View previous topic | View next topic

What's the most misleading animal?

Page 1 of 1

dean1210
1380302.  Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:30 am Reply with quote

As someone who works from home and has the time management skills of a potato, I like to watch the birds in the garden as they frolic about and fly between the feeders.

I was just watching a couple of great tits (steady on) and I thought they were just adorable in the way they followed each other and ate some sunflower hearts. So naturally, I thought I'd look them up and find out more about these cute little birds, and instead I found only darkness and pain.

There's a lot to be said about not anthropomorphising animals, but I've come to the conclusion that great tits are evil. In 2009, they were observed in a cave in Hungary where they flew up to the crevices in whcih pipistrelle bats sheltered, and pecked away at them. The team leader said ""A great tit had pecked away all of the muscle, fat and intestines and even the brain. All that was left was skin and bones".

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2009/sep/09/great-tits-hunting-bats

So what do you think is the most misleading animal? What animal looks cute and fluffy and makes you feel all warm inside, but it's actually a demon in disguise?

crissdee
1380306.  Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:40 am Reply with quote

I think the corollary is more amenable to an answer tbh, what animal actually lives up to it's reputation. Nature is, as someone cleverer than me once said, "red in tooth and claw". Just about any animal will do what it has to do to survive. I would not be overly surprised to find that dormice eat their own babies, and axolotls hunt goldfish for sport.

AlmondFacialBar
1380309.  Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:50 am Reply with quote

An axolotl hunting goldfish for sport in its natural environment would have my absolute support because the goldfish would be a seriously invasive species there. ;-)

Anyways, I think dormice really do live up to their cute and cuddly reputation. Never heard of them doing anything but munching themselves silly on fruit, nuts, and blossoms and then going off to the land of nod (very much the kind of lifestyle I'd be happy to subscribe to if I had the dosh). Also... *SQUEE*

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

CB27
1380324.  Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:45 pm Reply with quote

I'd agree for most dormice, with the exception of Colin.

He knows what he did, and he knows it was wrong on so many levels...

Page 1 of 1