View previous topic | View next topic

1975 and all that

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Brock
1378036.  Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:42 am Reply with quote

[Moved from "20 songs" thread]

[Note: For the purposes of this post I'm going to ignore the detail of the dates of people's birthdays, which can put calculations out by one year.]

Celebaelin wrote:
Brock wrote:
Celebaelin wrote:
1975 - that's as many years ago as the end of the First World War was when I was born. Bloody hell.

Which is a very long-winded way of saying "I am 57 this year" (irrespective of what year it is, or what year you were born). I'll be able to say exactly the same thing when I'm 57.

A tad over-acerbic there; it's a matter of perspective (oh, and well done on the basic arithmetic; I'm sure everyone else here was struggling with that).

I think you missed my point; it doesn't convey any sense of perspective to me. Let's say that this year = x, and your birth year = y. Your statement was equivalent to

x - 1975 = y - 1918

which is equivalent to

x = y + 57, i.e. "I am 57 this year".

So the statement doesn't give any sort of "feel" for how long ago 1975 was. It's simply stating your age. Any 57-year-old could have said it any time in history after 1975.

Someone born in 1919 could have said it in 1976, for instance, when 1975 was only a year ago. Someone born in 2018 will be able to say it in 2075, when 1975 will be 100 years ago.

It tells you something about the speaker, but it doesn't tell you anything about the passage of time.

PDR
1378042.  Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:12 am Reply with quote

Your intervention in the original thread and dragging it into this one is pompous and irrelevant, but rather than discuss it here the point is covered in this page

I would ask you (again) to please stop trying to dictate to everyone else what they are allowed to say and where they are allowed to say it. It is not a pleasant or constructive social interaction style.

0.0000004 supplied, IMHO, YMMV, etc etc,

PDR

Brock
1378044.  Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:19 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Your intervention in the original thread and dragging it into this one is pompous and irrelevant, but rather than discuss it here the point is covered in this page

I would ask you (again) to please stop trying to dictate to everyone else what they are allowed to say and where they are allowed to say it. It is not a pleasant or constructive social interaction style.

What are you on about? It's just a slightly pedantic discussion point, and I moved it to here so as not to spoil the "20 songs" thread. You're free to ignore it if you want to.

I am not trying to dictate to anyone what they can say, or where they are allowed to say it. You appear to be trying to dictate to me.

Please don't try to start arguments, PDR. It's not very kind, and quite hurtful.

Brock
1378046.  Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:23 am Reply with quote

@PDR: I'm actually quite upset now. I was having a good day until I read your post. Did you want to ruin my day for me?

I'm going to log out for a bit. I'm going for a walk. At least the Government says I'm allowed to now.

tetsabb
1378055.  Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:12 am Reply with quote

I had to shield all three lockdowns. I have been allowed, nay, encouraged to go for walks. For my mental as well as physical health.
Just being pedantic.
That's OK, isn't it?
😉

PDR
1378063.  Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:23 am Reply with quote

Shouldn't you have started a separate thread for that thought?

PDR

tetsabb
1378092.  Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:42 pm Reply with quote

Are you telling me I should have?

CB27
1378094.  Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:05 pm Reply with quote

Anyway, going back to the original post, I understand the arithmetic element to it, if you just look at the numbers, but the reason for the "long winded" way it was put is that we view certain events as not only being part of history, but that history now being abstract so as to automatically view it as ancient (rightly or wrongly).

Some younger people might feel the same way about how long ago the Soviet Union collapsed, they don't think it affects their current history.

One example I like because it's quite a rare "achievement", within months of the Bill Rights, and during the early period of George Washington's Presidency, John Tyler was born in 1790. He would later become the 10th President of the US, and died shortly after the US Civil War began. He still has one grandson alive today.

The US Civil war was so long ago, that it's hard to imagine anyone still alive who had grandparents during it, unless you start doing the maths, but to have a grandfather who was already an old man at the start of that war, and was around during the start of the US seems, automatically seems like something that was more than just two generations ago.

crissdee
1378099.  Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:53 pm Reply with quote

In the same vein, there was the episode of the show where they displayed this photo;

to the general amazement that it was of the Duke of Wellington, and my own amazement to realise that P.G. Wodehouse was old enough to have read of the Whitechapel murders as they were reported in the papers, but lived to see man walk on the moon.

Leith
1378100.  Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:54 pm Reply with quote

I find the passage of time compresses my perspective of history.

When I was a child, the second world war was four lifetimes ago, now it's only two, and seems closer in many ways.

In turn, the end of the nineteenth century no longer seems as unimaginably distant as it once did.

CB27
1378105.  Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:23 pm Reply with quote

Mention of Whitechapel reminds me that Nintendo started life at the same time Jack was committing his murders.

My own personal connection is that my great grandparents were living in Whitechapel for a few years before and after the murders, so no doubt would have been worried by the events.

They lived in St George in the East parish, and some of the family continued to live there until WW2. The area was more famous for an event my family was definitely involved with, the Battle of Cable Street.

tetsabb
1378122.  Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:13 am Reply with quote

My sister was born in 1952. My mother's grandfather was born in 1852.
My sister's grandchildren may well be parents in 2052

crissdee
1378137.  Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:12 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
..... my great grandparents were living in Whitechapel for a few years before and after the murders, so no doubt would have been worried by the events......They lived in St George in the East parish

They must have been near neighbours of my great-grandparents! They lived in Cannon St Rd, and ran (iirc) a tobacconists shop.

PDR
1378155.  Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:46 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
Mention of Whitechapel reminds me that Nintendo started life at the same time Jack was committing his murders.

They could have been in on the arrest if they'd played their cards right, but surprisingly it was Apple who introduced the Shuffle.

PDR

Big Martin
1378159.  Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:48 am Reply with quote

Always thought about my grandmother that the Wright brothers hadn't taken off yet when she was born, but she flew to visit my uncle in NZ several times before she died.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next