View previous topic | View next topic

QI meet-up - Avebury, Saturday 6 November

Page 1 of 11
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

A proposal has been made to hold a QI meet-up at some time between October 24th and November 13th, preferably somewhere to the west of London. The following locations have been suggested. Which would you prefer?
Windsor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bath
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Cookham (Berkshire)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Brooklands/Weybridge (Surrey)
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Henley-on-Thames
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
London
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Avebury
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Somewhere else
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

Brock
1387714.  Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:10 am Reply with quote

Previous discussion is contained in post 1386725 and subsequent posts in that thread. Some options discussed below may not be included in the poll above.

EDIT (1 Oct): The date is now confirmed as Saturday 6 November.
EDIT (15 Oct): The venue is confirmed as Avebury in Wiltshire.

Last edited by Brock on Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:03 pm; edited 5 times in total

Jenny
1387746.  Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:00 am Reply with quote

I've added an option.

Actually, if it's feasible, I think London isn't a bad option. Yes there are transport costs to get there, but there's a lot of free stuff and not awfully expensive interesting stuff to do.

crissdee
1387751.  Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:09 am Reply with quote

If it is London, then I would either have to bow out, or arrange an overnight stay. It is at least 180 miles/4hrs each way, and doing that twice would make for a long day. I will look into the train situation, that might be easier.

bobwilson
1387788.  Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:58 pm Reply with quote

What day of the week are we talking here? (You surely wouldn't want to miss out on my heavily opinionated lectures - ;))

Brock
1387791.  Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:23 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
What day of the week are we talking here? (You surely wouldn't want to miss out on my heavily opinionated lectures - ;))

It hasn't been decided yet. My preference would have been for Saturday October 30th, the last day of BST (not only more daylight in the evening, you get an extra hour in bed to recover from the journey home!). However that's inconvenient for Jenny, who is only in the country for three weeks and who has family commitments that take priority. So we're leaving it open for the time being.

Jenny
1387809.  Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:01 am Reply with quote

Bobwilson - do you have a day of the week that you either know you can or know you can't make? Brock is flexible and so am I and so is crissdee I believe. Most people are stuck with a weekend day but unfortunately, because of family commitments as Brock says, I am in limbo about that because my kids are mainly available at the weekend.

Jenny
1387810.  Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:15 am Reply with quote

At the moment, west of London somewhere seems to be the best option for the majority. Please put on your thinking hats for somewhere interesting but not particularly expensive.

We've had suggestions including Brooklands and the nearby bus museum, Cookham, Windsor (generally agreed to be expensive), and Bath (also expensive). The last meet up I went to was in Bristol and we went to the Brunel ship, so I'm guessing we don't want to repeat that.

I'll throw out a few more:

Warwick Castle (20 entry though)
Kenilworth Castle and Elizabethan Garden (under 14, cheaper if over 65 - can't imagine the garden will be much of an attraction in late October/November though)

There's a list of possible places that are free to enter from English Heritage here.

Somewhere in the Shropshire/Wiltshire/Herefordshire area might be worth thinking about. Those are easily reachable. Avebury is free and interesting, especially with Silbury Hill nearby, and the Red Lion pub right in the middle of the circle does a damn fine ploughman's lunch. Stonehenge/Salisbury isn't that far away from it either.

If we can make this during the week, the last week in October is usually half term, which would enable anybody with a school-based job to come along.

Brock
1387826.  Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:02 am Reply with quote

[Are we going to move the main discussion to this thread? I'm sorry for creating a duplicate thread on the topic, but there was no other way of setting up a poll.]

Jenny wrote:
At the moment, west of London somewhere seems to be the best option for the majority.

Agreed - which is why I only included those options in the poll. If we're going to start considering other parts of the country, I may not be able to attend so easily.

EDIT: Just to give a better idea of what I regard as a day-trip, I can travel about as far north as Birmingham, as far east as London, as far south as Weymouth and as far west as Swansea. Anything outside that radius and I'd be struggling.

Quote:
I'll throw out a few more:

Warwick Castle (20 entry though)
Kenilworth Castle and Elizabethan Garden (under 14, cheaper if over 65 - can't imagine the garden will be much of an attraction in late October/November though)

I wouldn't call either of those "west of London". I can probably just about manage either of them on a day trip from Bath, but it's getting to the limit of what I would consider practical.

Quote:
Somewhere in the Shropshire/Wiltshire/Herefordshire area might be worth thinking about.

I don't understand what this means, sorry. Wiltshire is not contiguous with either Shropshire or Herefordshire. I'm sitting a few miles from the Wiltshire border at this moment, but to get to Herefordshire I'd have to go right through Gloucestershire, and Shropshire is even further away - probably too far for a day-trip.

Quote:
Avebury is free and interesting, especially with Silbury Hill nearby, and the Red Lion pub right in the middle of the circle does a damn fine ploughman's lunch. Stonehenge/Salisbury isn't that far away from it either.

I could certainly do Avebury - it's only about twenty miles away, though I'd probably have to come by bus as there's no railway station nearby. Salisbury is very easy for me to get to.

Will you be adding these options to the poll, Jenny? I don't seem to be able to edit it myself.

tetsabb
1387848.  Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:28 pm Reply with quote

Salisbury cathedral has a very tall spire, so my Russian sauces tell me
😉

Jenny
1387912.  Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:28 am Reply with quote

Would that be the sauce they apparantly scattered around the place, tets?

Brock - I am well aware that those shires aren't contiguous. They are simply thoughts at the moment for people to consider. People can decide for themselves what is or isn't within their reach, and we will not be able to please everybody.

Meetings I have been to in the past have been in London (Baker Street and the Sherlock Holmes museum), Milton Keynes (Bletchley and a nearby pub) and Bristol (the Great Eastern and a nearby pub). I think there may well have been other meetings I haven't been to or possibly have forgotten.

crissdee
1387924.  Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:52 am Reply with quote

There was one near the studio where we pretty much just stayed in the pub. It was just before Janet and Mike got hitched, because we were discussing wedding presents. I know you and Woodsman were there because it was the first time I had met him. Leith, Bondee, and Neotenic were also there, and (iirc) PWUM was walking in as I turned up.

Brock
1387929.  Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:02 am Reply with quote

Well I'd like to switch my vote to Avebury if I may - I previously voted for Henley-on-Thames out of the options that were originally listed. It's only down the road for me, but I haven't been there since I was a small child and I've almost forgotten about it.

At the moment there are only two other votes, both for Brooklands.

Jenny
1387932.  Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:15 am Reply with quote

Yes you're right crissdee - I remember that one. Eggshaped was also there.

Avebury appeals to me - I've been a couple of times, but it is an interesting place with a great pub slap bang in the middle.

Jenny
1387934.  Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:17 am Reply with quote

We could probably arrange car transport from whatever station happens to be nearest (I will certainly be in a car) assuming people are willing to carpool - I take PDR's earlier point about sharing close quarters with people during a pandemic. Masks can and maybe should be worn.

Brock
1387938.  Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:30 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
We could probably arrange car transport from whatever station happens to be nearest

It's almost equidistant from the main London-Bristol line and the Reading-Taunton line. Connecting Wiltshire says:

Chippenham: 14 miles
Great Bedwyn: 13 miles
Pewsey: 10 miles
Swindon: 11 miles (bus to Avebury)
Trowbridge: 21 miles (bus to Avebury)

I'd have thought that Swindon was the best station out of that lot, as it has the most frequent service, but it depends on where people are coming from.

Page 1 of 11
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next