View previous topic | View next topic

ECHR - Make It So!

Page 1 of 1

PDR
1358865.  Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:57 am Reply with quote

This is quite interesting:

https://youtu.be/ptfmAY6M6aA

PDR

[I've started a separate thread for it because the ECHR is nothing to do with the EU (even though the 50.2% of the country with sub-unity IQs seem to think it is).]

CB27
1358915.  Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:16 pm Reply with quote

To be fair, sheeple tend to follow what their leaders tell them, and in the last decade or so it seems to be the norm to make outrageously false claims and ignore the media for correcting them.

Alexander Howard
1358921.  Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:37 pm Reply with quote

No, no - we scream at the media who disagree with us and write caustic, sweary tweets that we think na´vely someone is bothered with.

bobwilson
1359186.  Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:39 pm Reply with quote

Hang on - much as I'm a supporter of the ECHR - I'm not so sure it "gave us"

the right to a fair trial
the right to privacy
freedom from torture and degrading treatment

CB27
1359235.  Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:22 am Reply with quote

I think the idea is it did when it came to finding ourselves in other spots in the EU, and helped refine our own.

When you look at judgments against each country between 1959-2019 (and considering some countries have not been signatories for much of that time), the UK is fairly low on the list because of the very fact much of it was drafted from UK laws to begin with.

The UK had 320 judgments against in their 60 years, compared to 749 for France, 917 for Greece and 1,843 for Italy, etc. When you look at countries who signed up later, the numbers are even more shocking, like Poland (989), Ukraine (1,383), Russia (2,551) and Turkey (3,224).

Alexander Howard
1359251.  Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:53 pm Reply with quote

Many of the cases against the UK came out of the emergency in Ulster, as I understand it, but I've not seen statistics.

One thing that did come into British jurisprudence out of the European Convention on Human Rights was the right to privacy. (It's ironic that a convention promoting liberty is the origin of the super-injunction.)

The Convention has been invaluable in constraining evil forces in Europe, after we came out of the war sickened by a realisation of the depth of utter depravity in the human soul that had to be constrained collectively.

If you take the actual rights set out in the Convention, you'll barely find anyone to disagree with any (well, maybe the one against the death penalty, but it was only added much later). The issue has always been interpretation, and reading things into it that are not there.

CB27
1359370.  Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:33 am Reply with quote

the other thing that always annoyed me about the Brexit campaign is that they kept going on about how things are decided by foreign judges, when that wasn't the case.

Page 1 of 1