View previous topic | View next topic

Sports

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

RandomNumber
1355960.  Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:41 pm Reply with quote

I'm sure there are many more interesting general sport stories but I thought I'd start with a small one feel free to add any stories or facts you can thing of.

In the 1997 at the Queen’s Club Championship final between Goran Ivanisevic and Mark Philippoussis who scored the most memorable point of the game? Amy Kavanagh.

In the 1997 game Goran Ivanisevic was not doing to well. So in the second set, score 3-3 with Philippoussis 40-0 up, he decided to take a break and handed his racket to Amy Kavanagh the 14 yr old ball girl and convinced her to have a go against the them Aussie. She reluctantly took him up on his offer and managed to have a few (17) volleys where Philippoussis had some fun bouncing the ball off his head before he loss the point hitting the ball into the net and Amy handed the racket back to Ivanisevic, who went on to loss the game although his did joke after that “It's the nearest I came to breaking him”.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/philippoussis-wins-but-ballgirl-steals-the-show-1.82508

CB27
1355997.  Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:11 am Reply with quote

Q What is the state sport for Maryland?

Klaxons for Baseball, Basketball, football (american or proper...), hockey, or various others.

If you said Lacrosse, that's true as the state team sport.

The answer is Jousting.

In 1962 Maryland signed into law that Jousting be recognised as the official sport of the state:

https://msa.maryland.gov/megafile/msa/speccol/sc2900/sc2908/000001/000651/html/am651--474.html

CB27
1356018.  Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:59 pm Reply with quote

And veering to National Sport, which country has Kabaddi as it's national sport?

Klaxon for India, Pakistan and a few other countries that play one or other forms of the game.

The answer is that, while few countries actually write into law their national sport, Bangladesh decided to declare Kabaddi as their national sport in 1972.

Well, this is according to the Banglapedia, which seems to be the source quoted by many listings:

http://en.banglapedia.org/index.php?title=Kabadi

I have to admit, I've had a look around and can't find anything in their Government website to confirm this, but it could be I'm looking in the wrong places.

suze
1356024.  Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:28 pm Reply with quote

Why don't you ask barbados?

He apparently knows the law of Bangladesh better than the country's Supreme Court does.

tetsabb
1356054.  Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:39 am Reply with quote

In heartening news, Gaelic sports club helps out Ghanaian fishermen
There are some good folk around.

CB27
1356939.  Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:46 pm Reply with quote

Quite often when you watch major races and events, especially for the Olympics, the focus is on those who came in the top places, or were expected to do well, but in the 1992 Barcelona Olympics men's marathon, the man who came last deserves a spacial mention.

His name is Pyambuugiin Tuul and he represented Mongolia, their first representation in Olympic Marathon.

Between the winner and the man who came 86th, there were 51 minutes. Tuul came in 87th, 56 minutes behind the man who came 86th. In fact, he had to finish on a practice track as the closing ceremony had already begun. His time was the slowest recorded time in Olympic men's marathon since 1908.

After he finished he was approached by several journalists and one of the first questions was about why he ran so slowly. His answer was "No, I didn’t run slowly. After all, you could call my run a Mongolian Olympic marathon record."

Another journalist then asked if this was the best day of his life, and he gave another wonderful answer:

"Up until six months ago I had no sight at all. I was a totally blind person. When I trained it was only with the aid of friends who ran with me. But a group of doctors came to my country last year to do humanitarian medical work. One doctor took a look at my eyes and asked me questions. He said, ‘But I can fix your sight with a simple operation’. So he carried out the operation and after 20 years I could see again. So today wasn’t the greatest day of my life. The best day was when I got my sight back and I saw my wife and two daughters for the first time. And they are beautiful."

As a thank you to the club who financed his operation and had helped him, he vowed to run the marathon, and kept his promise.

CB27
1357612.  Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:18 pm Reply with quote

Q Why would sport clothes be out of place in the Ancient Greek Olympics print races?

Klaxon if you say because they ran in the nude.

When the ancient Olympics began, the runners wore loincloths to protect themselves.

It was only at the 15th Olympics, in 720BC that a sprinter was recorded as having "allowed his girdle to slip" and thus run naked, and become the "first of all Greeks to be crowned victor naked".

While some records point to this being Orsippus the Magarian, other records suggest it was Acanthus the Lacedaemonian.

Other sources suggest it wasn't until over a century later that Greeks started competing in the nude, and it took on thereafter.

Alexander Howard
1357626.  Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:23 pm Reply with quote

That's a good one, and worth a few klaxons.

One ancient Athenian sports ground was the Lyceum, originally a ground sacred to Apollo Lyceus, which became a place for exercises. Aristotle led his disciples around the ground teaching them - hence the connection with learning (and the French word lycée).

Plato used another sports ground, the gymnasium named after Akademos - hence 'academy'.

In Germany, a high school is a Gymnasium.

Even the word 'school' means 'leisure'. A 'symposium' on the other hand was originally a booze-up.

CB27
1357641.  Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:48 am Reply with quote

Mention of German Gymnasium reminds me, if you're in London, the German Gymnasium is a somewhat pricey cafe\restaurant in Kings Cross which was previously the first purpose built gymnasium in England, built in 1864.

Qi had previously mentioned Dr Brookes and the Wenlock Olympics from 1850, which were mostly reserved for ex public school boys, but in 1865 Dr Brookes and others founded the National Olympian Association, which was open to all comers, and the first Olympic Games open to all was held in London in 1866, with indoor events staged in the German Gymnasium.

As the games began, there was an eventful cricket game between the England XI v Surrey at the Oval, and a certain 18 year old William Gilbert Grace hit an incredible 224 not out, and on the last day of the match asked to be excused from fielding so he could travel to Crystal Palace to take part in the Athletics events.

Grace won the 440 yards hurdles, winning comfortably by over 20 yards, he then placed 4th in both the 100 yards and 176 yards races, and to top off the day started well in the half mile race, leading by some 100 yards before dropping out before the end, probably a bit tired from all the other running and cricket...

CB27
1357750.  Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:54 pm Reply with quote

In an effort to make Australian Rules Football popular worldwide, Australia decided to create and host the Australian Football International Cup in 2002, which is then held every three years (though the 2020 competition is more likely to be held in 2021 now).

Because the game isn't very popular elsewhere yet, the competition is only open to amateurs so as to ensure Australia don't dominate the competition, which shows because so far in the men's competition the winners have been Ireland, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Ireland, PNG and PNG. In the last tournament there were 18 teams competing, representing countries from Europe, North America, Africa, Asia and Oceania.

So bearing that in mind, what's unusual about the Australian men's team?

Klaxons for them being women, boys, indigenous Australians or other possible obvious answers.

The answer is that that Australia considers that even amateur level teams from Australia would be too experienced for other teams and therefore have an edge, which means that Australia have never entered any of the competitions to date.

Even in the women's game, the Australian team is limited to indigenous and multicultural Australians (not sure how that's a hindrance, that might be an Australian view).

CB27
1357804.  Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:50 pm Reply with quote

The Henley-on-Todd Regatta is an annual boat race in Australia run since the 1960s which attracts both national and international participants, but it was cancelled in 1993 due to a unique reason no other boat race in the world has ever been cancelled, despite a couple of crews launching their boats on the water to try and run the race, what was it?

Klaxons for the boats sinking, or invading Kangaroos, Emus, spiders or other animals.

The answer was that in 1993 the weather was wet and there was water in the river.

The Henley-on-Todd Regatta is run on a dry river bed, with crews carrying bottomless boats and racing them to the finish line.

CB27
1357907.  Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:13 pm Reply with quote

I'm getting into this finding weird sport stories, maybe I should write a book?

Anyway, the latest is about Carlos Kaiser, who played for some of the biggest Football teams in South America in a 12 year career from 1979 to 1990, and played with many of the top Brazilian players of the time. Some of the clubs he played for were Botafogo, Flamengo, Fluminense, Vasco de Gama, and others. There were reports of him joining various European teams, and that Mexico even offered him citizenship so he could play for their national team.

But what made Carlos Kaiser stand out from all the other players around him?

Klaxons for being a woman, disabled, too old, too young, non human, or anything else you might imagine.

Here are his career stats in full:

Years Team Apps (Gls)
1979 Puebla 0 (0)
1981 Botafogo 0 (0)
1983 Flamengo 0 (0)
1986–1987 Gazélec Ajaccio 0 (0)
1988 Bangu 0 (0)
1988 Fluminense 0 (0)
1989 Vasco da Gama 0 (0)
1989 El Paso Sixshooters 0 (0)
1990 América (RJ) 0 (0)

You might notice that for each club his appearances are 0. He managed to go through his whole career without playing a single game, managing to avoid revealing the fact he couldn't really play the game.

He would constantly feign injuries to avoid playing games, and often insist on spending some time in practice before being played to get "match fit", before getting injured.

At one club the manager was getting tired of his injuries, so at a game when his side were losing 2-0 he implored the coach to bring him on, but as he was sent to warm up he went over to some supporters who were shouting at the players for losing, started a fight with them and received a red card before getting on the pitch. His display of loyalty to the club and players earned his an extension of 6 months.

He would carry around toy mobile phones at a time when mobile phones were really expensive, and pretend to get calls from other clubs, especially in Europe, loudly rejecting their offers out of his loyalty to the club he was with at the time.

Carlos retired a long career without paying a single game, and a documentary was made about his " career" a couple of years back, but unfortunately I can't play it on UK Amazon. If someone has Amazon in another country, have a look for "Kaiser: The Greatest Footballer Never to Play Football", might make a good watch.

suze
1357924.  Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:09 pm Reply with quote

That documentary sounds like something that I need to see!

One of his ruses was apprently to speak "English" on his toy mobile phone, and claim that he was speaking to Manchester United about a move there. Rather few working class Brazilians of his time spoke very much English and so the footballers didn't notice that he was in fact speaking a nonsense language, but he was rumbled by a club doctor who had trained in Canada and hence actually did speak English!

The documentary appears to be mostly in Brazilian Portuguese, with an English voiceover.

CB27
1357949.  Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:25 am Reply with quote

I can definitely attest to the fact that majority of young people in Brazil in the 80s and 90s couldn't speak a word of English as there was a huge backlash to American influence, and some of the graffiti I saw at the time was very extreme against the US.

It was weird that you had he older generation who most spoke quite good English, this whole generation who couldn't speak a word, and then those born in the 90s onwards who have embraced English as a language again.

I've asked a couple of relatives of mine in Brazil to look up and see if they get access to the documentary, it looks like it could be really interesting - and it was made by an Irishman :)

CB27
1357977.  Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:20 pm Reply with quote

At the 1912 Stockholm Olympics, the men's marathon was run during a bit of a heatwave (for Sweden), with temperatures reaching 25C, causing more than half the competitors to collapse from overheating, so what was unusual about what Shizo Kanakuri from Japan did before completing the race?

Klaxons for jumping in a pool or the sea, or popping into the pub, or anything like that.

The answer is that Shizo was a great athlete and one of only two men to compete at the Olympics for Japan for the first time. However, having spent over two weeks travelling from Japan to the Olympics, and not coping well with the local food, he collapsed and passed out during the race. He was picked up by a farming family and cared for until he got better, but he felt so embarrassed he never reported back to the Olympic officials and simply snuck back to Japan.

He would go on to qualify for the 1916 Olympics, which were called off because of WWI, but completed in the 1920 and 1924 Olympics, and he established a marathon relay race in Japan, the prize was eventually changed to bear his name and he is now known as the "father of Japanese marathon".

In 1967 researchers realised that not only was there no time set against his name for the 1912 Olympics, but he was not registered as DNF because he never reported back, and was simply marked "missing". So a Swedish TV company contacted him and invited him to complete the race, which he did.

His official time for the 1912 Stockholm marathon?

54 years, 8 months, 6 days, 5 hours, 32 minutes and 20.3 seconds.

And as he then remarked, "It was a long trip. Along the way, I got married, had six children and 10 grandchildren."

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next