View previous topic | View next topic

Interesting places you'd like to go when you can

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jenny
1345411.  Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:09 pm Reply with quote

A fantasy thread for when we're all free again!

This one looks worth a visit.

Prof Wind Up Merchant
1345686.  Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:44 am Reply with quote

Right here goes. Don't kill me. Wales. Went there for a family trip before starting primary school so never remembered it. Then in the late 90s for a pre wedding party day trip North of Cardiff. Finally in my current job visited my work's Cardiff office for a day visit.

Also want to visit South America and Australia.

Jenny
1345693.  Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:53 pm Reply with quote

There are some lovely places to visit in Wales. My son-in-law's parents lived in Penally, near Tenby, for quite a few years, and we visited them a few times. Nice scenery and interesting castles. I'd like to go back to North Wales when I can, and I'd like to visit Portmeirion.

PDR
1345694.  Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:54 pm Reply with quote

Beyond the end of my drive.

PDR

tetsabb
1345702.  Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:07 pm Reply with quote

Once the servants have swept it, presumably.

crissdee
1345705.  Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:52 pm Reply with quote

Past my damn gate!

If any of you do make it to Wales, please remember that a friendly welcome awaits behind the front door of WYEBODDA!

cnb
1345710.  Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:28 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:

Which one? Oh sorry, the West Drive is only for tradesmen, isn't it.

PDR
1345712.  Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:14 pm Reply with quote

cnb wrote:
PDR wrote:

Which one? Oh sorry, the West Drive is only for tradesmen, isn't it.

Well the west entrance isn't really a drive as such - it's barely half a mile long and only leads through the lower paddock to the servants quarters. It's true that there's a small road from there to the back stairs by the master bedroom, but that's only for boxing day. Obviously the South Avenue is only for seriously formal occasions (like the annual State Opening of my wallet) and it's a bit pretentious for ordinary day-to-day use, so yes - we generally get by with just the North Drive. It may only be three miles long, but this isn't the 1850s, you know.

PDR

tetsabb
1345733.  Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:26 am Reply with quote

No mention of an Eastern Approach to PDR Towrrs. Do you live in a slum?

PDR
1345738.  Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:27 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
No mention of an Eastern Approach to PDR Towrrs. Do you live in a slum?

That approach leads only to the bunker complex - it is classified, and anyone travelling through the gully without the required credentials is shot on sight.

PDR

Celebaelin
1345743.  Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:27 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I'd like to visit Portmeirion.

I've been a few times; it's very close to where my father's side of the family originates and is so very strange. Most of the stuff there looks better from a distance so that the sense of scale and immediacy is lost in favour of the general composition - which I'd have to say is rather pleasing. There's also a rather nice restaurant which you might consider booking for.

For myself I have an extensive list of places I'd like to visit that I haven't been to; some of which are more practical/safe to visit than others. Traveling generally eastwards how about: Lisbon, Salamanca, Carnac, Agincourt, Waterloo, Cologne, Saalberg, Berlin, Russia (St. Petersburg, Moscow), Vienna, Croatia (Split - Diocletian's Palace), Mycenae, Tevfikiye (Troy), Syria (Crac des Chevaliers), Jordan (Amman, Petra), Egypt (Alexandria, Karnac etc), Mali (Timbuktu), Gabon (Cape Lopez), South Africa (Cape Town), Ethiopia (Yeha), Yemen (Ma'rib), Israel (Jerusalem, Bethlehem), 'Mesopotamia' (Babylon, Ur, Sumer, Akkad etc), Nepal, Thailand, Singapore, China (Beijing, Shaanxi etc.), the family-relevant bits of Australia, Galapagos Islands, Peru (Machu Picchu, Cusco), Guatemala (Tikal etc), Mexico (Tenochtitlán etc), Grand Junction Colorado, Republic Michigan, the family-relevant bits of Canada, New York, New Grange and Hadrian's Wall.

Last edited by Celebaelin on Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total

PDR
1345744.  Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:47 am Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
Lisbon, Salamanca, Carnac, Agincourt, Waterloo, Cologne, Saalberg, Berlin, St. Petersburg, Moscow, Vienna, Split, Mycenae, Tevfikiye (Troy), Crac des Chevaliers, Petra, Egypt (Alexandria, Karnac etc), Timbuktu, Gabon (Cape Lopez), Cape Town, Yeha, Ma'rib, Jerusalem, 'Mesopotamia' (Babylon, Ur, Sumer, Akkad etc), Nepal, Thailand, Singapore, China (Beijing, Shaanxi etc.), the family-relevant bits of Australia, Galapagos Islands, Peru (Machu Picchu, Cusco), Guatemala (Tikal etc), Mexico (Tenochtitlán etc), Grand Junction Colorado, Republic Michigan, the family-relevant bits of Canada, New York, New Grange and Hadrian's Wall.

Actually that was the routing I got when I went onto the rail ticket system and asked for a fast fare to Preston.

PDR

crissdee
1345751.  Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:23 am Reply with quote

I would like to do the/a tour of WW1 battlefields, particularly Beaumont Hamel on the Somme, where my grandfather served. I would also like to do the same sort of thing in Vietnam. On a similar theme, the route from Kabul to Candahar, where my great-grandfather took part in the famous march under Lord Roberts during the 2nd Afghan campaign would be interesting.

@PDR. Did they mention the replacement bus service between Nepal and Babylon?

PDR
1345753.  Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:35 am Reply with quote

No, they let me find that out when I got there, as usual.

PDR

Big Martin
1345757.  Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:43 am Reply with quote

Did the French part of the WW1 battlefields on a camping trip with Little Brother some years ago and the Belgian bits on my way back from the Twinning meet-up in Germany more recently.
Found great-great uncle Harry's name on the Thiepval Memorial during the first trip. He's the only one of the (reasonably close) family to be killed in WW1. Great grandfather never got further than Deal (40+ and cross-eyed) and grandfather survived his RN service. A great-great uncle on my mother's side also died whilst serving with the army, but back in Britain of an infection picked up during a minor operation.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next