View previous topic | View next topic

SPAM

Page 1 of 1

RandomNumber
1357383.  Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:05 am Reply with quote

Spamming is a pain in this online world but do you know where the name came from? In the the 1980 when the internet was mostly messaging boards if you wanted to make another board all you had to do was over whelm the message board with your messages until there were too many to compete with leading the board unless. But what cover the board with? Well many people found Monty Python's Flying Circus funny so many people would quote the show, manly the Spam Sketch where a restaurant only sells dishes with Spam. By the end of the bit the whole restaurant of Vikings is singing "SPAM". So to reference the clip and ruin the board in one move the board would be filled with the word Spam and quotes from the song "Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam" over and over again. This act became know as spamming and became a short hand unwanted mass attention online.

https://www.internetsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/History20of20Spam.pdf

Dix
1357492.  Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:16 pm Reply with quote

Oh, for deity's sake, if you have to quote your source, could you at least do so accurately?

1988: “Spamming” starts as prank by participants in multi-user dungeon games by MUDers (Multi User Dungeon) to fill rivals accounts with unwanted electronic junk mail.

1993: First use of the term spam was for a post from USENET by Richard Depew to news.admin.policy, which was the result of a bug in a software program that caused 200 messages to go out to the news group. The term “spam” itself was thought to have come from the spam skit by Monty Python's Flying Circus. In the sketch, a restaurant serves all its food with lots of spam, and the waitress repeats the word several times in describing how much spam is in the items. When she does this, a group of Vikings in the corner start a song:"Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, lovely spam! Wonderful spam!" Until told to shut up.

Thus the meaning of the term: something that keeps repeating and repeating to great annoyance.

There is nothing here about starting new boards. There is a multi-user game where users get junk mail and a software error.

crissdee
1357517.  Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:33 am Reply with quote

Tbh, I could barely make sense of the OP anyway. My inner gramaar nazi was girding his loins for an onslaught, but I managed to calm him down before posting something I might have regretted later.

Dix
1357523.  Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:12 am Reply with quote

It could, of course be a very clever self-referential post.........

Celebaelin
1357528.  Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:55 am Reply with quote

That was my first thought though I'd have said sneaky rather than 'very clever'; we might be being unfair however.

Page 1 of 1