View previous topic | View next topic

Priti Awful

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

PDR
1380371.  Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:21 am Reply with quote

That gives the glass-half-empty and glass-half-full responses. Now we just need the no-thanks-I'm-driving and I'm-sure-it's-your-round opinions to complete the polls...

PDR

Alexander Howard
1380384.  Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:34 am Reply with quote

I think the 'ambitious, unscrupulous bastards out for themselves' suggestion sounds about right. I might add 'immature and not overburdened with intelligence', but I am biased having occasionally met political staffers.

CB27
1380396.  Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:14 am Reply with quote

Caught PMQ for the first time in ages, what an example of politics at it's worst (if you exclude any time Trump ever opened his mouth or tweeted anything).

Jenny
1380399.  Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:04 am Reply with quote

I just watched it too, on YouTube. A wonderful example of how not to answer a question, and multiple examples of arse-licking.

suze
1380432.  Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:14 pm Reply with quote

If I'm not busy I try to listen to PMQs on my phone, but today I was busy so I've just watched it on iPlayer instead.

As is suggested above, it was even worse than usual. Mr Johnson didn't really answer any of the substantive questions put to him, while a load of backbenchers with nothing better to do asked whether the PM would agree that everyone ought to vote Conservative in next week's elections. Unsurprisingly, that was a "yes".

Among the few highlights was the BBC mis-captioning Joy Morrissey (Con, Beaconsfield) as Diane Abbott. Given that Mrs Morrissey is a Conservative, American, and white, that cannot have been an easy mistake to make!

Mr Johnson asked Mr Speaker if he would rule Ian Blackford (SNP, Ross Skye and Lochaber) out of order for using the word "liar" in his question. Mr Speaker ruled the question in order, but "not savoury, and not what we would expect"; I have to say that if I were the Speaker I might have taken the PM's side there. It is a longstanding convention that you can't accuse another member of lying in the House, and Mr Blackford ought to have known that there are conventional other words to use if you want to do it.

All of tomorrow's newspapers bar two lead with the suggestion that the PM has acted improperly as regards his Downing Street apartment, and believe that he did make those remarks which I mentioned yesterday.

The Daily Mail and the Murdoch press have clearly turned against Mr Johnson, while Metro goes so far as to say that he should resign. The Daily Telegraph prefers to lead with a call for all COVID restrictions to be scrapped yesterday, while - as usual - the Daily Express prefers to fellate both Mr Johnson and the royal family on its front page.

PDR
1380433.  Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:51 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
It is a longstanding convention that you can't accuse another member of lying in the House, and Mr Blackford ought to have known that there are conventional other words to use if you want to do it.

It is also a long-standing convention that you don't lire to the House or lie in Ministerial office, and that if you are caught doing either before apologising then you resign. Abandoning this convention must inherently mean abandoning the other, and since Boris has clearly continued his well established preference for being a dishonourable, disreputably lying bullying piece of sub-human excrement I feel the Speaker had little choice.

It's high time the so-called man and his junta were sentenced to being recycled as cattle feed without benefit of clergy. If the Conservative and Unionist Party persist in supporting him then similar sentence should be passed on all its MPs, Councillors, members and supporters to make it clear that everyone will be held accountable for their actions.

PDR

suze
1380499.  Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:34 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
It is also a long-standing convention that you don't lire to the House or lie in Ministerial office, and that if you are caught doing either before apologising then you resign. Abandoning this convention must inherently mean abandoning the other.

That is a fair point as it goes, but I just can't see what is to be done about it.

A group of six parties has asked Mr Speaker for a debate on the subject of the PM's "repeated inaccuracies", and notes that Mr Johnson has given at least five demonstrably untrue answers at PMQs since he became PM, none of which he has retracted.

But it's difficult to see how Mr Speaker can grant that debate, and in any case the government has a majority so it would win the vote even if the debate were ever held.

Labour has chosen not to support that request for a debate; I don't know why not. But if Sir Keir Starmer called Mr Johnson a liar across the despatch box he would be ejected from the chamber - cue 20 page articles in most of the newspapers about what a disgrace Labour is.

The Tory media aren't going to call Mr Johnson out for lying, and if The Guardian does it the government will just say "Typical pinko slur, take no notice". The BBC can't do it because the government will simply close it down if it does, so what hope do we have?

jaygeemack
1380526.  Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:21 pm Reply with quote

I recall a story about Dennis Skinner, the Beast of Bolsover, claiming in parliament that half of the Tory cabinet were crooks. The speaker asked him to retract his statement, to which he replied, “OK, half of them aren’t crooks.”

CB27
1380565.  Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:33 am Reply with quote

Perhaps Labour and\or other parties should put on their manifestos that if in power they will table a proposal for an independent body, preferably judicial, that will review points of order or possibly other type of submission and rule on whether claims made are correct, ambiguous\incomplete, or incorrect. Their findings can be read out in the HoC, and if any are judged incorrect, they are marked as retracted by the house, and the concerned MP is suspended from debates and votes until they retract in the house as well.

I could see such a manifesto promise looking attractive to many people, and putting pressure on parties who refuse to back it.

Jenny
1380574.  Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:34 am Reply with quote

They could call it the Society for Noting Overreaching Points of Egregious Sham.

PDR
1380576.  Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:10 am Reply with quote

A truly mythical suggestion

PDR

PDR
1382078.  Sun May 23, 2021 10:38 am Reply with quote

I see Ms Patel has been spouting about the BBC's actions in the Diana/Bashir incident. I feel it ill-behoves a proven bully, liar and all round piece of subhuman slime like Ms Patel to start criticising the behaviour of others.

Maybe she's just trying to make some kind of mark before the judical review decides that Boris abjectly failed in his duty to sack her, so both have to be taken in chains to the Tower where they would be sentenced to summary execution without benefit of clergy.

PDR

tetsabb
1382086.  Sun May 23, 2021 12:08 pm Reply with quote

How dare you refer to her as slime!
There are some very useful and beautiful slimes in ponds and lakes everywhere.

Prof Wind Up Merchant
1389597.  Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:20 am Reply with quote

Priti could be breaking international law by asking for migrant boats to turn back to France.

It will not work as these people are determined to come.

Jenny
1389609.  Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:34 am Reply with quote

See also migrants on the southern border of the USA, who have managed to scale the bits of the border wall in as little as fifteen seconds.

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next