View previous topic | View next topic

Inaccuracies in the media

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Brock
1377326.  Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:33 am Reply with quote

[Repost]

"...the census in England and Wales is being held online for the first time in its history" (Times Radio news bulletin).

How can this statement be true? I filled mine in online in 2011 - in fact I found the old paper form recently, which I never threw away. The front page says "you can fill it in online or on paper".

As I understand it, the difference this year is that they're only sending out paper forms to people who request them.

 
RLDavies
1377327.  Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:35 am Reply with quote

They're sending paper forms to everyone, as far as I know. I got one and didn't specifically request it.

Probably the only way to make sure every household knows it's census time, even if they don't see any notifications in the media.

 
Brock
1377328.  Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:39 am Reply with quote

Well I certainly didn't get a paper form this year. All I got was a "What you need to know" leaflet and a letter with an access code, which also gave me a website address and phone number to request a paper form.

I thought it was the same for everyone else. Maybe it's because I filled it in online last time?

 
Leith
1377331.  Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:43 am Reply with quote

RLDavies wrote:
They're sending paper forms to everyone, as far as I know. I got one and didn't specifically request it.

Probably the only way to make sure every household knows it's census time, even if they don't see any notifications in the media.

No, I just received a letter directing me to the website, which clearly stated that paper forms were only available on request.

That seems the norm judging from others I've spoken to. Perhaps they are making exceptions in certain areas.

 
PDR
1377344.  Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:40 am Reply with quote

Leith wrote:
RLDavies wrote:
They're sending paper forms to everyone, as far as I know. I got one and didn't specifically request it.

Probably the only way to make sure every household knows it's census time, even if they don't see any notifications in the media.

No, I just received a letter directing me to the website, which clearly stated that paper forms were only available on request.

That seems the norm judging from others I've spoken to. Perhaps they are making exceptions in certain areas.


#me2

I think the thing being claimed (which has invoked Guy's ire) is not that this is the first year the census can be done on-line. It is claiming that this is the first year the default (normal) means of completing the census is on-line while paper is available by exception to those demand it. In previous years the default (normal) means of completing the census was using the paper form although by exception an on-line alternative may have been available to some or all who had the facility, equipment, savvy and inclination.

Not the same thing, so arguably the claim is valid. The appeal is rejected.

Next case...

PDR

 
Brock
1377348.  Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:49 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Leith wrote:
RLDavies wrote:
They're sending paper forms to everyone, as far as I know. I got one and didn't specifically request it.

Probably the only way to make sure every household knows it's census time, even if they don't see any notifications in the media.

No, I just received a letter directing me to the website, which clearly stated that paper forms were only available on request.

That seems the norm judging from others I've spoken to. Perhaps they are making exceptions in certain areas.


#me2

I think the thing being claimed (which has invoked Guy's ire) is not that this is the first year the census can be done on-line. It is claiming that this is the first year the default (normal) means of completing the census is on-line while paper is available by exception to those demand it.


Well they didn't say that, did they? It was a verbatim quote: "the census in England and Wales is being held online for the first time in its history". And it isn't.

Quote:
In previous years the default (normal) means of completing the census was using the paper form although by exception an on-line alternative may have been available to some or all who had the facility, equipment, savvy and inclination.


You're making it sound as though the online option was only available to a select few. I'm literally looking at the 2011 form now. This is what it says at the top of the right-hand side of the front page, in large type:

"Complete online
www.census.gov.uk
Your personal internet access code is:
....
OR fill in this paper questionnaire and post it back using the pre-paid envelope supplied."

That says to me that the default option was to fill it in online, with paper as an alternative.

I don't know how many people chose which option, but it's misleading to say that this is the first year it's been online.

 
Spike
1377369.  Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:36 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Leith wrote:
RLDavies wrote:
They're sending paper forms to everyone, as far as I know. I got one and didn't specifically request it.

Probably the only way to make sure every household knows it's census time, even if they don't see any notifications in the media.

No, I just received a letter directing me to the website, which clearly stated that paper forms were only available on request.

That seems the norm judging from others I've spoken to. Perhaps they are making exceptions in certain areas.


#me2


#me3

 
crissdee
1377374.  Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:20 pm Reply with quote

#me4 for this year.

As to 2011, I really cannot remember what I did that year beyond get diagnosed with End Stage Renal Failure. I don't think I had regular access to the interweb then, other than through work, and it is possible that I did it in a quiet time in the office, of which there were plenty at the weekends, but I wouldn't like to swear what I did.

 
jaygeemack
1377402.  Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:28 pm Reply with quote

Scotlandís census has been delayed until next year due to COVID. This is unfortunate, as the census will not give a snapshot of the entire UK on a single day. Some people will be on both censuses, and some on neither.

 
Awitt
1377406.  Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:44 pm Reply with quote

I know for the 2016 Australian census, while on my leaflet rounds in the suburbs, I saw census collectors door knocking and handing over forms.
I think this was the first time ours could be done online and the system crashed on that night because every man and his dog, so to speak, was trying to log on in the evening.

The Government had to scramble and explain that we had at least two weeks to complete the thing, but had to answer the questions for that Tuesday night (for some reason our census is done on a Tuesday)

 
Celebaelin
1377410.  Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:45 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, it's strange - in truth they 'can't'* make responding to the questions on an official form compulsory and then refuse to oblige those without domestic net access (in these days of limited movement/library access and possibly at any any other time) with a paper form.

* of course they can - they're the 'government' but I mean it would, in this country, be vulnerable to legal challenge

 
extremophilesheep
1377641.  Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:31 am Reply with quote

Northern Ireland got theirs in paper form. It led my partner to conclude he's single, and he would still be if we were actually living together.

 
Brock
1385372.  Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:18 am Reply with quote

From an article in today's "i" entitled "plenty to look forward to this summer":

"With British Summer Time still in full swing, it means we're being treated to brighter, lighter mornings, so set your alarm an hour earlier and get outside to enjoy those peaceful summer mornings."

No, BST means we're getting lighter evenings. There's actually less daylight in the mornings than there would be without BST. It'd be light at about 4.15am around here otherwise.

That's not the only piece of nonsense about daylight I've read today. This from an online article dated 4 July:

"As the days become lighter, it's getting harder to stay awake at night and get back to sleep if the sun does rouse you."

The days are not becoming lighter. We're past the summer solstice and they're getting gradually darker!

You'd really think that people would get the hang of this after a while, wouldn't you?

 
Alexander Howard
1385373.  Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:59 am Reply with quote

Well quite. Summer (not the clock change) means brighter mornings and evenings. The change in the clock is so that winter mornings are not as dark as they would be if workers went to work at the same hour as in the summer.

The noticeable effect is brighter summer evenings. BST effectively means the mornings are less bright than they would be at any given hour had the clocks not changed.

 
Dix
1385383.  Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:22 pm Reply with quote

Erm...
The clock manipulation is in the summer months. "Winter time" in the UK is = GMT.

 

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group