View previous topic | View next topic

Posting QI clips - Will they do it or let us?

Page 1 of 1

Should they post the episodes, let us post without ads/ads for ourselves, let us post but claim, or not post or let us post?
A - THEM (because I'm going to be too lazy to type out each option)
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
B - US, no/our ads
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
C - US, their ads
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
D - NO. (for lonely old sods who don't want do see them again)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

ChorusOfOddities
1359715.  Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:32 am Reply with quote

Although we are blessed with the clips on the QI YouTube for free and without ads, and the full episodes are (temporarily) available on iPlayer, would it not be great to have the full things online? With iPlayer, they have to pay for site upkeep and servers when people watch the program, but with YouTube all of that comes free, and they could even monetise the videos like other BBC channels do (Mock the Week is my best example). Hopefully a BBC/QI employee sees this and takes it into consideration, but for now I might try uploading them myself and see what happens... They can content ID if they want to get money from it, but if they full strike it I will post it somewhere else where only I can see it. But that would be a shame to push away old, new, and potential QI viewers.

(Ignore my extremely bad, pressuring poll technique)

PDR
1359716.  Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:44 am Reply with quote

You do not own the Intellectual Property Rights, so for you to decide to post it without permission would be theft.

The producers and the BBC have not purchased unlimited rights to many of the images and clips used on the show - they only have rights to use them in the broadcasts in the UK. People posting these clips and images for viewing outside the scope of these rights places the producers in a difficult legal position leaving them no option but to take down ad pursue such crooks.

Bottom line? If you are in the UK and pay for a UK TV license then you have a right to see the shows. If you aren't and don't then you have no inherent rights to see for nothing what others have paid for the making of.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's a harsh world.

PDR

Alfred E Neuman
1359726.  Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:17 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's a harsh world.

The harsh reality is that there are many episodes up on YouTube already. While I donít disagree with you that I have no right to expect to be able to watch them, if theyíre there, Iím not going to research to the nth degree which YouTube clips are breaking copyright and which arenít, and nor, I strongly suspect, is any other user / viewer.

ChorusOfOddities
1359770.  Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:30 am Reply with quote

I get that, but the fact that they even post clips and compilation suggests they don't use things they don't have the rights too, so I see no reason they don't post them and make some money off it with ads, or even post without ads and attract more viewers to the show. I'll try posting them on YouTube and see how long they last, and if they don't last I'll just store them elsewhere online so I can still rewatch them. Another thing I noticed is they haven't had any issues with the people who create their own compilations, but I don't know if they've taken down any full episode clips or not. I'll make a new account for Google for it and post it here if you 2ant to see them once I've uploaded, but remember that they will likely see it here so are more likely to take it down. If it does get taken down, I'll reupload but only compilations I make in my actual account, Mystery of Idiosyncrasies , and hopefully they'll stay up

Jenny
1359784.  Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:37 am Reply with quote

Currently here in the USA if you subscribe to Britbox, at the hardly extortionate price of $6.99 a month (and you get a month's free trial) you can watch most of the episodes in full and without ads.

Why break the law when it's so cheap to keep within it?

crissdee
1359798.  Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:50 pm Reply with quote

£5.99 a month over here apparently, still hardly going to break the bank of anyone in regular employment.

Page 1 of 1