View previous topic | View next topic

Rugby 2021

Page 5 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

tetsabb
1376978.  Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:31 am Reply with quote

CJ Stander to retire
Now there's a surprise. A player I have always thoroughly enjoyed watching.

suze
1377005.  Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:27 pm Reply with quote

Might it turn out to be the sort of "retirement" that actually means "I've had an offer I couldn't refuse to go back and play in South Africa"

mnr Stander makes it no secret that he still considers South Africa his home, or that he still considers Afrikaans to be his frst language. Who knows what conversations he might have had with his brother-in-law, an Olympic gold medaler as a swimmist and now a wealthy businessman, who turned down a serious money offer to swim for Qatar rather than South Africa.

Celebaelin
1377203.  Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:47 am Reply with quote

Round 5 - if it weren't for the postponement it would all have been decided today; it still might be.

Sat 20 Mar 2021

Scotland vs Italy
KO 14:15 GMT

Ireland vs England
KO 16:45 GMT

France vs Wales
KO 20:00 GMT

I'm starting to feel genuine excitement already and this will only build over the day I'm sure; I wonder how I'll be feeling come 10 o'clock tonight.

tetsabb
1377228.  Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:17 am Reply with quote

Does anyone else find it ironic that the players take a stand against racism just before knocking lumps out of each other on the basis of the opposition speaking a different language and coming from elsewhere on the planet?

tetsabb
1377235.  Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:20 am Reply with quote

A player I have enjoyed this series is Scotland's Hamish Watson, the rampaging No 7.
I enjoy the commentary from Andrew Cotter, even if it does not involve his dogs.
A lovely moment then, when Cotter observed, "Hamish Watson, doing Hamish Watson things."
Made me smile.

suze
1377241.  Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:23 am Reply with quote

If Celebaelin should be a happy man come 10.00 tonight, will next week's game between France and Scotland be quietly binned off?

tetsabb
1377258.  Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:38 pm Reply with quote

Has Cel got a date?
😉

suze
1377263.  Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:12 pm Reply with quote

You don't need to be a rugby expert to notice that England were garbage in today's game. I'm not one, and England were garbage.

But one thing we did note was the England full back doing a drop kick conversion of a try, rather than the usual kick from a tee. It's allowed, but the good husband tends to think that only village idiots actually do it and it looks crap any higher than the 7th XV. Is he hopelessly out of touch here, or does he have received opinion on his side?

Celebaelin
1377274.  Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:36 pm Reply with quote

France 32 Wales 30

No complaints about the result in Paris but it was a strange game - in common with the commentary team I'm having trouble understanding what on earth happened ultimately; especially in the closing minutes. The cards for both teams towards the end of the match cast a shadow over the game and rather marred the experience but it is perhaps fitting that France won through having one more player on the pitch for the last 10 minutes bearing in mind the nature of Wales' wins earlier in the tournament. That the precise circumstances were that a Frenchman was red carded and two Welshmen were yellow carded further muddies the waters. To have the only two Welsh yellow cards of the 2021 Six Nations both awarded in quick succession in the last 10 minutes of their last game is just loopy. Especially so when the final action of the game was the winning French try 2 minutes or so after the clock had gone into the red.

In many ways it was the game which had everything - with the possible exception of a happy ending; but even that is as yet uncertain as the bonus point for being within seven points of the winner means the French not only have to beat Scotland in next week's postponed fixture but must do so with a bonus point win and a 20 point margin in order to become the 2021 champions.

Last edited by Celebaelin on Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Celebaelin
1377277.  Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:59 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Is he hopelessly out of touch here, or does he have received opinion on his side?

I have no particular feelings on the matter but it is generally harder to conduct a drop goal and they will not to cover the same distances as a place kick. Generally it's probably better to let the kicker take the kick in the way he chooses and only interfere should he persist with an unsuccessful approach.

tetsabb
1377318.  Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:58 am Reply with quote

Not only were England poor, but Ireland were excellent with their patient build-up.

Scotland were competent against Italy. If you get a bonus point for 4 tries should you not get another for 8?
One my favourite players in this series has been Hamish Watson, the Scottish No7. I enjoy Andrew Cotter's commentary, even without his dogs, so it was a lovely moment when, as Watson went on yet another rampaging run, Mr Cotter said "Hamish Watdon, doing Hamish Watson things"

Once again, massive frustration with Italy. How long have they been in the 6 Nations? Compare and contrast with Argentina whose participation with NZ, SA and Aus has led to them making massive improvements so much so they beat the All Blacks back in November https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/54942697

As for France vs Wales.... wow! I am still processing it.
I have been keeping up a conversation on FB messenger and WhatsApp with a friend and my brother during the matches this year.
At the point where France were already a man down, and Willemse was sent off, I remarked that France had lost their cohesion. Little did I know....
There is a delicious irony that Wales had benefitted from opponents being carded in the games with Ireland and Scotland. Personally, I thought Ireland had the beating of them until Mr O'Mahony was sent off, and it could have been different if Burns' penalty at the death had found touch.
I noticed that Sam Warburton and Jamie Robert's in the studio were quick to praise the referee team for their accuracy.

Celebaelin
1377857.  Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:22 pm Reply with quote

The BBC are saying that France need to win by 21 points or more (with a minimum of four tries) - this is not necessarily so.

A 20 point margin will suffice as long as they score six tries since the Welsh scored a total of 20 tries and their current total up until kick-off was 15.

As things are currently with 17 minutes played the French are short of this elevated try total to the tune of six.

As I've quoted before in another thread

Quote:
The Championship positions are decided as follows:

The Union with the highest number of Match Points will be placed first and the other Unions placed in descending order according to the Match Points awarded.

If two or more Unions finish the Championship with the same number of Match Points, they will be placed according to the difference between the total points scored and the total points conceded on the fields of play in all Matches.

If any such Unions also have the same points difference, they will be placed according to the number of tries (including penalty tries) scored by each Union in all Matches.

If any such Unions have also scored the same number of tries (including penalty tries), they will be placed equally.

https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/rules/

Celebaelin
1377862.  Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:04 pm Reply with quote

Another riveting game in Paris - I'll leave the result unsaid for the time being but a gripping game with the result on the night never certain and the result overall never really in doubt.

Leith
1377868.  Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:03 pm Reply with quote

I missed most of it, but happened to turn on the TV at the critical moment. What a finish!

tetsabb
1377896.  Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:23 am Reply with quote

That was quite a game!
Part of me wanted France to win by 21 or whatever, just to deny Wales the title. But the Celtic part of me was rooting like hell for Scotland. I feared the worst for them when Russell was sent off, but they kept their composure.
I think Hamish Watson has become my favourite player of this generation.
I will probably add more thoughts later.

Page 5 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next