View previous topic | View next topic

Interesting places you'd like to go when you can

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Celebaelin
1345761.  Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:23 pm Reply with quote

A war which would have been a damn sight simpler if we'd just stayed in England and shot fifty thousand of our own men a week.

HG Wells had some interesting things to say about the causes of WWI, surplus labour and industrial over-production; so callous, so tragic.

Jenny
1345769.  Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:51 pm Reply with quote

I did one of my bucket list trips a few years ago, via Star Clippers, and went from Athens to Istanbul, stopping at Mykonos, Kos, Patmos, Ephesus, Pergamon and Troy on the way. I'd love to do that again with some different islands.

I want to go back to all sorts of bits of France to show them to Woodsman, but he has such a hard time walking anywhere more than a quarter of a mile at the moment that I think we'd have to do it in a car mostly. I want to go to various bits of Italy I haven't been to as well, and Switzerland. I honestly don't have much of an urge to go to the Far East, though I'd be quite interested to go back to my birthplace in Mumbai.

Alfred E Neuman
1345776.  Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:43 pm Reply with quote

The two trips Iíve got on my radar are to Montagu, to visit a friend whose wedding I was meant to attend, but the lockdown got in the way, and then to the US to visit my first grandchild, who hasnít quite been born yet.

Iím not confident enough in the future to book a flight yet, as Iíve got no idea when theyíll actually start to take place again, and even when they do, I donít know if spending sixteen hours in a tin can with a couple of hundred strangers before visiting a baby will be a good idea.

Celebaelin
1345797.  Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:12 pm Reply with quote

Just to re-iterate those are some of the places I haven't been to yet that I'd like to go - there are lots of other places I'd like to re-visit. Air travel is usually an unpleasantly cramped experience for me however so unless I get a bunch of money from somewhere so I can get in the posh seats I shan't be going to many of those.

monzac
1345801.  Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:15 am Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
... to the US to visit my first grandchild, who hasnít quite been born yet.

I hope you can do it soon Alf :)

Awitt
1345805.  Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:18 am Reply with quote

Big Martin wrote:
Did the French part of the WW1 battlefields on a camping trip with Little Brother some years ago and the Belgian bits on my way back from the Twinning meet-up in Germany more recently.
Found great-great uncle Harry's name on the Thiepval Memorial during the first trip. He's the only one of the (reasonably close) family to be killed in WW1. Great grandfather never got further than Deal (40+ and cross-eyed) and grandfather survived his RN service. A great-great uncle on my mother's side also died whilst serving with the army, but back in Britain of an infection picked up during a minor operation.

In 2017, as part of the centenary anniversaries of all these battles, my mum and sister went to the French/Belgian battlefield where a distant cousin of my great grandmother died in the war.

Being unemployed at the time I was unable to go, both for the cost and because I had to keep reporting to the job office for my benefits etc. Missing an appointment can see one cut off from one's payments.

tetsabb
1345832.  Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:34 am Reply with quote

Mornington Crescent?

Prof Wind Up Merchant
1347595.  Thu May 07, 2020 6:36 am Reply with quote

Antartica just to see Emperor Penguins in the wild.

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1375800.  Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:51 pm Reply with quote

I quite fancy the Falklands, South Georgia and Antarctica, if I could afford to of course!

My cousin is working in the Falklands right now and sends regular blogs. There is a lot more to see and do that might at first meet the eye, especially if you're into walking or natural history.

I'd also like to visit Sir Ernest Shackleton's tomb.

AlmondFacialBar
1377780.  Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:53 pm Reply with quote

A whole lot, but the day before yesterday I started planning my summer holidays for 2022 (pestilence permitting, obviously) and they'll involve meeting up with an American friend in Reykjavik and going adventuring together. Iceland has been on both our bucket lists forever and being the pathetic nerds we are, photo opp silliness at the Mid-Atlantic Ridge will most certainly feature. Can't wait! 😁

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

suze
1377784.  Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:45 pm Reply with quote

Been there, done that, and you must too!

All I will say is, unless you're planning to drive right around řjůūvegur 1, don't go for much more than a week. The island is larger than Ireland but with the population of Bonn, and away from ReykjavŪk there's an awful lot of bugger all !

AlmondFacialBar
1377785.  Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:48 pm Reply with quote

We're planning for a week at most. As yet, there'll be hydrothermal lagoon dipping, riding, mid-Atlantic ridging, the schlong museum... And no, probably not driving all around the island. We'll see, it's early days yet.

AlmondFacialBar

Last edited by AlmondFacialBar on Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total

tetsabb
1377813.  Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:15 am Reply with quote

And 'tourist volcanoes'?

AlmondFacialBar
1377816.  Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:22 am Reply with quote

Yup, very much so! And we shall go full-on Karen at the hotel receptionist if there's no pretty little eruption on to fry hotdogs over! That is, friend will do the Karen and I'll act the civilised European trying to calm her down. 😛

AlmondFacialBar

Awitt
1377821.  Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:37 am Reply with quote

One of my local writer friends has been to Iceland a couple of times, I think even managing to secure a writer's residency there a few years ago.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next