View previous topic | View next topic

Series R

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

CB27
1352925.  Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:19 am Reply with quote

There are two reasons why you get a chocolate bloom (turning white).

If the chocolate comes into contact with even a small amount of moisture then the bloom is likely to come from the sugar crystals in the chocolate.

If the chocolate is stored somewhere where there's been a significant change in temperature, then the bloom is likely to come from the fat, some of which will have broken down and separated. Usually the chocolate will have become softer as well because of this separation.

Axaman
1353302.  Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:17 pm Reply with quote

In respect of 'non-brewed condiment', a devout Muslim ex-colleague of mine pointed out a few years ago that vinegar is not Halal - it's brewed, whereas non-brewed condiment is not. His preferred option on chips was 'pea-wet'.

Jenny
1353390.  Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:52 am Reply with quote

That had never occurred to me before but it's interesting! Welcome to the forums, Axaman :-)

suze
1353414.  Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:11 am Reply with quote

It turns out that there has been quite a lot of debate among Muslims about vinegar, and there are multiple ahadith which cover the subject.

The consensus seems to be that a Muslim must not buy wine with the intention of converting it to vinegar, and that he must not use vinegar which has been made deliberately by an industrial process. But if someone else's wine has been allowed to turn naturally to vinegar, it's probably OK for a Muslim to use that vinegar.

source

CB27
1353442.  Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:21 pm Reply with quote

Don't forget that not all vinegar will be kosher either, because of kashrut laws regarding wine.

suze
1353450.  Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:08 pm Reply with quote

I've heard of "kosher wine", and I have a feeling I've actually drunk some. Isn't it horrendously sweet? (For my liking, anyway. My first choice alcoholic beverage has always been beer, but when I do drink wine it needs to be somewhere between dry and very dry.)

Does it actually differ from "normal" wine in any way beyond being made by observant Jewish people?

crissdee
1353454.  Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:05 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
There are two reasons why you get a chocolate bloom (turning white).

If the chocolate comes into contact with even a small amount of moisture then the bloom is likely to come from the sugar crystals in the chocolate.

If the chocolate is stored somewhere where there's been a significant change in temperature, then the bloom is likely to come from the fat, some of which will have broken down and separated. Usually the chocolate will have become softer as well because of this separation.

That's interesting. There should only be a miniscule amount of sugar in my biccies (less than 0.5g per 100g according to the pack), and they have been in the cupboard the whole time, so no real temp changes.

dr.bob
1353490.  Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:23 am Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, do the biscuits contain any different types of sugar?

One of my colleagues is allergic to sugar, and so avoids it. However, he is able to eat fructose since it is processed differently by the body than glucose. I'm just wondering if your biscuits contain another type of sugar which is acceptable to diabetics but has similar physical properties to glucose and hence might produce the same "blooming" effect. Or do they just remove all sugars and replace them with some kind of sweetener instead?

CB27
1353536.  Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:30 am Reply with quote

The thing about Kosher wine is that it can't have been used for anything that is against Jewish law, and because wine was important in many pagan religions while worshipping other gods, this would be seen as idolatry and that's why observant Jews will only drink Kosher wine.

To make sure it's Kosher the harvesting, fermenting and bottling needs to be done by observant Jews. Some orthodox Jews will also insist that it must be poured by a Jew as well to avoid accidental switching of wines, but that's not part of the original laws.

For most observant Jews, including many orthodox ones, they accept that if the wine is boiled it becomes unfit for idolatry, and is therefore OK to be drunk, no matter who pours it.

Kosher for Passover takes it a little further because there has to be extra care given throughout the whole process that no foods with leavening agents were on the same premises (so no lunchtime sandwiches or crisps for the workers...).

The whole "Kosher wine is too sweet" is actually a bit of a half\half myth\truth.

Kosher wine is not any sweeter than other wines. However, because the early producers of Kosher wine in the US happened to use Concord grapes (usually used for sweets and soft fruits rather than wines), and it was actually popular among non Jews as well, so sold well enough for others to copy. Because other grapes weren't as sweet, some producers also started adding syrup to their wines to mimic the sweetness.

Like everything else American, these wines started being sold abroad at low cost as well, so restaurants in other countries were quite likely to serve cheaper US Kosher wine compared to anything made local, which is why people now connect kosher wine with sweetness.

If you ever need to bring a bottle of Kosher wine to a party that you want to enjoy as well, there should be plenty of good wines out there now.

Awitt
1353602.  Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:53 am Reply with quote

Out of curiosity I've just done a search for the rather general term 'Kosher wine' and got links to most large chain stores and appropriate bottles. Including names like 'Kedem Red Concord' from New York State, this shop describes it as an alternative red.

There was also one called 'Carmel Sacramental' from Israel. Product details:

Quote:
The Carmel King David This wine is from Israel, Galilee region. The Carmel wineries were established in 1882. Today Carmel is Israels leading producer of wines and spirits. Their Sacramental red is a medium-bodied wine with a sweet smooth finish.

crissdee
1353608.  Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:28 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
Out of curiosity, do the biscuits contain any different types of sugar?....... Or do they just remove all sugars and replace them with some kind of sweetener instead?

I have three different iterations on hand. One contains "maltitol", another has "maltitol" and "isomalt", the last refuses to be drawn on the matter. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that malt plays a part in both those sweeteners.

Drop us a PM if your colleague wants more info.

dr.bob
1353898.  Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:28 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
they accept that if the wine is boiled it becomes unfit for idolatry

How does that work?

CB27
1353912.  Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:59 pm Reply with quote

It's hard for me to find a precise source for why this belief seems to exist, but IMO most likely this would have come from the Avodah Zarah section of the Talmud (don't read it when you want to stay awake...).

This section is most likely written around 5th century CE, when Jews were already spread out and living among other communities, so was not only dealing with understanding what was allowed and not, but on how to avoid conflict with other communities while sticking to the rules.

By simply boiling a wine, it alters the taste (have you tried making mulled wine without actually adding sugar, fruit and spices to it?), and my guess is that this was an early attempt to ensure non Jews don't want to share kosher wine with Jews. This would have meant that non Jews couldn't really be offended that Jews didn't drink their wines, they had the excuse they were instructed by religion to go through a ritual that most agreed spoiled the wine.

This is just my hypothesis, doesn't mean it's true :)

zunger
1355101.  Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:29 pm Reply with quote

I think the conversation about "I am not a robot" check-boxes may have unintentionally scared a lot of people. Those boxes don't check your browsing history -- they absolutely cannot see that! What they're looking at is how you use the site itself -- things like the way you moved the mouse on the way to the button, because the patterns of human hand motion are quite distinctive.

(I used to co-head privacy at a major internet company, if someone had tried to access your browser history like that I would have shot them out of a catapult)

Jenny
1355113.  Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:19 pm Reply with quote

I have to say it had never crossed my mind that someone would look at my patterns of hand motion. They might come across a rude signal if they did. In terms of mouse usage, I suppose it's somewhat like the distinctiveness of morse-code users keying.

Welcome to the forums, zunger.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next