View previous topic | View next topic

Cummings and goings

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

PDR
1364817.  Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:00 pm Reply with quote

So it looks like Sir Humphrey was right - when someone's departure is denied that's a confirmation that it's true. Cummings has an eye test booked for the end of the year...

PDR

tetsabb
1364848.  Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:39 am Reply with quote

But who will pull Johnson's strings then?

CB27
1364867.  Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:24 am Reply with quote

Rats jumping ship...

PDR
1364904.  Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:08 am Reply with quote

Aye - but which is the ship and which is the rat. That's the question...

PDR

CB27
1364954.  Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:48 am Reply with quote

Reminded me of this headline from a few years back - had to really search for it:

Don't worry – a ghost ship crewed by cannibal rats probably isn't about to hit the British Isles

I remember at the time it was a good description of the Government at the time, and that feeling only intensified with subsequent cabinets.

suze
1364958.  Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:34 pm Reply with quote

It is reported in the last few minutes that Mr Cummings has in fact left his job today. He was seen earlier in the afternoon leaving No 10 carrying a cardboard box - presumably his personal possessions - and "a source" has told Sky News that he has left the building for the last time.

PDR
1364961.  Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:49 pm Reply with quote

Your favourite BBC political editor is saying much the same thing on the non-murdoch channels.

PDR

suze
1365001.  Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:40 pm Reply with quote

It now looks as if that may have been slightly overstated.

The report this evening is that Mr Cummings will no longer go to Downing Street, but will continue to work from home for a few weeks before actually leaving his postion at Christmas. This implies that he is able to do his job from home, in which case why wasn't he already doing it? Or is he yet again a special case, and doesn't have abide by the same rules as the rest of us?

As for why he is leaving, who knows. Some commentators think that the 1922 Committee was getting on Mr Johnson's case about him, some think that it's Mr Johnson's fiancée who can't be doing with him, some think that Mr Johnson himself has lost trust in him.

I have not yet seen the size of the severance payment that he will get at your and my expense. Since - for reasons which I have never entirely understood - it will be our money, not the Conservative Party's money, that information ought not to be kept secret.

tetsabb
1365007.  Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:35 pm Reply with quote

Maybe he will get a job running Trump's 2024 campaign.

Alexander Howard
1365017.  Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:58 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
Maybe he will get a job running Trump's 2024 campaign.

Aalreet gadgie - Myek America mickle agyen!

dr.bob
1365344.  Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:22 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
He was seen earlier in the afternoon leaving No 10 carrying a cardboard box - presumably his personal possessions - and "a source" has told Sky News that he has left the building for the last time.

One interesting point about this action: I heard a report on the news of a government member complaining that Mr Cummings always made a point of walking into the front door of No. 10 when most advisors tend to come in through the back door so as to avoid the media and be more anonymous.

Since there is a more anonymous back door, the fact that Mr Cummings left holding his cardboard box through the front door in full view of the media who are always gathered outside in Downing Street means that he chose to make this a very public resignation. His reasons for doing it this way are left for the reader to decide.

PDR
1365374.  Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:54 am Reply with quote

I think I know this one. Is it:

"Because he is a narcissistic prat with baseless delusions of significance"?

PDR

tetsabb
1365389.  Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:33 am Reply with quote

Someone speculated on FB that the box contained either a lot of spectacles, or the souls of Tory MPs.
To which the obvious answer was that it was too big for the souls option.

Jenny
1365400.  Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:21 am Reply with quote

We have seen a couple of episodes of the new series of Spitting Image (in which the Commander is not credited so perhaps not involved) and I absolutely love the images of both Cummings and Johnson on that.

tetsabb
1365408.  Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:00 am Reply with quote

We saw the one broadcast on IITV. Priti Patel as a kind of witchy/vampiry queen of the night seemed about right.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next