View previous topic | View next topic

The answer to protests against police brutality is...

Page 17 of 17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17

Alexander Howard
1361293.  Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:09 am Reply with quote

Try to assume good faith. I know a bit more about Lagos than you blithely assume, and do feel for their situation.

American cities can rise in protest over a single act of brutality, as well they might, and the police officers face legal consequences. When the people march, they march in peace, until a section of the crowd takes advantage for personal gain. In Lagos they have been suffering not individual acts but constant brutal policing from a squad which acts with impunity, and when they march, they are shot down.

A Nigerian is worth just as much as an American. When a single man was choked by a thuggish policeman in America, crowds thronged even in London - but for Lagos, not a squeak. I don't believe there is an 'acceptable level of brutality'.

PDR
1361297.  Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:22 am Reply with quote

...and the connection to BLM is?

That's the trouble with you racists - you can only see people as categories. You demonstrated this with your fatuously offensive belittling of the woman in the video and you continue with your offensive agenda here.

Jenny - should we be looking to follow the lead of other social media in "No Platforming" purveyors of offensive racist messages?

PDR

Alexander Howard
1361299.  Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:48 am Reply with quote

There is only one race: the human race. Everything I have said is consistent with that. I have been dismayed to read of brutality on the streets of America, and in Lagos equally: in the latter it was worse, and race is irrelevant.

No - I did not ridicule the woman in the video.

dr.bob
1361323.  Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:43 am Reply with quote

Alexander Howard wrote:
American cities can rise in protest over a single act of brutality, as well they might, and the police officers face legal consequences.

This is very true. When LMPD detective Brett Hankison shot Breonna Taylor five times in her own home, he faced legal consequences.

He was charged with wanton endangerment for endangering a neighbouring white family of three when shots he fired penetrated their apartment.

Interestingly shots also entered the upstairs apartment of a black family but no charges were filed.

crissdee
1361333.  Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:10 am Reply with quote

Alexander Howard wrote:
No - I did not ridicule the woman in the video.

You kind of did, by denigrating her "poor reading" of Hobbes, assuming quite without justification, that any adult must have read his work and be generally conversant with it. I have never read his work, nor am I ever likely to, and I suspect the same could be said by many people on this forum. For that woman, "Hobbes" would almost certainly only connote the tiger who accompanies a small blonde kid called Calvin in various misadventures.

Alexander Howard
1361335.  Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:14 am Reply with quote

That whole thing was shocking, and what it tells us about law enforcement culture over there. One officer was shot and injured: you would think the logical thing would be to pull him out and warn the shooter that he faced overwhelming firepower and to lay his gun down. Instead they sprayed bullets round without sight of a target, as if they were hitting Omaha beach, not inspecting an apartment.

Is this normalised behaviour? Is Hollywood to blame? They did face a legal consequence, but I agree the process was pathetic.

crissdee
1361339.  Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:19 am Reply with quote

You are assuming that a man who opens fire on multiple armed police officers is open to rational argument, a fairly large assumption imho.

Alfred E Neuman
1361343.  Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:24 am Reply with quote

If you canít reason with him, surely you should at least shoot straight and shoot at him only?

CB27
1361376.  Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:27 am Reply with quote

That's all ignoring the difference between the action taken at the time, and what happened afterwards.

In a perfect world procedures would be followed safely and no one would get hurt, but in the heat of the moment people often react unpredictably, whether in uniform or not.

You can't change what happened, but you can punish anyone who should be punished, learn lessons and try and create mechanisms to stop it happening again.

That's not what seems to have happened. Instead we've seen conflicting evidence being given, a seemingly determined hope that it will all be forgotten and go away, and punishments that seem to be based on the victim rather than the offence itself.

'yorz
1362869.  Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:46 pm Reply with quote

FWIW - for me, the answer to police brutality is a better recruitment system.
Psychological profiling, much better training, annual appraisals and more training, and compulsory reporting on bad brothers.

As for the training - here's a vid by Beau, a lad I follow on YT who used to train US cops, but stopped doing that as he explains himself -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmjB7TUroyE&t=302s

Perfectly illustrates that US cop training is severely, if not lethally. lacking.

CB27
1362909.  Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:07 am Reply with quote

Part of the problem is also that the Police service is politicised in the US in a way we don't see in most countries.

Jenny
1362969.  Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:32 am Reply with quote

That was really interesting 'yorz - thanks. Shared to FB.

Page 17 of 17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17