View previous topic | View next topic

NSTAAF Ep. 335: Shambolic promotions

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
1356617.  Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:13 pm Reply with quote

Not a quibble but something extra to add, regarding the section on Hoover and their promotion that ruined them. I mentioned elsehwere on the form another terrible promotion, which was a Hello Kitty themed McDonald's Happy Meal in Singapore in the year 2000 that went horribly wrong.

Something else I recently learned about was Pepsi Number Fever, a promotion in the Philippines in 1992 that resulted in five deaths.

CB27
1356685.  Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:01 pm Reply with quote

At least the company survived.

Anyone in the US in 1999 might remember the "Just For Feet" advertising fiasco. Within months the company filed for bankruptcy, amid accusations of accountancy fraud, but one wonders if the this would have come to light so early, if at all, had they not botched up their super bowl campaign, not once, but twice.

The first botch was the advert itself, featuring a Kenyan runner in bare feet being chased by a group of white militia men who capture him, sedate him with drugs, then force the shoes on him. The advert got so much backlash that they tried to sue the advertising company.

The second botch was running a competition to win a humvee, where people were encouraged to guess the number of times "Just For Feet" was mentioned in the third quarter. Considering the ad ran in the fourth quarter the answer was zero, but guess what? you couldn't guess zero on the website, so the company was investigated to see if this was a scam, and the rest was history...

Ian Dunn
1356817.  Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:58 am Reply with quote

Regarding the fact about a man named Phil Calcott buying loads of bananas as a Tesco promotion, the Elves asked if Phil was out there to contact him.

Given my job doing all the QI guides for the British Comedy Guide, today I got an email from Phil Calcott, asking me if I could put them in touch with the Elves, because the Elves wanted to track him down. I've emailed the Elves, and as far as I know we are both waiting for a reply.

Page 1 of 1