View previous topic | View next topic

To cut the cable or not?

Page 1 of 1

Jenny
1380189.  Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:44 pm Reply with quote

Woodsman and I are currently trying to decide whether to get rid of our cable TV subscription. We have internet, phone and TV via Spectrum/Time Warner, though we have cellphones separately as well, through US Cellular.

The major use of the phone is free calls to the UK, though since we mainly talk to my offspring on FaceTime or Messenger video or WhatsApp, it's mainly useful on the relatively infrequent times when I need to call my bank or some business or other in the UK. There are some people over here who call on it though.

We have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Paramount+ and PBS passport, and since my son was kind enough to give me his Hulu and Vudu passwords I have access to those too. Essentially we watch most of our stuff through streaming and it has dawned upon me that our main use for the cable is to watch the PBS Newshour at its broadcast time, plus Househunters International on HGTV and occasionally CNN. However, I think we could probably figure out how to cast from my laptop to the TV to get the NewsHour, and I'm unconvinced that the others matter. We could save ourselves at least $100 a month by getting rid of cable TV.

Should we do you think?

Dix
1380192.  Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:12 pm Reply with quote

We haven't had a mainline since we moved to the UK. Nor a TV. We've got broadband for streaming TV (BBC, mostly) and mobile/cell phones.
In the beginning we did also use a "skype out" account to call people in Denmark that didn't use skype because it was cheaper to make landline phone calls that way. I would have recommended that, but since Skype was bought by M$ they've done unspeakable things to that poor program and I no longer feel I can recommend it. We do still use the normal skype-to-skype calls but only because we'd already house-trained the family to use it and I don't want to teach them new tricks.

cornixt
1380237.  Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:24 am Reply with quote

I did it a few years ago and haven't regretted it. We get local news over the air and the handful of online streaming services. Don't really miss the shows you don't see, and there is still so much content out there. A lot of regular tv shows are now on regular YouTube (all the late night talk shows are there a day after they aired, back catalogues of Time Team, etc)

Jenny
1380245.  Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:32 am Reply with quote

I think if I could figure out how to get my laptop connected to the TV via the Roku device, that would do the trick.

cornixt
1380272.  Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:08 pm Reply with quote

If it's not a smart tv, then you'd need to hook up the laptop directly to the tv.

Every major streaming service has a Roku app, even YouTube, so you don't need to use a web interface at all.

Jenny
1380316.  Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:18 am Reply with quote

I'd need to connect a browser, so it might have to be an HDMI cable. However, I've had it pointed out to me that the NewsHour airs on YouTube only an hour later than on PBS, and we have a YouTube app on the Roku so that would work.

Page 1 of 1