View previous topic | View next topic

Rugby 2021

Page 1 of 8
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Celebaelin
1373781.  Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:11 am Reply with quote

This year's Six Nations begins today in 5 minutes time with Italy vs France followed closely by The Calcutta Cup from Twickenham. Wales play Ireland tomorrow at the Principality.

tetsabb
1373790.  Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:12 am Reply with quote

Italy 10, France 50
Italy deserved a try towards the end of the first half, but were denied it by the TMO spotting a slightly forward pass.
France's running game is a joy to behold, and Antoine Dupont is an absolutely awesome scrum half
Whenever they mention Teddy Thomas, I have in my mind an image of a smooth-talking, moustachioed cad, with a cigarette in a long holder, saying, "Hellloooo " to an attractive young woman...

suze
1373807.  Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:44 pm Reply with quote

While I freely admit that I am no expert on rugby, from what I saw of the England vs Scotland game it looked absolutely dire.

Am I being unfair?

tetsabb
1373811.  Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:48 pm Reply with quote

Yes

😃
... that was no pretty try-fest, but a dogged, hard-fought battle. Absolutely gripping until the last whistle.

Awesome display of determination and guts.

suze
1373812.  Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:53 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
Absolutely gripping until the last whistle.

Which, in a way, is precisely what was dire about it.

Without revealing the result just yet in case anyone has the game recorded to watch with dinner, the team that totally dominated the game only just won it. The team that couldn't be arsed came closer to winning than it had any business to.

Celebaelin
1373816.  Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:55 pm Reply with quote

I had a very similar thought - that one team seemed to regard the fact that they'd scored fewer points with a sort of incredulity and trusted that the aberration would right itself in due course if they just stood around looking bemused; to no-ones surprise except theirs this turned out not to be the case.

tetsabb
1373863.  Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:11 am Reply with quote

The question in my mind is whether Mr van der Merwe is from the East Lothian ilk, or from the awfully pleasant Aberdeenshire branch of the family?

suze
1373867.  Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:15 am Reply with quote

I had wondered about that too. It turns out that mnr van der Merwe hails from a town in the Western Cape called George. He played his age group representative rugby for a South African team called South Western Districts, so I imagine that George is somewhere near Stranraer.

Incidentally, his given name Duhan is after the Irish singist Johnny Duhan; his brother Akker is supposedly named after Mr Acker Bilk.

Nine of Scotland's starting fifteen were born in Scotland. Three of the team are actually English, one was born in France (although only because his Scottish father - also a rugbyist - was playing professionally in France at the time), and then alongside Duhan van der Merwe from George there is Sean Maitland from Tokoroa, Lanarkshire. (Scottish father, Samoan mother - but Tokoroa is not far from Hamilton, so it must be in Lanarkshire).

The Scottish bench included one Huw Jones. He was born in Edinburgh!

tetsabb
1373871.  Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:24 pm Reply with quote

As AFB might put it, Peter O'Mahony, you're a feckin' eejit.

suze
1373874.  Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:44 pm Reply with quote

Ireland's C J Stander is from the same George as Duhan van der Merwe, although old cynics like me might be surprised to learn that Josn van der Flier isn't. His grandparents were Dutch, but moved to Wicklow where they had a radiator factory.

Mr O'Mahony has little defence against the charge of being a feckin' eejit, and I dare say that Billy Burns has heard similar expressions in the last hour. Mr Burns is just quite simply English; he comes from Bath and speaks with an accent which owes considerably more to cider than it does to Guinness. To put that another way, if he's Irish then the Welsh try scorer Louis Rees-Zammit - born in Penarth - is Maltese.

I am willing to accept Tualupe Faletau's assertion that the Tonga where he was born is the Tonga just outside Ebbw Vale, because he really does have a Welsh accent and he can speak Welsh!

tetsabb
1373890.  Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:38 pm Reply with quote

I wonder if that SA town has an ASDA with a clothes dept.

Celebaelin
1373895.  Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:29 pm Reply with quote

I think we're probably safe to give scores at this point:

England 6 Scotland 11

Wales 21 Ireland 16

Both results were contrary to my expectation. In both cases, for reasons which were only passingly to do with the passage of play, the results were appropriate however. From a Welsh standpoint in particular a win of any variety is a welcome thing at the moment and will hopefully have a settling effect on Pivac's still new and unconsolidated regime.

And rather than put it in a separate thread Tom Brady (with whom I share a birth date) just won his seventh Superbowl (LV). Six with New England and one, this one, with Tampa Bay 31-9 against Kansas City.

Alfred E Neuman
1373896.  Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:30 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
I wonder if that SA town has an ASDA with a clothes dept.

No, but it does have a mountain that Hansie Cronje flew into...

tetsabb
1373900.  Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:07 am Reply with quote

I thought Scotland were superb, playing with terrific spirit. Though their overwhelming possession did not result in the number of points one might have hoped for, suggesting a slight lack of finishing power.
Never mind a Plan B, England appeared to have no Plan A.

Wales will be glad to have got a win, but were very laboured against 14 men for most of the match. I thought Ireland never gave up, and so nearly could have stolen it at the end.

France were superb.

suze
1373928.  Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:29 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
France were superb.

Were they, or were Italy garbage?

I'm not sure precisely who it was, but when I was driving to work this morning there was someone on the wireless calling for Italy to be kicked out of the competition because they're not good enough.

They do seem to get worse year on year, so did whoever that was have a point?

Page 1 of 8
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next