View previous topic | View next topic

HS2 or gigabit internet?

Page 7 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Should we fund HS2 or free gigabit internet connections to every household and business in the UK
HS2
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Free gigabit internet connections
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
Something else
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

crissdee
1385282.  Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:17 pm Reply with quote

Probably wrong here, but suppose they installed an extra set of rails inside the normal two, just for the length of the tunnel, and equipped the train with extra wheels that only came into use on the extra track, so that the load was distributed over a greater contact area, would that help dissipate the force and reduce the shock wave?

Leith
1385285.  Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:34 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Yes, but whatever the load-bearing member is it will have to be within the standard rail footprint, so it's going to be putting the load into a similar area of the concrete which (in wave propagation speed terms) will be pretty-well the same place where the rest of the pressure is reacted.

I was thinking about describing two toothpaste tubes joined by a pipe, but this is getting too weird.

PDR

I get that any ground support in close proximity would be subject to much the same effect (unless... can a non-uniform foundation structure create variance in surface wave propagation speed that inhibits the build up of a wave front?)
In a tunnel there are one or more walls and a roof to consider too, though I suspect the potential for Rayleigh wave concentrations on a suspended monorail doesn't bear thinking about.

Bear in mind I work with excitable young astrophysicists, so my threshold for explorations of the weird is necessarily fairly high. I'm pretty sure if this topic had come up in one of our pre-covid lunchtime discussions at least one of them would be looking for ways to incorporate plasma balloons by now.

Page 7 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7