View previous topic | View next topic

Quotes

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Celebaelin
1347336.  Sun May 03, 2020 2:10 pm Reply with quote

I have an idea.

*assorted gasps and snorts of derision*

For a while I've thought there has been a missing element to the forum - specifically I mean great quotes from throughout the ages (or from today or yesterday for that matter).

If I could I'd have posted this to Lists - perhaps a moderator will deem it worthy... perhaps not.

Anyway I'll suggest that

Quote:
If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us.

Hermann Hesse, Demian: Die Geschichte von Emil Sinclairs Jugend (1923)

Is worthy of some note* - it's got to be more elegant than 'I know you are but what am I?' anyway.

* the sex specificity of it is clearly an abhorrent anachronism since we obviously now know that females can be as detestable as males.

Further contributions are invited with or without explanation and/or justification.

crissdee
1347339.  Sun May 03, 2020 2:55 pm Reply with quote

I have one, but unfortunately, I can't for the life of me remember the source.

“Questions you cannot answer are usually far better for you than answers you cannot question”

And my favourite from Steviebabes;

“The immense talent, passion and literary brilliance that Conan Doyle brought to his work give him a unique place in English letters. Personally, I'd walk a million miles in tight boots just to read his letters to the milkman”

Jenny
1347340.  Sun May 03, 2020 3:02 pm Reply with quote

I'll move this to Lists for you :-)

Although there is actually a real life QI book of quotations called Advanced Banter. It's OK Cele - it's only been out since 2008.

Celebaelin
1347344.  Sun May 03, 2020 3:22 pm Reply with quote

woot

It transpires that crissdee's is from Yuval Noah Harari in 21 Lessons for the 21st Century

Although it sounds older it's a bit contemporary for me so as an alleged fuddy-duddy I'm unhappy with your modern knowledge; alternatively I might by association be elevated by the same process. To my mind that's the point of citations; the association implies that a synoptic understanding binds together those who value the elegant use of language that's implied by the expressed admiration.

Or to put it another way...

Quote:
The nice thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive.

Kenneth Charles Williams (22 February 1926 – 15 April 1988)

Last edited by Celebaelin on Sun May 03, 2020 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Celebaelin
1347345.  Sun May 03, 2020 3:23 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I'll move this to Lists for you :-)

Although there is actually a real life QI book of quotations called Advanced Banter. It's OK Cele - it's only been out since 2008.

I've read it, it needs work :p

A lot of work needed to establish the real originators I guess.

Celebaelin
1348601.  Tue May 19, 2020 7:43 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Every quotation contributes something to the stability or enlargement of the language.

Samuel Johnson 1709-1784

ali
1348654.  Tue May 19, 2020 6:34 pm Reply with quote

Alcuin of York wrote:
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.

From a letter to Charlemagne: it translates roughly as 'Don't listen to those who maintain that the voice of the people is the voice of God, since the noise of the crowd is always close to madness.'

Celebaelin
1349360.  Thu May 28, 2020 3:01 pm Reply with quote

The exact opposite of the modern use of 'vox populi, vox dei' - quite so!

Quote:
Thackeray settled like a meat-fly on whatever one had got for dinner, and made one sick of it.

John Ruskin (8 February 1819 – 20 January 1900)

re William Makepeace Thackeray (18 July 1811 – 24 December 1863) - so nice to have an opinion from an obvious acquaintance.

bobwilson
1349369.  Thu May 28, 2020 4:12 pm Reply with quote

ref the original post - shouldn't Hermann Hesse quotes be credited to anonymous? Or at least to an unidentified game player?

Celebaelin
1349372.  Thu May 28, 2020 4:25 pm Reply with quote

Explain.

bobwilson
1349413.  Fri May 29, 2020 9:25 am Reply with quote

The Glass Bead Game - which is a "biography" in a world where biographies are just not the done thing.

Celebaelin
1350252.  Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:50 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Nature has no cure for this sort of madness, though I have known a legacy from a rich relative work wonders.

F. E. Smith, 1st Earl Of Birkenhead on Bolshevism

Quote:
What right have such men to represent Christianity - as if it were an institution for getting up idiots genteelly?

George Eliot in Middlemarch

Celebaelin
1355335.  Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:56 am Reply with quote

Quote:
But Love has pitched his mansion in
The place of excrement;

W. B. Yeats Crazy Jane Talks with the Bishop

Not the usual ethereal Yeats.

Celebaelin
1355828.  Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:10 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Death is nothing, nor life either, for that matter. To die, to sleep, to pass into nothingness, what does it matter? Everything is an illusion.

'Mata Hari'

Margaretha Geertruida "Margreet" MacLeod (née Zelle)

Too late to settle that one for Hamlet though obviously.

Quote:
Interestingly, consciousness and understanding are always tied to a short time span, which was called the specious present by the philosopher and psychologist William James (brother of novelist Henry). The specious present is closely related to the phenomenon of short-term memory and our ability to grasp and understand sentences, lines of poems and snatches of melody. It has a duration of up to about three seconds.

Julian Barbour The End of Time: The Next Revolution in Physics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Barbour

I'm not sure where he gets the three seconds thing from - that's certainly much shorter than the duration of short-term memory. His belief seems to be that memory is an artificial construct utilised by biological entities to make their environment understandable. AFAIUI the current view of physicists is that every moment is eternal and there are an ever-increasing number of parallel universes generating these eternal moments; Stephen Hawking was intrigued as to why we were unable to remember the future.

Is anyone else reminded of the movie Arrival?

Jenny
1355863.  Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:48 pm Reply with quote

Didn't Stephen Hawking arrange a party for time travellers from the future, to which nobody turned up?

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next