View previous topic | View next topic

Inaccuracies in the media

Page 2 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Leith
1385385.  Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:35 pm Reply with quote

Yes, BST in its current form was introduced in 1916 following a campaign by William Willett for more summer evening leisure time, improved sleep and reduced lighting costs (the latter may have swung the argument during WWI when fuel was at a premium).

http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/willett.html

Awitt
1385390.  Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:20 pm Reply with quote

The Australian state of Queensland won't introduce Daylight Saving (those who call it savings irk me) because there was the assumption by some that the longer hours of sunlight will 'fade the curtains'.
Now it's a running joke.

And the whole country has four different time zones in summer. Tasmania/Victoria/NSW on daylight saving, Queensland not, NT and SA together, and WA on its own.
Because most official things run from Sydney, Aust. Eastern Time (or an S for Summer time) is added then and has to be used/clarified.

We are past the winter solistice here and I'm still noticing it getting dark around 5.30 pm but that gradually creeps back - as I take a lot of sunset photos.
Also when not in lockdown, I notice it when travelling home, now it's just one day a week where I can get home between 5.30- 6 pm.

(just checked a weather site - official sunset time is listed at 5.21 at the moment)

Brock
1391003.  Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:44 pm Reply with quote

Pretty much every media outlet at the moment seems to be asking the question "Are we facing a (new) Winter of Discontent?"

Well, no we aren't, for one simple reason: it's early autumn. The original Winter of Discontent (1978-9) was so-called because, umm, it happened in winter. Are most journalists too thick to comprehend this?

Although I did hear one commentator suggesting "autumn of adversity"...

jaygeemack
1391015.  Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:19 pm Reply with quote

I think they may just be anticipating a hard winter. I don’t think that merits their being called ‘thick’.

PDR
1391016.  Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:30 pm Reply with quote

Brock wrote:
Pretty much every media outlet at the moment seems to be asking the question "Are we facing a (new) Winter of Discontent?"

Well, no we aren't, for one simple reason: it's early autumn.

...and in autumn we are facing the coming winter. Thus the question "are we facing another winter of discontent". If they were saying we are having a winter of discontent right now they'd surely ask something more like "Are win *in* a winter of discontent".

PDR

Brock
1391028.  Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:19 am Reply with quote

Well yes, but the problems are happening now. They're not talking about problems that might happen in three months' time!

Part of the reason why the original "Winter of Discontent" gained that name was that the disruption caused by industrial action happened to coincide with a period of exceptionally severe winter weather. Unless anyone's predicting snowstorms in October, I can't see how the parallel is justified.

(Also the current disruption isn't caused by industrial action, which makes the parallel even weaker.)

PDR
1391032.  Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:06 am Reply with quote

Brock wrote:
Well yes, but the problems are happening now. They're not talking about problems that might happen in three months' time!

I guess we must be hearing/reading different people. I've heard/read plenty using that term are talking about what the combined knock-on effects of driver shortages, brexit constraints and gas prices will have over the Xmas period and into the new year.

PDR

crissdee
1391043.  Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:16 am Reply with quote

Erm...
We have two lots of clock manipulation...

Brock
1391049.  Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:44 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
Erm...
We have two lots of clock manipulation...

I can't see what bearing this has on the current topic, and can only assume it's intended as a response to post 1385383 - posted in July, in a discussion about British Summer Time.

I am now thoroughly confused about what time of year it is, and will need to go and lie down.

Alexander Howard
1391050.  Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:18 am Reply with quote

Now is the autumn of our discontent
Made cursed winter by this panicked talk.
And all the sunbeams lighting up our house
In the storm-cloud of the tempest buried.

PDR
1391055.  Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:03 am Reply with quote

Given that the ban on evictions is ending and more people will be seeking cheaper accomodation perhaps that first line would be better as:

" Now is the autumn of our discount tents"...

PDR

crissdee
1391059.  Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:27 am Reply with quote

Re my aberrant post above:

It was indeed a response to Dix's earlier post, but my morning brain must have somehow skipped the second page of this thread. Apologies to all...

Celebaelin
1391092.  Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:01 am Reply with quote

I'm really confused now.

A TV program on Nat Geo and Wiki both say the Challenger disaster was on the 28th of January 1986.

I saw that Challenger launch live with the rest of the guys from our university self-catering flat and recall the stunned silence as the craft exploded and the booster rockets spiraled away. One of my flatmates there present was an Astrophysicist but here's the confusing part - he graduated in 1985 and left Birmingham afterwards as did all but one of the other flat members.

82-83 Hall of Residence
83-84 1st year in self-catering
84-85 2nd year in self-catering

How can this be - I distinctly remember the event, our sense of shock and that we were all gathered to watch my pokey little portable but by 1986 I was living in a different flat with a different (colour) TV and my physics astro friend had joined the ranks of the employed and was living in London. Obviously I remember his being there because the space thing was kind of his deal - even more so than the standard lad geekery would dictate for the rest of us.

If anybody else on this board has a clear memory of where they were when that tragedy struck and can put a date on that please let me know because this is driving me nuts. It's such a clear memory of an event almost as shocking as watching live as the second plane hit on 9/11. How can I be mis-remembering this? More worryingly if I'm not who is orchestrating this conspiracy to tell the world the event took place after it actually did and why?

Last edited by Celebaelin on Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

AlmondFacialBar
1391096.  Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:19 am Reply with quote

I couldn't pinpoint the exact date, but it was definitely a cold winter's day in very early 1986. I remember an American exchange student who shared one of the crew members' surname joining my Philosophy class not much later and wondering if they were related.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Last edited by AlmondFacialBar on Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Brock
1391097.  Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:30 am Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
I'm really confused now.

A TV program on Nat Geo and Wiki both say the Challenger disaster was on the 28th of January 1986.

I saw that Challenger launch live with the rest of the guys from our university self-catering flat

The launch was on 4th April 1983, so it's entirely possible that you saw it with your flatmates. The disaster was on the shuttle's tenth mission, not its first.

Page 2 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next