View previous topic | View next topic

Quotes

Page 5 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Jenny
1370351.  Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:43 pm Reply with quote

Latin - Non omne quod nitet aurum est.

Quote:
Do not hold everything gold that shines like gold.

Alain de Lille 1175.

Quote:
But al thyng which that shyneth as the gold
Nis nat gold, as that I have herd it told.

Chaucer - The Canon's Yeoman's Tale

Hyt is not al golde that glareth

Chaucer - The House of Fame.

Quote:
All that glisters is not gold—
Often have you heard that told.
Many a man his life hath sold
But my outside to behold.
Gilded tombs do worms enfold.
Had you been as wise as bold,
Young in limbs, in judgment old,
Your answer had not been inscrolled
Fare you well. Your suit is cold—

Shakespeare - The Merchant of Venice, Act II, Scene vii.

Quote:

Ode on the Death of a Favourite Cat Drowned in a Tub of Goldfishes

’Twas on a lofty vase’s side,
Where China’s gayest art had dyed
The azure flowers that blow;
Demurest of the tabby kind,
The pensive Selima, reclined,
Gazed on the lake below.

Her conscious tail her joy declared;
The fair round face, the snowy beard,
The velvet of her paws,
Her coat, that with the tortoise vies,
Her ears of jet, and emerald eyes,
She saw; and purred applause.

Still had she gazed; but ’midst the tide
Two angel forms were seen to glide,
The genii of the stream;
Their scaly armour’s Tyrian hue
Through richest purple to the view
Betrayed a golden gleam.

The hapless nymph with wonder saw;
A whisker first and then a claw,
With many an ardent wish,
She stretched in vain to reach the prize.
What female heart can gold despise?
What cat’s averse to fish?

Presumptuous maid! with looks intent
Again she stretch’d, again she bent,
Nor knew the gulf between.
(Malignant Fate sat by, and smiled)
The slippery verge her feet beguiled,
She tumbled headlong in.
Eight times emerging from the flood
She mewed to every watery god,
Some speedy aid to send.
No dolphin came, no Nereid stirred;
Nor cruel Tom, nor Susan heard;
A Favourite has no friend!

From hence, ye beauties, undeceived,
Know, one false step is ne’er retrieved,
And be with caution bold.
Not all that tempts your wandering eyes
And heedless hearts, is lawful prize;
Nor all that glisters, gold.

Thomas Gray

Celebaelin
1370396.  Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:45 am Reply with quote

Further to the Hesse quote in the OP there are these - the Pratchett and Cho quotes resemble each other to a fair extent.

Quote:
I have learned to hate all traitors, and there is no disease that I spit on more than treachery.

Aeschylus c. 525 BC – c. 456 BC

Quote:
From the deepest desires often come the deadliest hate.

Socrates c. 470 BC – 399 BC

Quote:
It is human nature to hate the man whom you have hurt.

Tacitus c. 56 – c. 120

Quote:
Those in supreme power always suspect and hate their next heir.

Tacitus c. 56 – c. 120

Quote:
In time we hate that which we often fear.

William Shakespeare 1564-1616 Antony and Cleopatra Act 1 Scene 3

Quote:
The wicked envy and hate; it is their way of admiring.

Victor Hugo 1802-1885

Quote:
I hate you, God. I hate you as though you actually exist.

Graham Greene 1904-1991 The End of the Affair

Quote:
When there was a choice between love of a woman and hate of a man, her mind could cherish only one emotion, for her love might be a subject for laughter, but no one ever had ever mocked her hatred.

Graham Greene 1904-1991 Orient Express

Quote:
The public is not to see where power lies, how it shapes policy, and for what ends. Rather, people are to hate and fear one another.

Noam Chomsky 1928-

Quote:
But that was just it - hate was exactly the right word. Hate is a force of attraction. Hate is just love with its back turned.

Terry Pratchett 1948-2015 Maskerade

Quote:
If there's one thing I've learned from traveling, it's that it is definitely more important how you are than where you are. You can say, 'Oh, I hate X city, I hate that country, or I prefer this city,' but it's a little bit up to you to find some kind of happiness.

Viggo Mortensen 1958-

Quote:
I realise myself that hate wastes a lot of time and energy, and I would rather re-direct any energy that I have to good and positive use.

Julian Lennon 1963-

Quote:
I have so much hate that it has turned into love.

Margaret Cho 1968- I Have Chosen to Stay and Fight

Quote:
We have a choice about how we take what happens to us in our life and whether or not we allow it to turn us. We can become consumed by hate and darkness, or we're able to regain our humanity somehow, or come to terms with things and learn something about ourselves.

Angelina Jolie 1975-

Quote:
An alternative to love is not hate but patience.

Santosh Kalwar 1982-

Celebaelin
1374419.  Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:20 am Reply with quote

Many comments on memory and imagination exhibit similarities, some are however unparalleled and one is an immortal reminder of the dangers involved in crossing a playwright-turned politician; one suspects that the following parliamentary squelch spent a while lying in wait sniggering before brutalising an unwary target:

Quote:
The right honourable gentleman is indebted to his memory for his jests, and to his imagination for his facts.

Richard Brinsley Sheridan (1751-1816)

Quote:
A poet ought not to pick nature's pocket. Let him borrow, and so borrow as to repay by the very act of borrowing. Examine nature accurately, but write from recollection, and trust more to the imagination than the memory.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1772-1834)

Quote:
It is all very well to copy what one sees, but it is far better to draw what one now only sees in one's memory. That is a transformation in which imagination collaborates with memory.

Edgar Degas (1834-1917)

Quote:
Every act of perception, is to some degree an act of creation, and every act of memory is to some degree an act of imagination.

Oliver Sacks (1933- 2015)

Quote:
Obviously the facts are never just coming at you but are incorporated by an imagination that is formed by your previous experience. Memories of the past are not memories of facts but memories of your imaginings of the facts.

Philip Roth (1933-2018)

Quote:
Many think of memory as rote learning, a linear stuffing of the brain with facts, where understanding is irrelevant. When you teach it properly, with imagination and association, understanding becomes a part of it.

Tony Buzan (1942-2019)

Quote:
For memory, we use our imagination. We take a few strands of real time and carry them with us, then like an oyster we create a pearl around them.

William John Banville (1945-)

Quote:
Many memory techniques involve creating unforgettable imagery, in your mind's eye. That's an act of imagination. Creating really weird imagery really quickly was the most fun part of my training to compete in the U.S. Memory Competition.

Joshua Foer (1982-)

Celebaelin
1388569.  Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:27 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Brass bands, flags, banners, parades, and monster demonstrations are no different in principle from ecclesiastical processions, cannonades, and fireworks to scare off demons. Only, the suggestive parade of State power engenders a collective feeling of security which, unlike religious demonstrations, give the individual no protection against his inner demonism. Hence he will cling all the more to the power of the State, i.e., to the mass, thus delivering himself up to it psychically as well as morally and putting the finishing touch to his social depotentiation. The State, like the Church, demands enthusiasm, self-sacrifice, and love, and if religion requires or presupposes the “fear of God,” then the dictator State takes good care to provide the necessary terror.

The Undiscovered Self C.G. Jung (1875-1961)

Quote:
Where the many are, there is security; what the many believe must of course be true; what the many want must be worth striving for, and necessary, and therefore good.

The Undiscovered Self C.G. Jung

Quote:
The most intense conflicts, if overcome, leave behind a sense of security and calm that is not easily disturbed. It is just these intense conflicts and their conflagration which are needed to produce valuable and lasting results.

The Structure and Dynamics of the Psyche C.G. Jung

Page 5 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5