Quote:
whole book of Revelations

It's Revelation, singular.

CB27
1364094.  Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:54 am Reply with quote

I'm forever doing that, adding s to words that don't need it :p

PDR
1364097.  Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:01 am Reply with quote

Mes too. I also seem incapable of typing "ratio" without it becoming "ration" the first time around (which is very inconvenient for an engineer as we use the word "ratio" rather often).

PDR

CB27
1364212.  Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:45 am Reply with quote

And then there's certain things that just get stuck.

I have family that live in Minas Gerais, yet I have to concentrate to write it correctly because in my head it's always Minas Generalis and that's how I say it and no one corrects me any more.

crissdee
1364227.  Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:15 pm Reply with quote

For a very long time, in fact up until only shortly before I moved here, I was convinced the name of this town was BULITH Wells. Even now, I have to concentrate a bit when I write it down, to make sure I write BUILTH.

suze
1364248.  Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:25 pm Reply with quote

Do you similarly have to concentrate to use the Welsh "Boolth" pronunciation rather than the English "Bilth" pronunciation?

I once saw Tim Wonnacott off of Bargain Hunt getting told off by some Welsh ladies for using the English pronunciation when his show filmed at the Royal Welsh Showground one time.

crissdee
1364298.  Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:20 am Reply with quote

Everyone I've spoken to here calls it "Bilth", even the ones with Welsh accents you can cut with a spoon! Never heard any other pronunciation tbh, don't know what the Bargain Hunt ladies were moaning about.

I used to like the big antique fair they held over the river at the showground. The stuff was quite expensive as a rule, but there was always a sh*tload of it to browse. I will be happy when it starts again, post-virus.

suze
1364413.  Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:19 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
Everyone I've spoken to here calls it "Bilth", even the ones with Welsh accents you can cut with a spoon! Never heard any other pronunciation tbh, don't know what the Bargain Hunt ladies were moaning about.

I suppose it is always possible that Mr Wonnacott was the victim of a wind up, and the said ladies just wanted to hear him pronounce the name in a strange way on national television. If that was their intention, well it worked; he used that "Boolth" pronunciation on subsequent visits to that location as well.

I discover that there are a small number of citations for spelling the name as Bwlth. If that were the town's Welsh name, well it would be pronounced in the way those ladies wanted. Only thing is, it isn't; as I expect you know, the town's Welsh name is Llanfair ym Muallt (St Mary in the Cowfields, approximately).

Whether the Wells bit refers to springs - which do exist - or is a mistranslation of the Welsh word gwellt (pastures) is disputed, but most sources go with the former.

Last edited by suze on Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Celebaelin
1364427.  Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:36 pm Reply with quote

With the caveat that I've never met anyone from Builth that I'm aware of I've mainly heard it pronounced as Booilth (or Bwilth I suppose) by Welsh speakers.

This video goes with 'Byulth' which is how I'd expect to pronounce Builth but I don't recall ever having heard anyone say it that way.

Quote:
Builth is a longstanding anglicization of the Old Welsh Buellt/Buallt which combines bu being [bɨː], comparable to some Middle English orthography), meaning "ox" with gellt (later gwellt), meaning "lea or leas"; the same form is used regardless of gender of the animal.

The town added "Wells" in the 19th century when its springs were promoted as a visitor attraction. Its modern Welsh name Llanfair-ym-Muallt means "Saint Mary in Ox Leas".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Builth_Wells

Llan means church so I figure it as closer to St. Mary's in Ox Leas/Mary's Church in Ox Leas. Mair becomes fair through lentition apparently.
https://findwords.info/term/llanfair

crissdee
1364436.  Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:20 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
crissdee wrote:
Everyone I've spoken to here calls it "Bilth", even the ones with Welsh accents you can cut with a spoon!

I discover that there are a small number of citations for spelling the name as Bwlth. If that were the town's Welsh name, well it would be pronounced in the way those ladies wanted.

Just the far side of Brecon from here, is the village/town of Bwlch, (wherein you can buy fresh farmed venison) and that is prounounced "Bulch" with a very short "u", and "ch" as in the Scottich "loch".

Last edited by crissdee on Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Celebaelin
1364439.  Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:46 pm Reply with quote

Remember the scene in Zulu with '593' and '716'?

Quote:
Pvt. 593 Jones : What's he up to, 593?

Pvt. 716 Jones : Oh, I think he wants to be hero, 716.

Cpl. Frederic Schiess, NNC : Haven't you rednecks got names instead of numbers?

Pvt. 716 Jones : This is a Welsh regiment, man! Though there are some foreigners from England in it mind. I am Jones from Bwlch Gwyn; he is Jones from Builth Wells and there are four more Joneses in C Company! Confusing, isn't it, Dutchy?

bwlch gwyn - white pass (as in pathway)
blwch gwyn - white box

A matter of how it was historically recorded as opposed to locally known perhaps? Don't tell the Saesneg about the short cut!

Leith
1364441.  Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:14 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
Just the far side of Brecon from here, is the village/town of Blwch, (wherein you can buy fresh farmed venison) and that is prounounced "Bulch" with a very short "u", and "ch" as in the Scottich "loch".

Is that Bwlch on the A40?
It's somewhere I normally pass through often around this time of year in more normal circumstances. Kayaking a stretch of the Usk then a gentle climb to admire the views from Tor y Foel is one of my favourite autumn days out.

Awitt
1364462.  Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:25 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
For a very long time, in fact up until only shortly before I moved here, I was convinced the name of this town was BULITH Wells. Even now, I have to concentrate a bit when I write it down, to make sure I write BUILTH.

When I sent you that parcel, I had to be careful with that.

crissdee
1364480.  Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:21 am Reply with quote

Leith wrote:
crissdee wrote:
Just the far side of Brecon from here, is the village/town of Bwlch,

Is that Bwlch on the A40?

That is indeed the place, having just noticed the spelling error!

Leith
1364612.  Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:10 pm Reply with quote

I had to double-check the spelling myself, as some of my irredeemably English kayaking mates insist on calling it "Blick". Sounds like you're integrating with your adopted homeland rather more successfully!

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next