View previous topic | View next topic

The answer to protests against police brutality is...

Page 16 of 17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

dr.bob
1360555.  Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:56 am Reply with quote

Alexander Howard wrote:
That may well be the intent, but if so the lady has clearly not read Hobbes properly as to the social contract

We all know you like to bang on about Hobbes but, just out of interest, have you read any political philosophy that was written since the 17th century?

I mean, judging by your general opinions, I'm suspecting not, but I'm curious.

Alexander Howard
1360603.  Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:53 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
We all know you like to bang on about Hobbes but, just out of interest, have you read any political philosophy that was written since the 17th century?

I mean, judging by your general opinions, I'm suspecting not, but I'm curious.

I read widely, and there are writers for all ages and situations. My shelves heave with books from all sorts of thinkers and politicians, both the great and the loathsome. Different states of commonwealth and society have their own voices to explain them and to look ahead to what to do next. However when you see society collapsing about your ears, there is only one to go to.

PDR
1360604.  Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:57 am Reply with quote

Zu Befehl!

cornixt
1360609.  Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:38 pm Reply with quote

So refute some of her points instead of dismissing her with vaguely related statements.

crissdee
1360618.  Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:21 pm Reply with quote

Alexander Howard wrote:
I read widely...........when you see society collapsing about your ears, there is only one to go to.

This comes across as narrow-minded in the extreme. Surely, when dealing with matters as wide ranging as this, there are a number of equally valid approaches, aren't there?

Alexander Howard
1360623.  Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:24 pm Reply with quote

I was only looking at a narrow aspect of it suggested by an earlier comment, resulting in a flippant retort.

Looking at a fundamental basis for ones philosophical approach is a valid starting point, but inadequate for building a solution. It would need other views and experience to make a practical solution: an issue then is whether any given proposed solutions are based on a sound foundation or if they make assumptions about motive or human nature which are incomplete, inaccurate or plain wishful thinking, so that the whole edifice falls. That's as much as you can get from me at close to midnight though....

dr.bob
1360658.  Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:45 am Reply with quote

I am generally critical of written constitutions which are not regularly renewed. One such as you find in the US seems, to me, to be causing lots of problems due to the fact that people who lived in the late 18th century had very few insights into some of the more detailed problems facing society in the 21st century.

For similar reasons, I would contend that a 17th century political philosopher has little detailed insight into the problems resulting from the provision of policing in 21st century USA, restricting his insights into observations that are so overarching and indefinite to be of virtually no use to dealing with individual grievances.

CB27
1360679.  Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:53 am Reply with quote

Yes, but he uses bigly words :p

PDR
1360681.  Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:10 am Reply with quote

Well as he's so keen on sticking to the thoughts of ancient times perhaps we can have him arrested for his repeated failure to practice archery for two hours on every Sunday morning.

PDR

tetsabb
1360722.  Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:49 pm Reply with quote

Does listening to the Archers omnibus count?

Alexander Howard
1360733.  Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:16 pm Reply with quote

Though I reverence those men of Ancient time, that either have written Truth perspicuously, or set us in a better way to find it out our selves; yet to the Antiquity it self I think nothing due: For if we will reverence the Age, the Present is the Oldest. If the Antiquity of the Writer, I am not sure, that generally they to whom such honour is given, were more Ancient when they wrote, than I am that am Writing: But if it bee well considered, the praise of Ancient Authors, proceeds not from the reverence of the Dead, but from the competition, and mutuall envy of the Living.

PDR
1360734.  Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:17 pm Reply with quote

Nice try, but no. The law required TWO hours.

PDR

dr.bob
1361038.  Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:37 am Reply with quote

Alexander Howard wrote:
Though I reverence those men of Ancient time, that either have written Truth perspicuously, or set us in a better way to find it out our selves; yet to the Antiquity it self I think nothing due: For if we will reverence the Age, the Present is the Oldest. If the Antiquity of the Writer, I am not sure, that generally they to whom such honour is given, were more Ancient when they wrote, than I am that am Writing: But if it bee well considered, the praise of Ancient Authors, proceeds not from the reverence of the Dead, but from the competition, and mutuall envy of the Living.

It is many times with a fraudulent design that men stick their corrupt doctrine with the cloves of other menís wit.

Alexander Howard
1361278.  Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:49 pm Reply with quote

(Very good - I was asking for that one.)

Anyway - Nigeria. That is a country which can teach us a thing or two about police brutality. In comparison, the Americans have nothing to complain about. The good folk of Lagos took to the streets to say that, actually, black lives do matter, and were met by bullets.

PDR
1361280.  Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:04 pm Reply with quote

Alexander Howard wrote:
In comparison, the Americans have nothing to complain about.

What utter drivel. I suggest you count the relative sizes/durations of protests and numbers of deaths/injuries before making such asinine statements again.

Quote:

The good folk of Lagos took to the streets to say that, actually, black lives do matter, and were met by bullets.

I appreciate that to you white supremacists any time people of colour are protesting it must be a "black lives matter" thing because that's all the poor little people have to complain about isn't it? You've actually managed quite an achievement here - you've shown a deeply racist general outlook whilst at the same time exposing massive ignorance of what is happening and extreme laziness in not being bothered to actually find out. Or perhaps you were just trying to make some crass racist joke.

Either way your remarks are extremely offensive I I would ask that you withdraw them at your earliest convenience. Perhaps you could take them to a Jim Davidson/Bernard Manning memorial gig where those attitudes and behaviours might find a constituency.

PDR

Page 16 of 17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next