View previous topic | View next topic

Is Donald Trump an idiot?

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

CB27
1349790.  Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:08 am Reply with quote

Klaxon if you answered Yes!

Today the word Idiot usually means a stupid person, and it wasn't that long ago that it was also used in legal terms as meaning someone with severe learning difficulties.

The word came into English in the 14th century from French, to mean stupid, but the French added the "stupid" definition when they created the word from the Latin word Idiota, which described someone as simply uneducated, or common.

However, the Latin word itself was based on a Greek word - Idiotes. By the time it was borrowed into Latin, it already took on the meaning of unskilled or ignorant, but the original definition was actually "private citizen" and it simply referred to anyone who wasn't an official.

As Trump is currently the highest ranking politican in the US, he is certainly an official and can therefore not be an Idiot.

Of course, as Tump is in politics, it should be noted that this word is made up of the Latin Poli - meaning many, and Ticks - bloodsucking parasites *

* Yes, before any pedants jump in on this, that last paragraph was a joke...

Celebaelin
1349884.  Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:47 pm Reply with quote

Say what you like about Donald Trump... that's it, say what you like about Donald Trump.

As long as it's not potentially actionable and/or a federal crime which might lead to geographic restriction of access to and/or total loss of this site.

I think he is an embodiment of the American lowest common denominator. He's made a success of it since he appeals to the American-ness of his electorate and has established that that is, or at least was, enough to be sufficiently politically popular to be elected.

To take the pigs ear he's made of recent events and attempt to claim that nightmare as a personal victory is quintessentially positive, upbeat, irrepressible, American and utterly wrong. Under many circumstances this attitude is annoying yet ultimately progressive when the right person takes the reigns - under the current ones it seems delusional and dangerous to both public safety and the democracy of the USA.

Jenny
1349892.  Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:29 pm Reply with quote

First Amendment means we can say what we like about Donald Trump without fear of comeback from the government, as long as we are not urging violence or personal harm to him.

bobwilson
1349909.  Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:14 pm Reply with quote

I'd just like to point out the historical importance of having the (relatively) close conjunction of:

1. The accumulated ability to wipe out humanity held by numerous parties who are, to say the least, not totally in accord
2. A highly interconnected world - more so invisibly than visibly
3. An environment in which the butterfly effect is measurable (although unpredictable) across any metrics of human behaviour (economic, political, cultura)
4. An interloper/deus ex machina - in the form of a worldwide pandemic

This is going to get VERY interesting

Jenny
1349976.  Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:40 am Reply with quote

In the Chinese curse sense.

ali
1350089.  Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:16 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:

However, the Latin word itself was based on a Greek word - Idiotes. By the time it was borrowed into Latin, it already took on the meaning of unskilled or ignorant, but the original definition was actually "private citizen" and it simply referred to anyone who wasn't an official.

My understanding was that an idiot was one who, being entitled to participate in Athenian democracy, did not; preferring to concern himself* with his personal affairs rather than the city's.

*women weren't involved in the democratic process and can therefore not be idiots.

crissdee
1350097.  Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:25 pm Reply with quote

That would make me an idiot then.

The idea is not a new one..........................

Celebaelin
1350235.  Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:22 pm Reply with quote

Idiot is my favourite word to criticise a person's mental capacity but it is definitely intended as an insult (if it's true it's not an insult it's a comment).

The former classifications of IQ categories are one thing

Quote:
Idiots.—Those so defective that the mental development never exceeds that or a normal child of about two years.

Imbeciles.—Those whose development is higher than that of an idiot, but whose intelligence does not exceed that of a normal child of about seven years.

Morons.—Those whose mental development is above that of an imbecile, but does not exceed that of a normal child of about twelve years.

Edmund Burke Huey, Backward and Feeble-Minded Children, 1912

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/moron-idiot-imbecile-offensive-history

Quote:
...moron, imbecile, cretin, and idiot, formerly used as scientific terms in the early 20th century...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imbecile

CB27
1350255.  Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:24 am Reply with quote

For a moment there I wondered why there was a fourth classification of IQ for Edmund Burke Huey alone...

bobwilson
1350614.  Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:59 pm Reply with quote

There's a small logical problem there in the use of the term "normal child" - since "normal child" can only be defined with at least some reference to the benchmark of "idiot" etc.

Deke
1350714.  Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:43 pm Reply with quote

It matters not what the word used to mean, what it means right now is, er... idiot, and the only reason I would never call Trump an idiot is that it would be rude to all the other idiots.

Trump is a mind-bogglingly moronic example of an imbecilic twot who has had the two sides of his brain reversed, jumped on by rabid camels, and reinserted by a doctor of musique concrete, using essence of real concrete to seal the hole....

...or was that Pfeffel-Johnson?

(It's fortunate that this is a place where politics can be discussed sensibly or there's no telling what I might have said)

Jenny
1350756.  Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:58 pm Reply with quote

That seems pretty sensible to me.

Leukoplakia
1351156.  Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:33 pm Reply with quote

I don't really know but one thing for sure, he isn't fit to be the president of the country.

Last edited by Leukoplakia on Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:47 am; edited 2 times in total

Jenny
1351212.  Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:03 am Reply with quote

I agree with you!

crissdee
1351232.  Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:47 pm Reply with quote

President of a golf club would be too much responsibility for him! Perhaps he should just be left on a course somewhere as a hazard......

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next