View previous topic | View next topic

Elections 2021

Page 7 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

PDR
1381731.  Tue May 18, 2021 9:05 am Reply with quote

Nothing in the question mentioned the RTA, though. The answers provided answered the question.

PDR

barbados
1381737.  Tue May 18, 2021 9:43 am Reply with quote

Wasn’t the question?
barbados wrote:
Twas drink driving even punishable by prison 30 years ago?.

And the answer was yes - according to the RTA 1988
So I asked where it said it.
And you suggested in the 1977(or thereabouts) Road Traffic Act - again couldn’t find it there.
Only then did suze point me to the right place at which point (if memory serves) I thanked her in the hope we could move on.

PDR
1381764.  Tue May 18, 2021 12:33 pm Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
And you suggested in the 1977(or thereabouts) Road Traffic Act - again couldn’t find it there.

Really?

Road Traffic Act 1972 Schedule 4 Part 1:

(I've snipped the relevant section but pasted the table headers back so you can see what the columns mean)

It's in a similar schedule in the RSA 1964 that preceded it.

PDR

barbados
1381766.  Tue May 18, 2021 12:41 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
barbados wrote:

Really?

Road Traffic Act 1972 Schedule 4 Part 1:

PDR

Yes really.
Why do you think I responded to you originally with
barbados wrote:
Quote:
This is so easy to check that it's a shame you didn't bother before posting. The Road Traffic Act 1972 provides for a mandatory driving ban and a discretionary fine and/or prison sentence of up to 4 months (summarily) or 12 months (on conviction by a jury).

Would you be so kind as to provide a link for that?
You see I did look, and all of the sentencing information I have found seems to point to current advice, rather than the historic advice.
I even had a look at the North Review from 2010 without much clarification

?
I note you still didn't post a link, but at least with the relevant schedule I had something to go on.

Wouldn't have been easier to post that 5 days ago?

PDR
1381780.  Tue May 18, 2021 2:42 pm Reply with quote

I didn't bother because

(a) I gave the title of the Act, so it was simply a matter of going onto the legistlation.gov.uk and typing the title into the search box, or even just googling the title to get to the same page, then using the browser search function on a word like "Imprisonment". Even if you're not familar enough with the drafting conventions which generally place sentencing data in schedules rather than the main body of legislation (which not many are) the search will soon find them. I think I gave you more than enough breadcrumbs.

(b) Others had already corroborated it.

PDR

barbados
1381781.  Tue May 18, 2021 2:46 pm Reply with quote

IYSS

dr.bob
1381882.  Thu May 20, 2021 5:47 am Reply with quote

Well, I'm glad we finally put that to bed.

barbados
1381883.  Thu May 20, 2021 6:18 am Reply with quote

It was “in bed” a week ago

dr.bob
1381930.  Fri May 21, 2021 8:10 am Reply with quote

Then I'm glad we put it back there.

suze
1381946.  Fri May 21, 2021 11:20 am Reply with quote

It has been announced that the second attempt at an election for Wiltshire's Police and Crime Commissioner will take place on 19 August. That seems like a long time after the original election, but it is in fact in line with the rules. Talking of the rules, please could the Conservative Party actually bother to read them before selecting its candidate this time.

It is estimated that the cost of the second election will be in the region of £1-1.5 million. Why am I paying it? Why isn't the fraudulent candidate Mr Seed paying for it? Oh, and why isn't he in jail yet?

Jenny
1381962.  Fri May 21, 2021 12:50 pm Reply with quote

We have local elections coming up in June sometime, for people to serve on a Charter Commission for the city of Portland. Only one of them (we have to pick four and there are, I think, nine candidates) has bothered to send around any information about himself so he gets one vote from me (he seems like a reasonable guy) and I guess I'll have to trawl through the local paper to see if I can find out anything about the others.

dr.bob
1382132.  Mon May 24, 2021 10:49 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Why am I paying it? Why isn't the fraudulent candidate Mr Seed paying for it? Oh, and why isn't he in jail yet?

You clearly haven't been paying attention to how this country is run now. If you're wealthy and/or chums with Boris then rules don't apply to you.

Prof Wind Up Merchant
1383544.  Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:31 am Reply with quote

The Lib Dems took Amersham and Chesham seat from the Tories in the recent by election. Did anyone predict that?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57535928

Issue of HS2 had a part to play and planning.

Will the Tories start concentrating more on the North of England at the expense of the South East?

Labour came a woeful 4th behind the Green candidate. This is the type of seat Labour needs to take to recover.

barbados
1383547.  Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:00 am Reply with quote

This was discussed elsewhere - it appears that the Labor to Lib Dem swing was around the amount of votes the Lib Dems won by, and the deserting Tory vote was around the same number as the drop in turn out - it looks very much like a regular Bi Election outcome, the Lib Dems will lose it once again Come 2024

tetsabb
1383559.  Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:39 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
Labor

The election was in Britain, not the Colonies. Labour
See teacher after class

Page 7 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next