View previous topic | View next topic

Kermit is Evil

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

CB27
1376004.  Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:13 pm Reply with quote

So, I'm actually picking up on something that's been doing the rounds for several years, but it came up in a conversation today and I thought I'd mention it here.

I'm sure everyone is aware of the cinematic masterpiece that is "It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie", which was released in late 2002.

In case you missed the subtle hints in the movie, it's a spoof of, amongst others, It's a Wonderful Life.

Therefore, we have a plot in which Kermit is shown a possible version of his present time (2002) if he hadn't been born. In one particular scene in Miss Piggy's apartment we can clearly see the Twin Towers still standing, which means in that reality 9/11 and subsequent events did not take place. This therefore implies that Kermit's existence was responsible for those events going ahead.

Of course, the powers that be have tried covering this bombshell up by letting the film's director be asked about this publicly several times, and answering on Twitter and elsewhere that this was because the background imagery they got from a Canadian company was over a year old and was therefore not up to date.

But could they be hiding something?

Leith
1376006.  Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:35 pm Reply with quote

Kermit became adept at hiding his true nature in his later career, with records of his earlier work ruthlessly suppressed, until they were leaked onto YouTube:
https://youtu.be/HVewx3-9x24

Brock
1376007.  Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:56 pm Reply with quote

It doesn't necessarily follow that Kermit is evil at all. It could be that the perpetrators of the 9/11 attacks believed that Kermit was secretly running the US Government.

cornixt
1377064.  Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:10 am Reply with quote

I think it is just that Kermit and Sesame Street was what enabled the perpetrators of 9/11 to learn English and get into the US.

Or maybe an episode of the Muppet Show that had detailed diagrams of the White House that caused them to change their main target away from WTC.

Brock
1377071.  Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:27 am Reply with quote

Or maybe they just hated the Muppet Show and were prepared to go to any lengths to get rid of it.

Leith
1377091.  Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:40 pm Reply with quote

Statler and Waldorf finally snapped?

CB27
1377098.  Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:48 pm Reply with quote

Actually the idea of learning English from TV is not bad.

When I came to the UK (aged 10) I didn't know any English, and spent my first two months sitting in front of the TV with a huge dictionary, picking up on words and phrases, not just learning about their meaning, but also how to pronounce them. By the end of the two months I was able to go into school and do well enough to be moved up to the top tier by the end of the year (each year had 5 classes broken into three tiers of academic ability).

AlmondFacialBar
1377104.  Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:58 pm Reply with quote

Also, there's apparently a generation of Dutch people who learned their German from Derrick, a German crime series. Which means it used to be a standing joke in Germany that any Dutch child's first German sentence is: "Hol schon mal den Wagen, Harry" ("While you're at it, get the car, Harry!"), one of those well-remembered catchphrases the character in question never actually uttered.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Brock
1377107.  Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:12 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
Actually the idea of learning English from TV is not bad.

When I came to the UK (aged 10) I didn't know any English, and spent my first two months sitting in front of the TV with a huge dictionary, picking up on words and phrases, not just learning about their meaning, but also how to pronounce them.

Victor Borge arrived in the US from Denmark in 1940, aged 31, without a word of English, and learned the language from watching movies. A year later, he was performing on the radio, and he developed quite complex linguistic routines like "Inflationary Language" and "Phonetic Punctuation". I still find that incredible.

tetsabb
1377136.  Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:31 am Reply with quote

When I spent my year in Moscow, watching TV helped me learn new words and phrases to a great degree.
Though I did confuse myself watching ice hockey, when I was puzzled that this guy named Shaiba (шайба) seemed to play in every game.
It's the Russian for 'puck'. 🤪😒

Jenny
1377157.  Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:04 am Reply with quote

I have some Danish friends who told me that because Danish TV showed a lot of English-speaking programmes with subtitles, they found English easy to pick up.

I know when I watch German or French shows with subtitles it helps my vocabulary and understanding.

Dix
1377167.  Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:44 pm Reply with quote

True, that.
I remember from my early teen years that they had some technical trouble at the start of an episode of some detective series and none of us noticed that "Where's the body?" wasn't subtitled.

In those days they had to stop, repair the technical issue and restart. They restarted that one several times.
Today they'd probably let it run, sort out whatever the issue was, and press the "next text" button really fast a number of times.

CB27
1377437.  Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:27 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
When I spent my year in Moscow, watching TV helped me learn new words and phrases to a great degree.
Though I did confuse myself watching ice hockey, when I was puzzled that this guy named Shaiba (шайба) seemed to play in every game.
It's the Russian for 'puck'. 🤪😒

Reminds me of the time a friend was working in a Greek shipping office and asked me if my mum's name is Greek. I was a bit confused by this because it's not. He then asked his boss the next time why so many people he talks to are called Malka, and that's when we learned that the Greek for asshole is Malaka...

AlmondFacialBar
1377440.  Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:45 am Reply with quote

FWIW, two jobs ago it took me a much longer time than would strictly be justified for a person of average intelligence to cop that the Polish healthcare industry doesn't boast an unusually high number of people with the name of Tak...

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

CB27
1377462.  Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:07 pm Reply with quote

All of them living with Mr Prawo Jazdy?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next