View previous topic | View next topic

Rugby 2021

Page 8 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Celebaelin
1386481.  Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:49 pm Reply with quote

Aaaaaaaaanyway I'll assume that anyone with an interest in the rugby knows the result of the second test by now. The highlights weren't particularly enlightening; as they were they merely confirmed my initial views - which were entirely in accord with Nigel Owens' so I am at least in good company. The overall state of the series is probably about right but the means by which we've arrived at a third test decider have been far from ideal.

Whether the South Africans will have something to celebrate during their continued lockdown remains to be seen but little of what I have witnessed so far leads me to be optimistic as regards the Lions' chances of winning the series.

Celebaelin
1386880.  Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:45 pm Reply with quote

Third Test 5pm tomorrow

Lions

15. Liam Williams (Scarlets, Wales) #833
14. Josh Adams (Cardiff Rugby, Wales) #836
13. Robbie Henshaw (Leinster Rugby, Ireland) #824
12. Bundee Aki (Connacht Rugby, Ireland) #837
11. Duhan van der Merwe (Worcester Warriors, Scotland) #841
10. Dan Biggar (Northampton Saints, Wales) #821
9. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors, Scotland) #843
1. Wyn Jones (Scarlets, Wales) #842
2. Ken Owens (Scarlets, Wales) #829
3. Tadhg Furlong (Leinster Rugby, Ireland) #818
4. Maro Itoje (Saracens, England) #825
5. Alun Wyn Jones – captain (Ospreys, Wales) #761
6. Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, England) #826
7. Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, England) #853
8. Jack Conan (Leinster Rugby, Ireland) #839

Replacements:

16. Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, England) #851
17. Mako Vunipola (Saracens, England) #787
18. *Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, England) #814 – subject to outcome of disciplinary hearing.
19. Adam Beard (Ospreys, Wales) #852
20. Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs, England) #849
21. Conor Murray (Munster Rugby, Ireland) #790
22. Finn Russell (Racing 92, Scotland) #835
23. Elliot Daly (Saracens, England) #822

Springboks

15. Willie le Roux
14. Cheslin Kolbe
13. Lukhanyo Am
12. Damian de Allende
11. Makazole Mapimpi
10. Handré Pollard
9. Cobus Reinach
1. Steven Kitshoff
2. Bongi Mbonambi
3. Frans Malherbe
4. Eben Etzebeth
5. Lood de Jager
6. Siya Kolisi (captain)
7. Franco Mostert
8. Jasper Wiese

Replacements:

16. Malcolm Marx
17. Trevor Nyakane
18. Vincent Koch
19. Marco van Staden
20. Kwagga Smith
21. Herschel Jantjies
22. Morné Steyn
23. Damian Willemse.

Celebaelin
1386977.  Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:28 am Reply with quote

South Africa 19 British & Irish Lions 16

A better performance from the Lions but disappointingly too prone to handling errors to secure the test and the series. While the broader expectation did not favour a Lions win it was still disheartening and one or two eyebrows were raised over refereeing decisions from time to time - right at the end of the first half the lack of a penalty award against the Boks for a reckless contact coming into the ruck was a talking point where I watched the game and it did seem a little incongruous but by no means was it clear that it was a scoring opportunity had the penalty been awarded. The end of the second half was also controversial but ultimately we're better served by moving on from this less than impressive test series with only the sadness that it wasn't on the whole a more entertaining spectacle.

tetsabb
1386985.  Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:41 am Reply with quote

I have just seen a pic and a story about the SA water carrier being in the one-goal area shouting instructions to his team as a Lions attack got close to the line.
If so, it's not really cricket, is it?

suze
1386993.  Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:14 am Reply with quote

Is the British and Irish Lions a concept whose time has passed?

Back in the day, the four individual nations rarely visited the Southern Hemisphere, and there was no World Cup. The sport was amateur, and selection for a Lions tour was a sort of lifetime achievement award.

All these things have changed by now. Are the Lions actually any more relevant to the world of professional rugby than the Harlem Globetrotters are to the world of professional basketball?

Celebaelin
1387011.  Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:35 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Is the British and Irish Lions a concept whose time has passed?

I don't think it is, no. The contributing nations are all proud of their national identities and tradition but all acknowledge that a Lions Jersey is an accolade over and above selection for their own national team.

If anything the playing of more Lions matches would be something to be desired in order for them to develop the same sort of familiarity with each other as teammates that is enjoyed by the national sides they play against. There is an argument that players of that quality do not need that in order to function together as a team but the Lions do not sweep all before them as an unassailable force and they never have; some of us would like to see that happen every so often!

Page 8 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8