View previous topic | View next topic

bicycles don't stay upright - pedantry

Page 1 of 1

Mr Red
1359890.  Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:00 am Reply with quote

Using the time honoured QI obfuscation tactic re a QI Fake Factoid - bikes don't stay upright.

The rider does it.

And they do know how (s)he does it. Counter-steering.
Wot? Turn left to go right? Yup, just a bit, just momentarily. Look up videos on how to race a motorcycle...................

Ever wondered why it was hard to learn how to ride a bike? And now is second nature?
Or why the original boneshakers/penny-farthing where superseded by the "safety bicycle"? Answer -the rake of the front forks, the wheel even further forward of the line of the headstock. Often referred to "trail".

Spoils the joke about "they don't know why bikes stay upright" dunnit?
That's what facts are for.

Dix
1359894.  Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:33 am Reply with quote

or, for a more balanced view that says they actually do stabilize without a driver. For several reasons.

Last edited by Dix on Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total

crissdee
1359903.  Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:51 am Reply with quote

Dix wrote:
or, for a more balanced view that says they actually do stabilize without a driver. For several reasons.

You missed an "h" out of that link, FTFY.

Look at me! The original Luddite actually correcting someone's computer use!!!! I might give the impression that I knew WTH I was talking about......

Dix
1359920.  Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:50 am Reply with quote

Whoops! You are right, of course. Thank you. Corrected.

Challenger007
1362337.  Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:22 am Reply with quote

Mr Red wrote:
Using the time honoured QI obfuscation tactic re a QI Fake Factoid - bikes don't stay upright.

The rider does it.

And they do know how (s)he does it. Counter-steering.
Wot? Turn left to go right? Yup, just a bit, just momentarily. Look up videos on how to race a motorcycle...................

Ever wondered why it was hard to learn how to ride a bike? And now is second nature?
Or why the original boneshakers/penny-farthing where superseded by the "safety bicycle"? Answer -the rake of the front forks, the wheel even further forward of the line of the headstock. Often referred to "trail".

Spoils the joke about "they don't know why bikes stay upright" dunnit?
That's what facts are for.

Well, the essence of riding a two-wheeled vehicle is maintaining balance. I quickly learned to ride a bike, because thanks to karate as a child, I had no coordination problems. And so everything is individual, there are many fears in our head. If you are subconsciously afraid to ride a bike, then you will study for a long time.

Page 1 of 1