topic | View next topic

Handy Hancock

Page 4 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

suze
1384049.  Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:18 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
Just seen a tweet asking if anyone is prepared to have an affair with Gavin Williamsom so we get rid of him, too.
suze?
😉


I think I'll pass on that.

Now it were Bill Clinton, or if it were The Graduand (as he should now be called) ...

 
PDR
1384051.  Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:23 pm Reply with quote

There can be confusion because subcontractors (agency/self-employed staff) are often colloquially referred to as both "contractors" and "subbies", but that's just colloquial usage. I employ an electrical contractor to rewire a workshop because my company in not accredited to sign off the installation. I engage a subcontract engineer to cover for the absence of one of my team who is on maternity leave. I assess the skills, competence and qualifications of the individual, the subbie works to my procedures, and my lead engineer supervises and signs for the work.

PDR

 
PDR
1384052.  Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:25 pm Reply with quote

barbados wrote:

The claim was that it "could have been done by a spotty computer geek for a crate of beers."
There was no reference to the complexity, only the cost


Again, you are just advertising how far above your head the discussion is.

PDR

 
barbados
1384055.  Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:46 pm Reply with quote

In what way is the claim by AH relating to the complexity of the project?

 
barbados
1384058.  Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:49 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
There can be confusion because subcontractors (agency/self-employed staff) are often colloquially referred to as both "contractors" and "subbies", but that's just colloquial usage. I employ an electrical contractor to rewire a workshop because my company in not accredited to sign off the installation. I engage a subcontract engineer to cover for the absence of one of my team who is on maternity leave. I assess the skills, competence and qualifications of the individual, the subbie works to my procedures, and my lead engineer supervises and signs for the work.

PDR

That may well be how it happens in your particular office.
However, in the real world, if you are employing someone to perform an action they are a contractor - if they then employ someone to perform a part of the contract, they are a sub contractor.
If you employ someone to cover for absence in your office, they are a temp.

 
tetsabb
1384061.  Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:04 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
I think I'll pass on that.


Would I have had the Look Over The Specs for that?

 
PDR
1384064.  Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:32 pm Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
If you employ someone to cover for absence in your office, they are a temp.


"Temp" is a term that has no legal meaning in this context, but it generally refers to someone who is employed for a fixed term rather than a permanent or open-ended one. As such they are usually either a subcontractor (if employed through an agency or self-employed) or an employee (if employed directly by the company).

As I said previously, the principle determinant between a contractor and a subcontractor is that a contractor operates to their own procedures while a subcontractor operates to the employers procedures.

PDR

 
bobwilson
1384065.  Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:33 pm Reply with quote

Since misconduct in public office is a serious offence, and clearly flouting the COVID rules when you are the health secretary is misconduct in public office - I do hope the reported investigation into the source of the leak of the video will identify those individuals who were aware of the misconduct but did NOT (as is their duty, surely?) report it.

 
suze
1384071.  Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:25 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
Would I have had the Look Over The Specs for that?


When I'm perusing these forums at home, I magnify the screen sufficiently that I don't need my glasses.

That is the only thing that saved you!

 
tetsabb
1384119.  Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:51 pm Reply with quote

Phew!

 
Prof Wind Up Merchant
1384932.  Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:42 pm Reply with quote

He is gone now unless he comes back as the Affairs Secretary.

 

Page 4 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group