View previous topic | View next topic

Rugby 2021

Page 2 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

tetsabb
1373933.  Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:15 pm Reply with quote

Italy were not good, but les grenouilles were pretty excellent. I am sure the other teams will present more of a challenge, but Dupont is a fabulous player.

There is a lot of talk about some kind of relegation/promotion system to the next level. Apparently Spain, Georgia and Romania are keen on this.

suze
1373937.  Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:28 pm Reply with quote

What makes me think that (in particular) England will suddenly get much keener on that idea if it ever looks like Spain that might qualify to replace Italy?

tetsabb
1373941.  Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:35 pm Reply with quote

Are you thinking of Brits going to Madrid to watch, from their homes on the Costas?
What a quaint idea!

suze
1373943.  Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:49 pm Reply with quote

Well for sure, the idea of actually going to watch sporting events belongs to a bygone era.

But if such activities return, let us imagine that I am offering you a weekend's trip to either Madrid, București, or Tbilisi. Which would the most people consider an attractive proposition?

By the by, Spain doesn't have a national rugby stadium as such. Its national team plays most of its home games at the Madrid University sports ground. My friend and colleague Elena went to that university and got herself the Spanish equivalent of a blue for softball, so she may well have run around on that very field. I'll ask her next time I'm in school.

Celebaelin
1373950.  Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:42 pm Reply with quote

On the basis of rugby prowess Tbilisi is more likely.

tetsabb
1373955.  Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:48 pm Reply with quote

And I think Tbilisi in the spring might be quite pleasant. If they have not replaced old Soviet era signs, I would be able to read.

jaygeemack
1373969.  Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:49 pm Reply with quote

I was a student in Spain in the 1970s, and was used to playing football on the hard and sandy pitches. We were challenged to a game by the British Embassy and they told us they had booked a grass park in the Madrid University sports ground. Unfortunately, it was January, and the pitch was frozen solid.

suze
1373974.  Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:50 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
And I think Tbilisi in the spring might be quite pleasant. If they have not replaced old Soviet era signs, I would be able to read.

Georgia was nearly as quick to remove all evidence that it had ever been part of the USSR as the Baltic republics were, so I'd expect most of the signage in Tbilisi to be in the Georgian alphabet. The city is called თბილისი, and the country is called საქართველო. Good luck! On the other hand, if a second language is used on signage that language is usually English, which may make matters easier.

jaygeemack wrote:
I was a student in Spain in the 1970s, and was used to playing football on the hard and sandy pitches. We were challenged to a game by the British Embassy and they told us they had booked a grass park in the Madrid University sports ground. Unfortunately, it was January, and the pitch was frozen solid.

Even in January you were a bit unlucky there! Madrid is well inland and at 2,000 feet so it can get fairly cold in winter, but it's still typically warmer than London. (It gets snow slightly more often than London, and in fact there was a heavy snowfall in Madrid about three weeks ago.)

The Six Nations is played mostly in the month of February, so I just looked up average daytime temperatures for February in the cities which host Six Nations matches (all figures from Wikipedia). They are thus: Cardiff 8.6C, Dublin 8.3, Edinburgh 7.5, London 8.4, Paris 8.3, Roma 14.0.

The Rugby Europe Championship (the "Second Division" Six Nations) hasn't yet finished its 2020 season because of Chinese pestilence, and so only five of the competing teams for 2021 are yet known. Those are Georgia, Portugal, Romania, Russia, and Spain. The sixth will be either Belgium or the Netherlands.

Conducting the same exercise for these seven countries' usual home cities: Amsterdam 6.3C, Brussel / Bruxelles 6.8, București 5.5, Lisboa 16.2, Madrid 12.0, Soczi 9.9, Tbilisi 7.7.

I don't think I'd realised that Amsterdam and Brussels are quite so cold as that in winter, and I think all will be relieved that Russia doesn't play its games in Moskva (-3.7). Lisboa sounds rather pleasant in February though, so perhaps rugby fans should be hoping for Portugal to get good.

Celebaelin
1373981.  Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:09 am Reply with quote

What a fantastic looking script!

A brief check tells me that it (Mkhedruli) is one of three historically available to the Georgians.

tetsabb
1374311.  Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:41 am Reply with quote

I believe Twickers has under soil heating, but it is not clear if Murrayfield has the same for tomorrow's matches.
But then I played on pitches as a lad that had the consistency of concrete and it never did me any harclick fzzzwwwrrrrbbeeeeblавкеррппавапрооотрирр

Did it?

Celebaelin
1374328.  Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:58 am Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure Murrayfield does have underground heating.

Yep.

Quote:
The pitch profile is a modern, free draining fibresand, with undersoil heating that is often on for long periods during the winter months. "Soil and air temperatures in the stadium can often be 10-15 degrees lower than other national stadiums in the UK,"

https://www.pitchcare.com/news-media/murrayfield-of-dreams.html

tetsabb
1374332.  Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:43 pm Reply with quote

Ah, good, so play should be possible tomorrow.

suze
1374346.  Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:28 pm Reply with quote

All four Six Nations stadiums in These Islands have undersoil heating.

Murrayfield has had it since 1959, and was only the second sports stadium in the world to install it. The first was Goodison Park in Liverpool, the home of Everton FC, a year earlier.

Before I looked that up, I'd have guessed that some of the NFL stadiums in colder parts of the US would have had it earlier - but no, it was a British invention. I was not surprised to discover that Lambeau Field in Green Bay WI was the first NFL stadium to get it, but not until 1967.

Daytime frost in Rome, Italy is uncommon, and the Stadio Olimpico in that city is 89 years old. Even so, it too has undersoil heating, installed when the stadium was rebuilt for the 1990 (football) World Cup.

And yet the Stade de France doesn't have it, even though it was built in the 1990s. The official explanation is that the stadium is built on the site of an old gasworks and undersoil heating might cause an explosion, but it's pretty poor in a major world city which does get fairly cold in winter.

Celebaelin
1374414.  Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:36 am Reply with quote

14 minutes in and England 8-5 up against Italy.

There's a reticence in the England team's attack of the wide channels and a suspicion of a knock on in that area on Italy's right from the bouncing ball in the kick-on prior to the England try. No whistle however so England lead despite what at the moment seems to be a less than fully committed performance.

8-8 now (20 mins).

tetsabb
1374426.  Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:36 am Reply with quote

Garbisi, the Italian fly half, was born after the Millennium*. I feel very old.

*Let not have the argument about the century not starting till 2001, eh....?

Page 2 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next