View previous topic | View next topic

Elections 2021

Page 1 of 9
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

suze
1381046.  Fri May 07, 2021 11:28 am Reply with quote

There were lots of them yesterday!

The only one in which I had the opportunity to vote was for Kent's Police and Crime Commissioner. I don't know why those positions exist, none of the candidates bothered to campaign, so I didn't bother to vote. There can be no doubt that the Conservative candidate will be elected, but they're not even counting til Monday which is a bit crap.

One result which has already been declared is that of MP for Hartlepool. I'm sure the people of that fair town had a good reason for electing a Conservative for the first time ever, but if that reason is that they think the Conservatives give a toss about anywhere outside the Home Counties they will be sorely disappointed. The newly elected MP has an absolute majority, even though she's not from Hartlepool, doesn't live in Hartlepool, and used to be domiciled in the Cayman Islands.

A shocking result for Labour, but an even worse one for the Lib Dems who came seventh with 349 votes - behind an Independent with no policies and two different far right candidates. So much for the big Lib Dem comeback ...

They are still counting the first preference votes in the battle to be Mayor of London; the final result is not expected until this time tomorrow. Shaun Bailey (Conservative) is reported to be in the lead at the moment, but the general expectation is that Sadiq Khan (Labour) will be re-elected once all the minor candidates - and there were twenty names on the ballot paper - have been eliminated.

Those minor candidates include general purpose loony Piers Corbyn (Let London Live), former actor and far right loony Laurence Fox (Reclaim Party), and the entirely sane Count Binface (formerly Lord Buckethead, but he has had to relinquish that name for legal reasons). Count Binface is confident that he's beaten Mr Fox, which has to count as good news.

Brock
1381047.  Fri May 07, 2021 11:49 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:

A shocking result [at Hartlepool] for Labour, but an even worse one for the Lib Dems who came seventh with 349 votes - behind an Independent with no policies and two different far right candidates.

Especially when you think that they came a close second in the 2004 by-election (only 2033 votes behind Labour). The Tories came fourth behind UKIP with a mere 3044 votes.

crissdee
1381050.  Fri May 07, 2021 12:19 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
....none of the candidates bothered to campaign, so I didn't bother to vote.

That got me thinking. I have ten flyers that were pushed through my letterbox, covering everyone but the blue lot. Not one of the candidates came and presented themselves at WYEBODDA though. Given that I could almost heave a brick from my front garden and land it at the polling station*, you'd think one of them might have wandered down here at some point.

* some hyperbole there really, it's a shade under 167 metres away, and there are buildings in between....

Brock
1381051.  Fri May 07, 2021 12:34 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
Not one of the candidates came and presented themselves at WYEBODDA though.

There was very little doorstep campaigning in these elections because of the Covid-19 restrictions. Campaigners weren't allowed to enter people's homes and had to maintain two metres' distance from members of the public.

Quote:
Given that I could almost heave a brick from my front garden and land it at the polling station*, you'd think one of them might have wandered down here at some point.

Sorry, but what has distance from the polling station got to do with it? I presume the candidates don't all live at your polling station...

barbados
1381052.  Fri May 07, 2021 12:50 pm Reply with quote

Brock wrote:
suze wrote:

A shocking result [at Hartlepool] for Labour, but an even worse one for the Lib Dems who came seventh with 349 votes - behind an Independent with no policies and two different far right candidates.

Especially when you think that they came a close second in the 2004 by-election (only 2033 votes behind Labour). The Tories came fourth behind UKIP with a mere 3044 votes.

This result has to been seen as a bigger insight on the mood of the nation, for a Labour stronghold (which Hartlepool can be viewed as nothing but....) to elect a Conservative MP can only signal an overwhelming distrust of the Labour Party. There was absolutely zero at stake here - had it happened in 2019 then it could be put down to the "wanting to get things done" mood that was going on, but "things" did get done, as promised, so this is not about that. And while Keir Starmer's leadership is more popular than Corbyn, his approval rating is still only at 19% and it has been on the slide since the end of the honeymoon period of his leadership victory

crissdee
1381053.  Fri May 07, 2021 3:03 pm Reply with quote

Brock wrote:
Sorry, but what has distance from the polling station got to do with it? I presume the candidates don't all live at your polling station...

In truth, not very much at all I suppose. Don't know now why I thought it relevant tbh. Ignore my ramblings as you might any other passing village idiot.

;-)

suze
1381059.  Fri May 07, 2021 4:43 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
That got me thinking. I have ten flyers that were pushed through my letterbox, covering everyone but the blue lot. Not one of the candidates came and presented themselves at WYEBODDA though.

I've not had a candidate - or representative thereof - at the door since our high profile by-election in 2014. Blue, red, and purple all campaigned very hard at that by-election and all had people knocking on doors, but otherwise it's never been usual around here.

But it is usual to get mailings from at least some of the candidates, and none of them bothered on this occasion.

Yellow never does anything around here for lack of resources. Most of the prominent local yellows have switched to the red party, mainly because of Tim Farron, and there's not a lot left.

We're sufficiently well known to the local red party organisation that it sends us a Christmas card. I was unimpressed when it chose not to campaign ahead of the 2019 general election, in a riding which it held until as recently as 2010, and I am equally unimpressed now.

But this is a blue area, and this is the first time that the blue party hasn't bothered with a mailing.

PDR
1381061.  Fri May 07, 2021 5:27 pm Reply with quote

After I voted yesterday I bumped into the candidate I'd just voted for on the way out. And that's when I realised she was someone I'd been at school with, and hadn't seen for over 40 years.

Funny old world, init.

PDR

Alexander Howard
1381062.  Fri May 07, 2021 5:35 pm Reply with quote

Commentators might talk about immediate causes or realignments or whatever. We are always out of date in our assumptions.

Labour have got by for generations claiming to be the party for the working man, but they don't look like it: ordinary, hard-working families are patriotic and grounded in common sense, and Labour have gone far from that, chasing Guardianista narratives. 'Vote Labour and we'll get you sacked for telling an unapproved joke' is not a good look, and 'If boys claim to be girls, we'll let into your daughter's changing room' is not an appeal to working class parents.

Also, being a 'party for the working man' juxtaposed with a party for the wealthy makes a big assumption that there is a conflict between the two, and that 1950s picture of the world now looks ridiculous.

suze
1381065.  Fri May 07, 2021 6:46 pm Reply with quote

Alexander Howard wrote:
'If boys claim to be girls, we'll let into your daughter's changing room'

To the extent that that is an accurate representation of Labour policy - not a very large extent - it has recently become Conservative policy too. So no votes there.

On the other hand, lying about everything, including at PMQs, will never be Labour policy. While giving all the jobs to your mates has on occasion been apparent Labour policy, that doesn't make it right as apparent Conservative policy.

Changing education policy five times in one week is not evidence of being "strong and stable". Neither is saying on one day that under no circumstances will you do a thing, and then doing it the next day.

Oh, and what's more, I voted Remain. The Conservative Party doesn't even want the likes of me to vote for it - and I know this because my stepdaughter was told so by her Conservative councillor.

barbados
1381066.  Fri May 07, 2021 8:42 pm Reply with quote

Your stepdaughter was told by a councillor they didn’t want her to vote for them?
That is a councillor that doesn’t deserve your stepdaughter’s vote,

suze
1381068.  Sat May 08, 2021 2:08 am Reply with quote

I can only agree!

Now OK, it was in 2017 that her councillor told her that people who voted Remain were not welcome in "his" Conservative Party, and four years is a very long time in politics. But the same individual still claims to represent her on Milton Keynes Council, and she will never again feel any need to vote for a guy who doesn't want her to.

Brock
1381069.  Sat May 08, 2021 2:22 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
crissdee wrote:
That got me thinking. I have ten flyers that were pushed through my letterbox, covering everyone but the blue lot. Not one of the candidates came and presented themselves at WYEBODDA though.

I've not had a candidate - or representative thereof - at the door since our high profile by-election in 2014. Blue, red, and purple all campaigned very hard at that by-election and all had people knocking on doors, but otherwise it's never been usual around here.

But it is usual to get mailings from at least some of the candidates, and none of them bothered on this occasion.

I don't think there are any mailings for PCC elections (which were the only ones taking place in your area). I received several leaflets from the candidates for the West of England Mayoral election, plus an official booklet from the Returning Officer, but for the PCC elections I was simply referred to the candidate statements on the "choosemypcc" website. I don't recall getting any mailings for previous PCC elections either.

PDR
1381072.  Sat May 08, 2021 2:35 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
I can only agree!

Now OK, it was in 2017 that her councillor told her that people who voted Remain were not welcome in "his" Conservative Party, and four years is a very long time in politics. But the same individual still claims to represent her on Milton Keynes Council, and she will never again feel any need to vote for a guy who doesn't want her to.

Well in much the same way that the Conservatives ran the negative campaign "Vote Blair, get Brown" a few years ago we now have people realising that we have a "Dump Boris, get Gove" threat.

And that could be the thing which keeps Boris in office.

PDR

PDR
1381073.  Sat May 08, 2021 2:39 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:

On the other hand, lying about everything, including at PMQs, will never be Labour policy. While giving all the jobs to your mates has on occasion been apparent Labour policy, that doesn't make it right as apparent Conservative policy.

I think that's probably the big discriminator between Tory and Labour right now - "Compulsive, habitual lying to hide nefarious and criminal acts" is core Tory policy, where core Labour policy remains "Not Lying".

As we have clearly seen, people support those who best represent their own position on this topic.

PDR

Page 1 of 9
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next