View previous topic | View next topic

sistene chapel ceiling series P pictires episode

Page 1 of 1

mandolingrass
1352129.  Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:45 am Reply with quote

Alan asked why can't you take photos of the sistene chapel ceiling, well the answer is because it is copyrighted, i asked this question myself of one of the guides at the vaticano, and its because the company that restored the ceiling did it for little or no money but with a stipulation that the ceiling be copyrighted. Bizzarre as it seems but thats what i was told. And he ended it with @but then there are lots of pictures of it online!'

Jenny
1352211.  Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:34 am Reply with quote

Well that's interesting! Thanks mandolingrass and welcome to the forums.

suze
1352214.  Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:19 am Reply with quote

It is rather interesting! What happened was that Nippon Television Network Corporation put up a lot of money (~$4 million) towards the cost of the restoration, on condition that it had exclusive photo and video rights.

It sent a Japanese crew over to Rome, and the photos and videos that they shot turned into an assortment of documentaries and coffee-table type books.

The Japaneses say that they never intended to stop tourists taking photographs, only professional photographers, and they only wanted exclusive rights for three years. But the Vatican chose to over-interpret those terms, partly for a quiet life and partly so that it could make money out of selling photographs that visitors weren't allowed to take for themselves.

You can read about it here.

Page 1 of 1