View previous topic | View next topic

Rugby 2021

Page 7 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Celebaelin
1384957.  Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:53 am Reply with quote

Wales 20 Argentina 20

This one may have passed under your radar but it made for rather strange viewing even if it didn't. Initial slow scoring got us beyond 30 minutes at 6-3 and then an Argentinian red card for an avoidable clash of heads had me regretting the inequality that would doubtless ensue. Ensue it did but not in the way I had imagined as the Argentinians evened up the scores with a penalty and then went over for a try from in close to make it 6-13. After the interval they scored yet another try for 6-20 before Wales clawed their way back to parity with 2 tries of their own. OK, so 10 regular first choice players are on Lions duty and 2 are injured but I wouldn't have thought playing 14 men for 50 minutes would only get Wales as far as a draw.

tetsabb
1384984.  Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:04 am Reply with quote

Argentina have come in at rugby in just the way Italy have not.
It is not so long since this happened.

Celebaelin
1386006.  Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:30 am Reply with quote

British & Irish Lions 22 South Africa 17

Since Channel 4 will be showing this in about 10 minutes time I'll keep my comments short. Those of us lucky enough to have seen this on Sky yesterday witnessed a not altogether unpleasing game but one which seemed to lack much in the way of passion. There were one or two incidents which I haven't as yet had the opportunity to review but perhaps after recording the game I'll say my piece at greater length.

Alun Wyn Jones captained the Lions side extending his phenomenal record of representational appearances after a full recovery from the shoulder dislocation he suffered in the warm-up game against Japan.

The match coverage was limited to highlights so some of my questions will have to remain unanswered but the South Africans might well considered themselves unlucky with some of the TMO decisions the result is now a matter of record however so we must direct our attention to the second test next week.

Celebaelin
1386186.  Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:41 am Reply with quote

Both sides have made three changes in their starting selections for the second test; the benches also have a few additional changes.

Lions: 15. Stuart Hogg, 14. Anthony Watson, 13. Chris Harris, 12. Robbie Henshaw, 11. Duhan van der Merwe, 10. Dan Biggar, 9. Conor Murray, 1. Mako Vunipola, 2. Luke Cowan-Dickie, 3. Tadhg Furlong, 4. Maro Itoje, 5. Alun Wyn Jones (captain), 6. Courtney Lawes, 7. Tom Curry, 8. Jack Conan.

Replacements: 16. Ken Owens, 17. Rory Sutherland (swapped out for Vunipola), 18. Kyle Sinckler, 19. Tadhg Beirne, 20. Taulupe Faletau, 21. Ali Price (swapped out for Murray), 22. Owen Farrell, 23. Elliot Daly (Harris brought into squad for Williams and starts).

Springboks: 15. Willie le Roux, 14. Cheslin Kolbe, 13. Lukhanyo Am, 12. Damian de Allende, 11. Makazole Mapimpi, 10. Handré Pollard, 9. Faf de Klerk, 1. Steven Kitshoff, 2. Bongi Mbonambi, 3. Frans Malherbe, 4. Eben Etzebeth, 5. Franco Mostert, 6. Siya Kolisi (capt), 7. Pieter-Steph du Toit, 8. Jasper Wiese.

Replacements: 16. Malcolm Marx, 17. Trevor Nyakane (swapped out for Malherbe), 18. Vincent Koch (for the injured Nché, Kitshoff starts), 19. Lood de Jager, 20. Marco van Staden (brought into squad for Rynhardt Elstadt), 21. Kwagga Smith (brought into squad for Elton Jantjies), 22. Herschel Jantjies, 23. Damian Willemse.

We should expect all replacements from both sides to see fairly substantial game time irrespective of any injuries - by which I mean of the order of 10 minutes or more rather than a token foot on the pitch at the close of play.

On a separate point the Team GB Olympic rugby 7s team were convincingly defeated by New Zealand in the semi-finals after a good showing. In that game however their ground play could easily have been better and they failed to exploit what little turnover ball they did secure.

Celebaelin
1386191.  Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:02 am Reply with quote

The final of the Olympic 7s Fiji vs New Zealand is on now.

Fiji are the holders and have scored first.

Celebaelin
1386398.  Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:48 am Reply with quote

Fiji won gold again.

The second test in South Africa starts in about 15 minutes.

Celebaelin
1386411.  Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:25 pm Reply with quote

British & Irish Lions 9 South Africa 27

Almost a complete mirror image of the first test this one, in the second half mainly, was plagued by decisions which, on the basis of the video evidence, the Lions were unjustifiably on the wrong side of.

Since the highlights will not appear on terrestrial television until tomorrow not till that point will I have the opportunity to review and potentially reform this point of view but for the time being I'll say that I'm unconvinced by many of the refereeing decisions made in either of the tests played so far. At least the outcome is that the series is level with everything still to play
for.

I look forward to the third test next week with no small amount of excitement and a certain degree of anxiety regarding the standard of decision making by the officials.

Brock
1386413.  Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:44 pm Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:

I look forward to the third test next week

Why did you feel it necessary to white out the word "week"? Is the timing of the next match supposed to be a surprise?

(Sorry if I've spoilt it for anyone!)

Celebaelin
1386415.  Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:32 pm Reply with quote

Isn't it obvious?

Week is a four letter word.

Brock
1386417.  Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:42 pm Reply with quote

No, it's even less obvious than before. I know that "week" is a four-letter word, and I have absolutely no idea why you needed to white it out, or indeed the fact that it's a four-letter word. It makes no sense whatsoever, unless it's just a joke that I'm too tired to appreciate.

Never mind, I'll just leave you to it.

Celebaelin
1386428.  Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:46 pm Reply with quote

Yes, you get some rest - you clearly need it. I can understand people becoming exhausted by pointless, humourless nit-picking but until now I didn't realise that the activity was of itself tiring; you must regularly find yourself extremely tired.

Last edited by Celebaelin on Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

Brock
1386442.  Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:17 am Reply with quote

There's no need to be rude. I simply asked you a question.

I've had some sleep now and re-read your post, and I still don't understand it. If it was meant to be a joke, I don't find it funny. Sorry.

Wish I'd never asked now.

Celebaelin
1386464.  Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:41 am Reply with quote

Trust me so do I.

I responded to your question in a good-natured manner and you simply re-iterated your criticism with all the wit and charm of a dyspeptic rhinoceros; despite your claims of nonchalance you continue to hold on to this piffling point as yet another example of how my contributions to this board are beneath the magisterial high standards you demand of those whose posts you choose to read (although I've only ever noticed your criticisms being directed at me) - that being the case I suggest that either you stop reading my offerings or you restrain yourself from setting out your needless criticism if you can possibly forbear given the egregious nature of my use of English. Was the meaning clear? To those literate in English I would imagine so, yes. Did I assume that your initial complaint was nothing more than a simple tease? Naturally; but with the subsequent humourless response it became apparent that you don't regard this as a trivial matter and that your objection to my whiting out of the word 'week' is strongly felt on your part for reasons that only you and a dedicated and talented team of psychiatrists working together on your neurosis for a number of years could ever determine*.

If you can't be bothered to be civil in your interactions with me I see no reason why I should waste time being anything less than forthright in my responses - not rude per se, simply forthright.

* that was a bit insulting - but amusingly so I hope.

Brock
1386467.  Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:04 am Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
Trust me so do I.

I responded to your question in a good-natured manner and you simply re-iterated your criticism with all the wit and charm of a dyspeptic rhinoceros; despite your claims of nonchalance you continue to hold on to this piffling point as yet another example of how my contributions to this board are beneath the magisterial high standards you demand of those whose posts you choose to read (although I've only ever noticed your criticisms being directed at me) - that being the case I suggest that either you stop reading my offerings or you restrain yourself from setting out your needless criticism if you can possibly forbear given the egregious nature of my use of English. Was the meaning clear? To those literate in English I would imagine so, yes. Did I assume that your initial complaint was nothing more than a simple tease? Naturally; but with the subsequent humourless response it became apparent that you don't regard this as a trivial matter and that your objection to my whiting out of the word 'week' is strongly felt on your part for reasons that only you and a dedicated and talented team of psychiatrists working together on your neurosis for a number of years could ever determine*.

If you can't be bothered to be civil in your interactions with me I see no reason why I should waste time being anything less than forthright in my responses - not rude per se, simply forthright.

* that was a bit insulting - but amusingly so I hope.

Please withdraw the above post. All of it.

If you think I'm amused by being insulted, then I'm afraid to have to disappoint you. I most certainly am not.

I seem to remember a previous discussion in which you talked about the fact that you have been randomly physically assaulted by a number of complete strangers. If this is the way you speak to them, I can see why.

Brock
1386468.  Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:15 am Reply with quote

Oh, I must comment on this bit:

Celebaelin wrote:
I've only ever noticed your criticisms being directed at me

Blimey, you think I single you out specially for criticism? Don't flatter yourself.

I've got into a number of scrapes with various people on this forum, as I'm sure others will testify. Most of them aren't as thin-skinned as you, it seems.

I am genuinely sorry for any offence caused, and I will drop the subject forthwith.

Page 7 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next