View previous topic | View next topic

21st Century Science

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

smiley_face
103220.  Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:45 pm Reply with quote

We spent some time in our Friday afternoon A level physics lesson going through the utterly ridiculous 21st Century Science GCSE syllabus. It's supposed to be aimed at a wider range of pupils, but it instead excludes anyone above the intelligence of a monkey. Bearing in mind it's aimed it 16 year olds, here is a model question:

Claudia realised that Ultra Violet rays were hitting her skin because:

a) She began to get sunburn
b) Her skin felt cold
c) Her skin went violet

Another issue is that the A level courses for the sciences are remaining the same. I do not understand how a person studying at the new GCSE level can improve to AS level standard over a summer holiday, and then onto degree level.

Oh well, it's not all bad. At least I'll never be worrying about competition from younger research scientists in 20 years. They'll all still be trying to work out how to operate a microwave oven.

This is yet another faux pas by the Government, who are failing to notice that we are bringing up a generation of uneducated baboons.

djgordy
103233.  Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:58 am Reply with quote

smiley_face wrote:

Claudia realised that Ultra Violet rays were hitting her skin because:

a) She began to get sunburn
b) Her skin felt cold
c) Her skin went violet

Oooh, I know this. No, don't help me. Is it c)?

suze
103246.  Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:30 am Reply with quote

smiley_face wrote:
Oh well, it's not all bad. At least I'll never be worrying about competition from younger research scientists in 20 years. They'll all still be trying to work out how to operate a microwave oven.

Oh. Ahh. Hmmm.

Luna
103264.  Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:27 am Reply with quote

i'm doing triple award science(indivual science gcse's, physics, chemistry and biology) i only wish the questions were this easy in physics paper, what tier are these for, single double or triple because if those questions are on my gcse, i'm gettin me an A

cabs
103265.  Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:30 am Reply with quote

Luna wrote:
i'm doing triple award science(indivual science gcse's, physics, chemistry and biology) i only wish the questions were this easy in physics paper, what tier are these for, single double or triple because if those questions are on my gcse, i'm gettin me an A

As will any Tom, Dick or Harriet able to hold a pen. I think that's very much the problem.

Luna
103267.  Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:33 am Reply with quote

Its defeating the whole idea of me doing triple award science. Its is supposed to be really hard in comparison with double award and single and if i got an A based on those questions, i would feel the work i have done so far would be undermined, anyone else agree?

swot
103344.  Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:41 am Reply with quote

I did double award science; it was shamefully easy. What made it especially easy was that we did a modular course. As well as proper written exams at the end of the year, we did little modular tests. They were multiple choice, focused on one topic only, and were so easy that a child could have passed them. Honestly. The idea was that you took the multi-choice tests throughout the year and it encouraged you to revise thoughout they year. Unfortunately they were so easy that no-one bothered to revise.

One question that will always stick in my mind is the first question on the plastics multi-choice. Bear in mind, this was the higher level paper (and to be fair, the questions did get a little harder.

There was a picture of a lovely meal : sausage, chips and beans in a polystyrene tray. Each of the four items had an arrow pointing to it with the letters A,B,C or D attached to it. The question was as follows:

Which one is made out of plastic?

I got two As for my efforts.

samivel
103614.  Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:24 am Reply with quote

I suppose it depends where you bought the meal.

swot
103624.  Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:47 am Reply with quote

Hehe true.

Jumper
104264.  Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:54 pm Reply with quote

What happened to the questions like...

Two electric trains - one travelling at an average of 55 mph that left Brighton at 08.15 going to London, and the other - the 08.25 from Victoria (which left 7 minutes late due to leaves on the line at Clapham Junction) is travelling south to Brighton at 43 mph. The distance from Victoria to Brighton is 51 miles. A South Easterly wind is blowing at 12 knots across the whole of the South of England. When the two trains meet which way is the smoke blowing?

Not a Number
104266.  Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:01 pm Reply with quote

Jumper wrote:
What happened to the questions like...

Two electric trains - one travelling at an average of 55 mph that left Brighton at 08.15 going to London, and the other - the 08.25 from Victoria (which left 7 minutes late due to leaves on the line at Clapham Junction) is travelling south to Brighton at 43 mph. The distance from Victoria to Brighton is 51 miles. A South Easterly wind is blowing at 12 knots across the whole of the South of England. When the two trains meet which way is the smoke blowing?

This is easy! The opposite of the direction each train is moving in, silly.

Izzardesque
104271.  Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:00 am Reply with quote

I'm guessing its that electric trains don't have smoke.

Unless something has gone SERIOUSLY wrong...

Not a Number
104272.  Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:03 am Reply with quote

Izzardesque wrote:
I'm guessing its that electric trains don't have smoke.

Unless something has gone SERIOUSLY wrong...

Of course they do. They make smoke so that passengers know which direction they're heading in. Goodness, can't you people keep up?

smiley_face
104276.  Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:13 am Reply with quote

I'm sure *some* trains still smoke - can't be doing much for their lungs though...

Gray
104278.  Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:19 am Reply with quote

I was amazed to discover, when I first visited, that the trams (called cable cars) in San Francisco don't use their own power to move about on the tramlines.

Instead, huge speeding cables constantly snake through the city, just underneath the road, and when a tram wants to move, its operator pulls a lever which makes a set of couplings reach down through the gap in the road and grab a cable.

Amazing thing to build under a city, and actually very efficient to run. More here.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next