View previous topic | View next topic

Priti Awful

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

CB27
1380263.  Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:48 pm Reply with quote

I don't think it's that Johnson or other politicians are teflon, I think it's more a case of these politicians being shameless, their parties thinking they don't need to do anything, and voters who will vote for a pig in a rosette if it was the right colour rosette.

There's something seriously rotten with the state of democracy in several countries, the lack of accountability is jaw dropping.

suze
1380315.  Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:08 am Reply with quote

The BBC, ITV, and The Times now all have sources of their own who confirm the Daily Mail's claim that Mr Johnson did say what is alleged. Only the Daily Telegraph claims to believe Mr Johnson's denial - and that is the newspaper which would deny that Gary Glitter was a pervert if he happened to be a Conservative MP.

I really hope that the Conservative Party does extremely badly in next week's election round. Now OK, I don't support the party anyway and so you'd expect me to say that. But just maybe, losing Tunbridge Wells Borough Council - and the Lib Dems are making a fair bit of noise about fancying their chances - would make someone at Conservative HQ smell the coffee.

Alexander Howard
1380336.  Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:58 pm Reply with quote

The odd thing is, he will be judged on saying "I will let the bodies pile high", not on the fact that he did not actually let the bodies pile high. What would have happened if it had been the other way round?

What gets me is that whoever was leaking this stuff was presumably a Conservative Party member / supporter, so why would they knife their own party just before an election?

AlmondFacialBar
1380338.  Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:20 pm Reply with quote

Alexander Howard wrote:
The odd thing is, he will be judged on saying "I will let the bodies pile high", not on the fact that he did not actually let the bodies pile high. What would have happened if it had been the other way round

He did, though. The UK has the 11th highest per capita Covid death rate on the planet and one of the top 5 highest among the high GNI countries. Just saying.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

PDR
1380342.  Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:39 pm Reply with quote

Alexander Howard wrote:

What gets me is that whoever was leaking this stuff was presumably a Conservative Party member / supporter, so why would they knife their own party just before an election?

Could it be that the antics of the Johnson Junta are so utterly reprehensible that even they can't stomach them? Just like those lifelong and committed Labour supporters who voted against Corbyn.

PDR

suze
1380345.  Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:21 pm Reply with quote

That, or whoever is doing the leaking wants the PM's job for himself.

tetsabb
1380366.  Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:06 am Reply with quote

Alexander Howard wrote:

Because a lot of them are ambitious, unscrupulous bastards out for themselves?

PDR
1380371.  Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:21 am Reply with quote

That gives the glass-half-empty and glass-half-full responses. Now we just need the no-thanks-I'm-driving and I'm-sure-it's-your-round opinions to complete the polls...

PDR

Alexander Howard
1380384.  Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:34 am Reply with quote

I think the 'ambitious, unscrupulous bastards out for themselves' suggestion sounds about right. I might add 'immature and not overburdened with intelligence', but I am biased having occasionally met political staffers.

CB27
1380396.  Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:14 am Reply with quote

Caught PMQ for the first time in ages, what an example of politics at it's worst (if you exclude any time Trump ever opened his mouth or tweeted anything).

Jenny
1380399.  Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:04 am Reply with quote

I just watched it too, on YouTube. A wonderful example of how not to answer a question, and multiple examples of arse-licking.

suze
1380432.  Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:14 pm Reply with quote

If I'm not busy I try to listen to PMQs on my phone, but today I was busy so I've just watched it on iPlayer instead.

As is suggested above, it was even worse than usual. Mr Johnson didn't really answer any of the substantive questions put to him, while a load of backbenchers with nothing better to do asked whether the PM would agree that everyone ought to vote Conservative in next week's elections. Unsurprisingly, that was a "yes".

Among the few highlights was the BBC mis-captioning Joy Morrissey (Con, Beaconsfield) as Diane Abbott. Given that Mrs Morrissey is a Conservative, American, and white, that cannot have been an easy mistake to make!

Mr Johnson asked Mr Speaker if he would rule Ian Blackford (SNP, Ross Skye and Lochaber) out of order for using the word "liar" in his question. Mr Speaker ruled the question in order, but "not savoury, and not what we would expect"; I have to say that if I were the Speaker I might have taken the PM's side there. It is a longstanding convention that you can't accuse another member of lying in the House, and Mr Blackford ought to have known that there are conventional other words to use if you want to do it.

All of tomorrow's newspapers bar two lead with the suggestion that the PM has acted improperly as regards his Downing Street apartment, and believe that he did make those remarks which I mentioned yesterday.

The Daily Mail and the Murdoch press have clearly turned against Mr Johnson, while Metro goes so far as to say that he should resign. The Daily Telegraph prefers to lead with a call for all COVID restrictions to be scrapped yesterday, while - as usual - the Daily Express prefers to fellate both Mr Johnson and the royal family on its front page.

PDR
1380433.  Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:51 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
It is a longstanding convention that you can't accuse another member of lying in the House, and Mr Blackford ought to have known that there are conventional other words to use if you want to do it.

It is also a long-standing convention that you don't lire to the House or lie in Ministerial office, and that if you are caught doing either before apologising then you resign. Abandoning this convention must inherently mean abandoning the other, and since Boris has clearly continued his well established preference for being a dishonourable, disreputably lying bullying piece of sub-human excrement I feel the Speaker had little choice.

It's high time the so-called man and his junta were sentenced to being recycled as cattle feed without benefit of clergy. If the Conservative and Unionist Party persist in supporting him then similar sentence should be passed on all its MPs, Councillors, members and supporters to make it clear that everyone will be held accountable for their actions.

PDR

suze
1380499.  Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:34 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
It is also a long-standing convention that you don't lire to the House or lie in Ministerial office, and that if you are caught doing either before apologising then you resign. Abandoning this convention must inherently mean abandoning the other.

That is a fair point as it goes, but I just can't see what is to be done about it.

A group of six parties has asked Mr Speaker for a debate on the subject of the PM's "repeated inaccuracies", and notes that Mr Johnson has given at least five demonstrably untrue answers at PMQs since he became PM, none of which he has retracted.

But it's difficult to see how Mr Speaker can grant that debate, and in any case the government has a majority so it would win the vote even if the debate were ever held.

Labour has chosen not to support that request for a debate; I don't know why not. But if Sir Keir Starmer called Mr Johnson a liar across the despatch box he would be ejected from the chamber - cue 20 page articles in most of the newspapers about what a disgrace Labour is.

The Tory media aren't going to call Mr Johnson out for lying, and if The Guardian does it the government will just say "Typical pinko slur, take no notice". The BBC can't do it because the government will simply close it down if it does, so what hope do we have?

jaygeemack
1380526.  Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:21 pm Reply with quote

I recall a story about Dennis Skinner, the Beast of Bolsover, claiming in parliament that half of the Tory cabinet were crooks. The speaker asked him to retract his statement, to which he replied, “OK, half of them aren’t crooks.”

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next