View previous topic | View next topic

"I've been so-and-so" (sign-off phrase)

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Awitt
1381597.  Sun May 16, 2021 5:26 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Quote:
and as far as I remember pretty well every aspiring hopeful has always signed off with "My name is <someone you've probably never heard of>, Goodnight!" in the hope that a producer will remember their name and book them.

I've seen even the well known comedians do this at the end of their time slot in those large comedy festival events (often a charity fundraiser too) that are televised - because each one only gets about a ten minute time frame for their gig, as opposed to the three week Melbourne comedy festival where each person has multiple hour long shows over the time.

Pyriform
1381627.  Sun May 16, 2021 5:37 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
It's a bit like those expressions which became popular amongst the 20s "flappers" - like ... "It's the bees knees". These never did mean anything literally, but the juxtaposition of words which are unrelated to themselves, the context or both to induce a mental stumble in the mind of the listener for comedic effect.

I thought that "It's the bee's knees" was a pun on the (presumably already well used) phrase: "It's the business".

Brock
1381772.  Tue May 18, 2021 12:59 pm Reply with quote

Interesting variation from Alex Edelman on Radio 4 just now - "I've been Alex Edelman and so have you".

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2