View previous topic | View next topic

Bullets In Space

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

rachthepirate
91725.  Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:47 pm Reply with quote

If you shot a bullet out of any gun, in space, anywere in space. Would it stay in the barrel?, would it travel out of the barrell then float around abit. Or would it act like a normal gun even though theres anti gravity?

personally, I thinks it would travel through the barrel then float around abit, remember what its perpose was and continue on its way to its target.

What do you pirates all thinks?

Celebaelin
91727.  Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:53 pm Reply with quote

I think the explosion that's supposed to propel the bullet wouldn't happen because there's no oxygen.

rachthepirate
91729.  Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:02 pm Reply with quote

What if they used the same make of anty gavity thingy they use in the space pens (pens that can write in space because they couldnt just use a pencil!) but in powered form, then would the bullet go or float around?

Davini994
91730.  Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:04 pm Reply with quote

It would behave pretty much as in the earths atmosphere. The bullet is pushed out by the expanding explosion in the chamber behind it.

It wouldn't slow down so much in the near vacuum of space, and would bend less with the reduced gravity. Unless it strayed near a massive object, or through or into something, it would pretty much just keep on going...

...assuming it would spark and burn without an atmosphere, esp. without oxygen. It would still spark, as this doesn't depend on oxygen. Burning... I think that oxygen is used in the process, but that this oxygen comes from the material not the atmos.

Aaargh!!! Pieces of eight.

djgordy
91731.  Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:05 pm Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
I think the explosion that's supposed to propel the bullet wouldn't happen because there's no oxygen.

That is incorrect. Modern bullets contain their own oxidiser so the explosion that propels the bullet will still happen even in the absence of free oxygen. When the bullet is fired it will just travel forever in a straight line until it hits something or encounters a gravity field strong enough to slow it down.

grizzly
91732.  Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:06 pm Reply with quote

Well yes, Celebaelin is correct. However, if you could get the gun to fire by modifying it then the result would be that it would fire the bullet out of the gun and that bullet would continue at a high velocity until it hit something (which can be a very long way in space). Meanwhile the gun and the person holding the gun would be propelled backward at a slower speed (every action has an equal and opposite reaction and all that).

grizzly
91733.  Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:08 pm Reply with quote

rachthepirate wrote:
What if they used the same make of anty gavity thingy they use in the space pens (pens that can write in space because they couldnt just use a pencil!) but in powered form, then would the bullet go or float around?

If I don't Klaxon you for that then someone will.

I'll let someone else do it. I'm tired.

djgordy
91734.  Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:09 pm Reply with quote

rachthepirate wrote:
pens that can write in space because they couldnt just use a pencil!

Actually there is a reason why you can't just use pencils in space. Namely, if you break the point and have to sharpen it, broken pieces of graphite and wood shavings would be floating around the space ship in zero-g and they could end up anywhere.

rachthepirate
91735.  Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:12 pm Reply with quote

yay! klaxon! my first!

well for the pencil shavings you could have many pencils or you could have a special room that you shave your pencils in.

well if a gun wouldnt work, how about some kind of cannon? oxygen doesnt power them does it? gun powered does. So if someone shot a cannon, while in the next space ship they were getting rather annoyed with there gun, then theyd be better off because unless it went near something big it would go were you wanted it to?

Davini994
91736.  Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:15 pm Reply with quote

7 answers in 20 minutes? What is this? Happy hour?

;)

rachthepirate
91737.  Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:18 pm Reply with quote

Davini994 wrote:
7 answers in 20 minutes? What is this? Happy hour?

;)

Well if it is... I'll be having two pints of grog please!

djgordy
91738.  Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote

rachthepirate wrote:
yay! klaxon! my first!

well for the pencil shavings you could have many pencils or you could have a special room that you shave your pencils in.

well if a gun wouldnt work, how about some kind of cannon? oxygen doesnt power them does it? gun powered does. So if someone shot a cannon, while in the next space ship they were getting rather annoyed with there gun, then theyd be better off because unless it went near something big it would go were you wanted it to?

Wrong on all counts. Having a special room in a sapce ship to sharpen pencils would be bonkers!!!!! It wouldn't actually be impossible but the risk of broke bits of wood and graphite escaping would be too great. Having lots of pencils wouldn't get rid of the risk of broken pencil points floating into the machinery or your eyes.

As I noted above, a bullet from a modern revolver would work in space because the oxygen required for the explsion is built into the bullet, which is a sealed unit. A cannon, on the other hand, wouldn't work because that relies on atmospheric oxygen to make the gunpowder explode. I'm assuming you mean something like an 18th century cannon and not a modern artillary piece.

rachthepirate
91742.  Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote

Yeh I did mean a 18th century one, wrong on all acounts, harsh words. I'd of preffered a klaxon.

Unless the special room, was sealed so it couldnt get out. Thers alot of mess up in space anywho I dont thinks it would matter. They could always make it into breakfast cereal. That solves the problem, of shavings and not having to spend money on a new room.

Bonkers i may be! Laddy! but i assure you I a damned rite hardy pirate! And I just wanted to give the QI'ians a little brain rousal.

:P

djgordy
91744.  Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:37 pm Reply with quote

rachthepirate wrote:

Unless the special room, was sealed so it couldnt get out.

Ah! But if the room were sealed, how would the astronaut get in and out for the puposes of pencil sharpening?

rachthepirate
91746.  Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:44 pm Reply with quote

well theyd have a bit in the wall, with gloves that stick out into it, they could feed the pencils through a shiny thing (its space it must be shiny!) then carefully place there hands in the gloves sharpen the pencil and stick it back in the shiny thing, and relise they havnt sharpened it theve lost a finger so then... theyd give up and buy a shiny (space!) robot!

could a robot fire a bullet in space?

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next