View previous topic | View next topic

Cummings and goings

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

suze
1365421.  Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:31 pm Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
Since there is a more anonymous back door

Two, according to David Davis speaking to the BBC a few days back. Mr Davis wasn't too precise since the exact plan of the building is classified, but he says that there's a back exit which you can't see from the street, from which you emerge somewhere near Horse Guards Parade. Ministers who have been relieved of their duties sometimes leave that way; the staff at No 10 can arrange for a cab to be waiting.

It is also possible to leave via the Cabinet Office and emerge on Whitehall, and that is the route usually used by non public figures who work at No 10.

dr.bob wrote:
a very public resignation

If, indeed, it was a resignation at all.

Robert Peston and the Daily Mail both claim to have heard from "sources" that he was fired, supposedly for being rude about Mr Johnson's fiancée. That has been officially denied ...

barbados
1365427.  Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:15 pm Reply with quote

I don't know if you recall suze, but we had a conversation on Cummings departing back in May.
With George Eustace's comments at the weekend - what do you think chances of time being given to dot "I"s and cross "T"s being announced in the next couple of weeks?

suze
1365446.  Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:43 pm Reply with quote

Time to Mr Cummings, well that appears already to be happening. Whether he is genuinely working from home until he officially leaves at Christmas or whether he is on "gardening leave" (ie being paid to do nothing) seems to depend who you ask, but he isn't unemployed yet.

Or did you mean extra time to sort out the increasingly tedious business of making (or not making) a deal with the EU? Mr Johnson has ruled that out so many times that he'd look a complete fool if it were to happen. All the same, I do not rule it out.

bobwilson
1365454.  Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:37 pm Reply with quote

Out of curiosity - are we allowed to call Dominic Cummings a complete and utter twat yet? I only ask because I want to know.

I was just wondering if DRIVING to get an EYE TEST might be the mark of a complete moron, or merely a cretin?

Number of Prime Ministers responsible for wanking Dominic Cummings (sorry - owing allegiance to our Great Lord Dominic Cummings) that have resigned since being discovered to being asinine cunts - zero.

dr.bob
1365465.  Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:08 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
I was just wondering if DRIVING to get an EYE TEST might be the mark of a complete moron, or merely a cretin?

You forgot option c). A barefaced liar who knows that the lie he is telling is so piss-poor everyone can see through it but doesn't really give a fuck either way.

PDR
1367377.  Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:35 pm Reply with quote

Interesting to see that now he's no longer a member of Boris's Untouchables Dominic Cummings is now being formally investigated for the alleged crimes and blatant lying (aka "perverting the course of justice") associated with his covid-spreading travels (source).

I feel this would be a good case for the range of punishments that fit the crimes to be implemented - in this case by soaking his pants in petrol and igniting them.

Ms Patel had better hope she never falls out with King Boris...

PDR

suze
1367382.  Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:53 pm Reply with quote

Back in the early days of this interminable calendar year, I wrote (post 1340489) that

suze wrote:
I reckon there's a probability of about one third that Mr Johnson will be forced to resign as PM between now and the next election, not because of any political crisis but because of a scandal.

This could actually be that scandal. It probably won't be, but it could be.

If it is decided that there is in fact no case for Mr Cummings to answer then there isn't much to see - and if I had to stake 5p on it, I would wager that the CPS will (be told to) decide that there is indeed no case to answer.

But if Mr Cummings actually is charged with doing an act which has a tendency to pervert, or which is intended to pervert, the course of public justice, as contrary to the Common Law there would be a strong case to argue that the same charge should necessarily also be brought against Mr Johnson.

It would not take a genius of a lawyer to suggest that, in those circumstances, prima facie the Prime Minister made a criminal offence go away earlier in the year. That isn't the sort of thing that the Prime Minister is supposed to do, and while it is entirely possible that he would be able to defend the allegation, it is the convention that a Minister resigns before becoming involved in legal action which might bring his fitness for office into question.

Now, the current Prime Minister has already made it plain that he can't be doing with longstanding conventions about when a minister ought to resign. But if the Prime Minister himself were charged with a serious criminal offence, I think it extremely likely that the Men In Suits from the Conservative Party hierarchy would tell him to resign in words of one syllable.

Right now, I wouldn't like to say whether the next by election which will come upon us will be in Uxbridge and South Ruislip or in Rayleigh and Wickford.

tetsabb
1367388.  Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:51 pm Reply with quote

It has been mentioned Elsewhere that the member for R&W has not been heard from much lately. He uses to be so keen on being seen and heard from in the meeja

bobwilson
1367644.  Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:24 pm Reply with quote

Just because we should never forget

Dominic Cummings - still not hung, drawn OR quartered

tetsabb
1367667.  Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:14 am Reply with quote

The Cummings version of Monopoly.
Ho where you want, break all the rules, and never, ever, go to jail.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2