View previous topic | View next topic

Rugby 2021

Page 3 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

suze
1374430.  Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:57 am Reply with quote

Well, England won the game comfortably enough despite not being entirely convincing. A win is a win, but a defeat against Italy would probably have led to the coach resigning and fifteen changes for the next game.

But a question from the good husband. Having limited resources as they do, Italy's playbook contains fewer options than those of the other teams.

One of them is what Andy wants to call the "Gary Owen", but the commentators never used that name. Who was Gary Owen, and was he of an era that no one under 50 uses this term?

Celebaelin
1374433.  Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:48 pm Reply with quote

The only thing I've ever associated the expression with is the song; originally it was an Irish folk tune garryowen meaning Eóin's Garden. Until recently at least the term 'Garry Owen' was not unheard from the lips of Andrew Cotter (b. 20 July 1973).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garryowen_(air)#British_military_units

Garry Owen from 'They Died With Their Boots On' - supposedly the US 7th Cavalry borrowed this from the British 50th (Queen's Own) Regiment of Foot.

Meanwhile Wales are struggling (and currently failing) to keep pace with Scotland.

tetsabb
1374436.  Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:50 pm Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see Wales play against 15vmen for 80 minutes. Harsh red card, not as clear-cut as the feckin' eejit last week.

Celebaelin
1374439.  Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:15 pm Reply with quote

Fairly clear cut from my point of view - don't charge into loose play with no attempt to bind and a high risk of above the shoulder contact; if said contact does occur that's very probably going to be a red card for dangerous play. Actually no contact is necessary and just the first part would make it reckless enough for a red technically but that really would be harsh.

The Welsh side were actually coming back at the Scots rather better already when the carding happened and might have carried the game anyway - the way they're playing isn't filling me with confidence and national fervor as yet but the end results will do.

suze
1374452.  Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:16 pm Reply with quote

Going back quickly to the Garryowen, and since I've got sod all else to do this evening I've been dolng a bit of reading.

The Irish air Garryowen is the marching song of the US 7th Cavalry ("The Garryowens"), a regiment which was at one time commanded by George Armstrong Custer. It originated in Limerick as a drinking song, and is named after a park on the banks of the River Shannon in that city. That park was behind a church dedicated to John the Baptist, hence Eoin's Garden or Garryowen.

Limerick was the second city in Ireland, after Dublin, to take up the game of rugby. The first club to be properly constituted there based itself in the relevant area of the city, and so chose the name Garryowen. In the 1920s Garryowen RFC had the best team in Ireland, and during that era it invented this particular kicking tactic which was therefore named the Garryowen.

The tactic was borrowed into rugby league in the 1940s, first by the Dewsbury club at that time managed by one Eddie Waring. Since Mr Waring was a Yorkshireman with a flat cap, he chose not to borrow posh boy rugby union's name for the tactic and gave it the more prosaic name of Up And Under.

Mr Waring went on to become a noted broadcaster on rugby league. I am reliably informed that him saying Up And Under in his distinctive accent was a well known thing in the 1970s.

Celebaelin
1374461.  Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:24 am Reply with quote

Bloody quarter Irish colonial immigrants coming over here stealing our rugby trivia...

Eddie Warring became so well known he inspired musicians, impersonators and even scored a commentators job on the 'Marathon' on It's A Knockout (and the English language gig for the corresponding 'Fil Rouge' on Jeux Sans Frontières).

Brock
1374468.  Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:27 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:

Mr Waring went on to become a noted broadcaster on rugby league. I am reliably informed that him saying Up And Under in his distinctive accent was a well known thing in the 1970s.

I suspect that Mike Yarwood's impersonation of him (as linked to by Celebaelin) was the thing that actually made it famous. I think far more people watched Mike Yarwood than watched rugby league coverage.

Eddie Waring also made guest appearances on shows like The Morecambe and Wise Show and The Goodies.

tetsabb
1374478.  Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:36 am Reply with quote

In the England game, I think Farrell was lucky to avoid a card for one of his challenges.

As for today, can Ireland beat France without Sexton playing? It will be interesting to see how they get on.
Forecast for Dublin is wet and windy, which may suit them better than France.

Celebaelin
1374549.  Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:56 am Reply with quote

So to recap on the weekends activities of men with oval balls:

England 41 Italy 18

Predictable fare but Italy had some promising moments.

Scotland 24 Wales 25

Are Wales really worth two from two at the current stage of this team's evolution? Rising star Louis Rees-Zammit's contribution says yes; a worryingly penetrable defence latterly against a 14 man Scotland says no - we shall see.

Ireland 13 France 15

The French side are looking formidable and talking about the game more seriously than I've ever heard given voice by the team from other side of The Sleeve. One feels that they are buckling up for a place in the driving seat come their home World Cup in 2023. Irish pride was dented in Dublin and we can only speculate whether the domestic criticism of this first home loss against the French for a decade will knock them out of shape for any extended period.

Last edited by Celebaelin on Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total

tetsabb
1374580.  Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:23 am Reply with quote

Yes, France are certainly looking pretty good. Dupont, the scrum half, is a joy to watch. At one point, after he had slipped the ball to a player directly behind him, one of the commentators speculated as to whether he has mirrors fitted.

Last edited by tetsabb on Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Celebaelin
1374589.  Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:00 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
...after he had slipped the ball to a plate directly behind him...

Chacun à son goût.

Mobile device?

tetsabb
1374636.  Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:43 pm Reply with quote

Edit made...
FFS
Fat Finger Syndrome

Celebaelin
1375619.  Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:24 pm Reply with quote

Saturday 27 Feb 2021

Italy vs Ireland
KO 14:15 GMT

Wales vs England
KO 16:45 GMT

28 Feb 2021

France vs Scotland
P-P

Quote:
A Six Nations Rugby official statement said: “The Six Nations Testing Oversight Group (TOG) met today to review the situation in the French Camp.

“They unanimously recommended the postponement of the France v Scotland match. This will be ratified later today by the Six Nations Council.

“We will be working on the rescheduling of this fixture and will communicate the date in due course.”

https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/2021/02/25/france-v-scotland-postponed/

Celebaelin
1375785.  Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:11 am Reply with quote

Italy 10 Ireland 48

The margin was convincing enough but there was still something lacking in the Irish performance from my POV. Handling errors were more evident than I'd have liked from both sides giving the game an amateurish appearance at times though the Italians did show some emergent flair from time to time. That said the visitors didn't really punish their opposition in the way you'd expect for being down to 13 men at one stage in the fourth quarter. As I type, with the clock having just tipped over into the red, the Irish run in a fifth try and the successful conversion is the last action of the game; neither side can really be proud of their performance I wouldn't have thought.

Last edited by Celebaelin on Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Celebaelin
1375803.  Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:30 pm Reply with quote

Wales 40 England 24

... so is everybody OK with that then?

Page 3 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next