View previous topic | View next topic

Should the news care it's a coup attempt?

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Dix
1388549.  Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:24 am Reply with quote

Bob, I haven't named the countries, I just said EU countries, i.e. not the UK. And it' unclear if the employment was by the military or by an embassy.

I don't think the actual country matters much, it's the principle of the thing. But you are probably correct. Extradition to somewhere where there is immediate danger of losing your life isn't usually done.

 
dr.bob
1388576.  Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:20 am Reply with quote

Dix wrote:
Bob, I haven't named the countries, I just said EU countries, i.e. not the UK. And it' unclear if the employment was by the military or by an embassy.


Yeah, I was trying to be suitably vague, but failed. Just replace the phrase "our country" with "the appropriate country" :)

Dix wrote:
I don't think the actual country matters much, it's the principle of the thing. But you are probably correct. Extradition to somewhere where there is immediate danger of losing your life isn't usually done.


And the death sentence is banned throughout the EU, IIRC.

 
Brock
1388580.  Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:50 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:

And the death sentence is banned throughout the EU, IIRC.


More than that: the death penalty is banned under the European Convention of Human Rights, to which 47 states are signatories (including all 27 EU member states).

 
Alexander Howard
1388593.  Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:00 am Reply with quote

When the European Commission presented their draft free trade agreement to follow Brexit, they included a long section on human rights and specifically it highlighted banning the death penalty. I always suspected this was just to annoy the traditionalist Tory back-benches. It might have been intended too to hinder a trade treaty with the United States.

The only EU government which still imposes the death penalty is Malta, and that's unofficial and only for journalists.

 

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group