View previous topic | View next topic

Future QI Recordings due to Covid-19.

Page 1 of 1

Prof Wind Up Merchant
1349064.  Mon May 25, 2020 5:16 am Reply with quote

Hello Forum.

How are these going to be recorded in future due to Covid-19?

HIGNFY is being done with the Host, Permanent Panelists and Guests all broadcasting from home.

Will QI have to do the same? How would the Klaxons work for starters.

Can anyone shed any light?

Last edited by Prof Wind Up Merchant on Sat May 30, 2020 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jenny
1349120.  Mon May 25, 2020 2:50 pm Reply with quote

The last I heard they were hoping to record the last five shows a bit later in the year, hopefully after lockdown status ends.

Awitt
1349143.  Mon May 25, 2020 4:43 pm Reply with quote

Australia's panel-cum news of the week show 'Have you been paying attention' has returned recently, with the panellists all being separate from home, but with the same colour backdrop to sort of resemble the studio.

This show traditionally has a guest or two who asks a series of questions about stuff and these guests have also been shown from their home.

suze
1349164.  Tue May 26, 2020 7:35 am Reply with quote

It certainly won't be up to me, but I very much hope that QI does not resort to what HIGNFY has done.

HIGNFY has gotten better at it over the weeks, and I think someone must at some point have said "Actually Mr Merton, this will work better if you don't just spend 20 minutes laughing at your own jokes", but it's still not really broadcast quality television.

Janet H
1349475.  Sat May 30, 2020 4:12 pm Reply with quote

'The Last Leg' on Ch4 seems to be working reasonably well, despite the host being in Australia and the two other chaps in England.

Prof Wind Up Merchant
1363614.  Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:58 pm Reply with quote

What is the latest news regarding future recordings? Any updates from the Moderators?

Jenny
1363760.  Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:42 am Reply with quote

No idea Prof - maybe you could send a pm to eggshaped?

We are currently researching the S series and well on our way through it, which suggests to me that recordings may happen earlier rather than later in the year.

eggshaped
1364528.  Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:18 am Reply with quote

Hi Prof,

Just vanity-searching my name and found this.

The R Series is in the can; half of it has been aired and the remaining eps will probably be on around Christmas (though we're always at the mercy of BBC Commissioners). We recorded them in-between lockdowns and they're a mixture of a small socially-distanced audience; no audience; and a virtual audience.

The S Series is currently being researched, and we're working on the assumption that we'll record it in March (beginning the last week in February).

We'll be hoping for an audience; but given the rules change on a weekly basis, we won't know that for sure until much closer to the time.

CB27
1364551.  Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:53 am Reply with quote

Don't rush on the S series.

Some of us are still searching for spellbinding spectacular S subjects to suggest for selection in the succeeding series... :p

Prof Wind Up Merchant
1365080.  Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:18 pm Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
Hi Prof,

Just vanity-searching my name and found this.

The R Series is in the can; half of it has been aired and the remaining eps will probably be on around Christmas (though we're always at the mercy of BBC Commissioners). We recorded them in-between lockdowns and they're a mixture of a small socially-distanced audience; no audience; and a virtual audience.

The S Series is currently being researched, and we're working on the assumption that we'll record it in March (beginning the last week in February).

We'll be hoping for an audience; but given the rules change on a weekly basis, we won't know that for sure until much closer to the time.

Thanks eggshaped.

Sounds hopeful. The Graham Norton Show the current series has a socially distant audience grouped in Household bubbles. QI uses the same studio right as the Graham Norton Show?

eggshaped
1366573.  Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:13 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
QI uses the same studio right as the Graham Norton Show?

According to wiki they're in Studio 1 in Television Centre, which is indeed where we film.

One issue we had when we recorded a few shows in Autumn was that we sometimes record two shows in a day; and there's not enough time to do a full wash-down in between those two shows. So we recorded one with an audience and one without. You'll likely see those early in the New Year.

I could see that happening again - but let's be honest, it's all guesswork at this stage.

All I can say is that we're writing with the assumption that we'll record in March; and that we'll get as many people into the audience as we can, responsibly and safely.

eggshaped
1366574.  Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:19 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Some of us are still searching for spellbinding spectacular S subjects to suggest for selection in the succeeding series... :p

First half of scripts are coming together now. The elves will deliver them next week and Anna & I will edit them before Christmas. Sandi will do her pass in the first weeks of January.

But the second half won't be collated till the new year. So there's still time - and like always someone (usually Jenny) is reading through everything in the S Forum and letting everyone know when there's something exceptional posted there.

tetsabb
1366614.  Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:55 am Reply with quote

'Scripts... writing'....
It's not all impromptu????
😉

eggshaped
1366835.  Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:37 pm Reply with quote

Scripts = intro, buzzers, questions, answers, Sandi's notes, links between questions, scores, outro.

Everything else is, of course, impromptu. :)

Prof Wind Up Merchant
1389600.  Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:33 am Reply with quote

I see the S Series started on Thursday. How many episodes were screen with a physical audience?

What will happen in relation to the T Series with liver or virtual audiences.

Will Applause Store site start taking in requests for the physical audience ticket requests. I checked the site and I see you can also apply for Virtual audience tickets there as well.

Page 1 of 1