View previous topic | View next topic

Should the news care it's a coup attempt?

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

CB27
1373310.  Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:56 am Reply with quote

Interesting that after the coup attempt in the US garnered so many headlines in the front pages, and plenty of hours on TV news and elsewhere, we find the coup in Myanmar garnering much less attention.

True, the countries are not equally influential, which explains much of this away, but I'm wondering if news media have also lost interest in the story since Aung San Suu Kyi lost some of her shine when she displayed what many see as racist attitudes in her defence of the treatment of Rohingya people.

Would that really be a good reason though? This is a military coup against the voting wishes of the majority of the population, detaining political opponents. Depending on how regional nations decide to react to these events, this could have an impact on the stability and politics of their neighbours as well.

Alexander Howard
1373315.  Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:53 am Reply with quote

The Burmese coup is on the front page of the BBC.

The difference in treatment is basically because Burma is looked upon as an unimportant corner of the world where this sort of thing happens all the time, while the USA is the most powerful country in the world where no one has tried to subvert a presidential election by force since 1861, nor by subversion since 2016.

Looking at what has happened in Burma and other countries which suffer actual coups d'ťtat, I think we should stop calling the QAnon riot in Washington a 'coup', when the plenty of people have seen what a real one looks like.

dr.bob
1373318.  Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:42 am Reply with quote

Alexander Howard wrote:
nor by subversion since 2016.

This shtick is getting pretty tiresome now, especially when we're trying to discuss serious topics. Give it a rest, will you.

barbados
1373319.  Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:17 am Reply with quote

Which bit are you finding tiresome.
The political situation in Myanmar is such that they are struggling to create a working democracy, and it is a fight they appear to be losing.

Once again, Aung San Suu Kyi has been placed under house arrest, following years of troubles politically.
Do you really think it is as shocking as the invasion of the Captol building in Washington- which hasnít happened since the Canadians did it before they became as polite as they are now?
Yes itís news, but is it a shock?

CB27
1373338.  Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:17 pm Reply with quote

Before the last few years, where everyone's obsession with US politics spiked to unimaginable levels, news of Burma wouldn't have simply "made it" onto the front page of the BBC website, it would have been the leading news today, and have had a number of talking points.

At the time of typing, the top 3 items on the BBC website are the South African variant, fire cladding costs, and Evan Rachel Wood accusing Marilyn Manson of abuse. Then there are stories about Gogglebox staff, Elon Musk, sounds to help you relax, etc. News on Myanmar is further down the page, under a piece about people's lives turned upside down by the coup.

Even when you go to the BB News section, it's sandwiched between news about Israel's vaccine roll out and an organised crime boss working in boxing.

AlmondFacialBar
1373353.  Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:00 pm Reply with quote

FWIW, it's been the lead item on RT… News all day, but then Ireland has always been big on the whole Myanmar democracy thing. Funny thing is, in the meantime everyone seems to have forgotten what the allegedly democratic government did to the Rohingya...

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

barbados
1373364.  Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:25 am Reply with quote

I think you have probably hit the nail on the head with that last sentence.

Shock is what sells news, news in itself is inherently boring so dramatic events, like the ones in Washington last month will always spark a lot of interest. There is a lot going on at the moment - The pandemic and itís cure is where most people are concentrating their attention at the minute. That is only going to be surpassed by something dramatic - and civil unrest in a state where civil unrest is a frequent occurrence is just one of those things.

PDR
1373368.  Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:10 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
Which bit are you finding tiresome.

I would have thought DrBob's post was pretty clear - the tiresome thing is the repeated attempts to suggest that there was somehow a comparable attempt at subversion in 2016. This is of course a lie - it's the "there were good people on both sides" equivocation that all the alt-right trump sycophants use to try to distract attention from the abhorrent nature of their views and actions.

Claiming equivalent insurrection took place in 2016 is the sort of thing you might get away with on a Brietbart chat show or in the "Ask Rudi" column of Vile Despot Weekly, but we don't really expect to see that sort of patently false crap here.

PDR

barbados
1373370.  Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:25 am Reply with quote

What Alexander Howard said was that there had been no attempt to subvert the election result by force since 1831 or by subversion since 2016.
That is how Trump won - we said it here, the methods used (actually on both sides of the debate) were very underhanded. That isnít to say there a good guys on both sides, more that the two sides were equally bad.

Are you suggesting that the events of Jan 6th wasnít a shocking occurrence?

Brock
1373374.  Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:35 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
What Alexander Howard said was that there had been no attempt to subvert the election result by force since 1831 or by subversion since 2016.

He did, but I don't understand what "subverting by subversion" means, beyond being a pointless tautology for "subverting". Can someone enlighten me please?

barbados
1373376.  Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:42 am Reply with quote

I took to mean in 1831 the subversion was by violence, the 2016 events were more by the underhanded tactics employed by both parties.

dr.bob
1373385.  Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:02 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Funny thing is, in the meantime everyone seems to have forgotten what the allegedly democratic government did to the Rohingya...

Which probably explains the media's reaction to the news (along with the fact that there are some other pressing stories that are happening closer to home right now).

Aung San Suu Kyi went from being a Nobel Peace prize-winning resistance activist to an apologist for genocide in her own country. The signs were pretty clear that Myanmar had not really transitioned into an enlightened democratic nation, but that the military were still very much in charge.

This is not so much a "coup", rather just the military leaders dispensing with the pretence that they're allowing democratic elections to decide how the country is run.

CB27
1373396.  Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:18 am Reply with quote

Hence paragraph 2 of my OP. Is that a good enough reason to treat a coup differently?

barbados
1373397.  Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:21 am Reply with quote

I would say if this happened in 2018 for example, there would have been more made of it.
But there is an awful lot of "news" going on at the moment.

dr.bob
1373407.  Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:50 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
Hence paragraph 2 of my OP. Is that a good enough reason to treat a coup differently?

I don't think it's as simple as Aung San Suu Kyi having "lost some of her shine". More that it was pretty clear that the military were still very much in charge, despite the pretence of holding democratic elections.

I think if Myanmar had fully transitioned over to democracy and was clearly being ruled by a leader with no military influence, then this would definitely count as a coup and the news outlets would be making a bigger deal of it. As I said above, that's not what's happened here. Rather it's just the military admitting what pretty much everyone else already realised was going on.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next