View previous topic | View next topic

Living with an Electric Car

Page 12 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

franticllama
1365991.  Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:54 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:

Firstly is it not wise to withdraw part of a plan where the technology is currently unavailable?

Would it not have been wise to consider that before putting it into the plan?

barbados
1365996.  Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:17 am Reply with quote

Aren't there usually two parts to a plan?
The things you would like now and the things You aspire to?
Hydrogen boilers are the thing to aim for in the long term plan, but not currently available

suze
1365998.  Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:24 am Reply with quote

franticllama wrote:
Would it not have been wise to consider that before putting it into the plan?

Well, quite.

Mr Johnson isn't dim, so you might imagine that he'd get his people to establish that something is possible before he announces that it will happen.

His office claims that this was indeed done, but someone forgot to delete a paragraph from the Word document. I'm not convinced, but this is possible. But when the Word document is really quite important, you'd think that someone would check it before publishing it.

As for The Sun, well it's not my idea of a quality newspaper any more than it is barbados's. But it is the Official Voice of Murdoch, so anything it writes about a Conservative government is worth taking note of.

dr.bob
1376123.  Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:21 am Reply with quote

An interesting development spotted on the BBC. While electric cars are often seen here as a rich-person's plaything, this report highlights a scheme run by a start-up company based in Kenya designed to replace petrol-driven outboard motors on fishing boats with electric versions.

Currently the company is leasing the motors to the fishermen, with the advantage being that the company takes on responsibility for repairs and general maintenance as well as charging the batteries every day.

It'll be interesting to see if it takes off, but the fisherman interviewed in the report states that it's less expensive to run, so he's making money from it. Not only that, but it saves him from having to inhale the fumes from the old-fashioned ICE power unit.

PDR
1376133.  Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:04 am Reply with quote

It's an interesting development that looks promising.

But I do wish people [the quoted source, not DrBob] wouldn't over-egg their commendations with comments like this:

Quote:
Not only that, but it saves him from having to inhale the fumes from the old-fashioned ICE power unit.

Outboard motors are almost invariably mounted at the arse-end (apologies for the technical terms) of the boat, so when in motion the exhaust would be unlikely to get as far forward as the occupants But even if we ignore this aspect, outboard motor exhausts are generally under water (either through the centre of the propeller shaft or at the base of the skeg) because this provides very good muffling and reduces the risk from exhaust fumes. The amount of this exhaust gas that makes it back anywhere near the boat's occupants would be in homeopathic concentrations.

Also I think we are still a long way from deeming ICE power to be inherently "old fashioned", especially since the higher-power applications are looking more likely to head in the direction of hydrogen-fuelled ICE (with the tech focussing on addressing the nitrous [etc] content than all-electric systems.

Let's not risk the good stuff being lost through over-enthusiasm leading to unjustified claims!

PDR

crissdee
1376140.  Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:06 am Reply with quote

Incidentally, I've finally found a diesel-electric hybrid vehicle that I would be happy to own. I fear however it might prove less than practical around town. I present the Rusak Hybrid.

Jenny
1376157.  Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:24 am Reply with quote

This one looks interesting if they can make it more functional.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-solutions/interactive/2021/solar-car/

cornixt
1376160.  Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:44 am Reply with quote

One of my earliest memories is the smell of the diesel from the motor of a small boat I was on at age 5/6.

I think that anyone who has been on a small boat has inhaled more than a lungful of fumes from the motor, there's not really any way of avoiding it when you first start up unless the wind is blowing it away from you, and most troubleshooting involves your face being right in it. Once you are going, you aren't going to be breathing it, but at all other times you stand a good chance.

Awitt
1376378.  Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:28 am Reply with quote

Just recently here there has been more discussion on EV's (electric vehicles) and a husband and wife said they had to take the petrol car on a recent holiday, not knowing nor being sure just where there were charging points.

I know that last year at their own expense, the owner of the small Victorian town of Walhalla's hotel has put in charging points, at the side of the building, and today I've seen another post of a car plugged in.

crissdee
1376387.  Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:48 am Reply with quote

This has been something of a constant theme in the whole EV/ICE debate. EVs are never going to be truly practical until the infrastructure is coming close to that which is in place for ICEs. With the best will in the world, and even with massive governmental shaking of the money tree, this is not going to happen soon.

Jenny
1377250.  Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:14 pm Reply with quote

I saw an interesting article in Science Daily this morning:

Inexpensive tin packs a big punch for the future of supercapacitors

I've always thought that the future of electricity as a sustainable fuel for transport would depend on technological developments in both speed of charging and storage capacity. This is obviously not at the moment aimed at vehicles, but can anybody techier than me see how it could be?

PDR
1377262.  Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:52 pm Reply with quote

Electricity isn't a fuel - it's a means of energy storage.

The difference between batteries and capacitors is that batteries store energy through electrochemical conversion where capacitors actually store electric charge directly by moving electrons around a crystal lattice. Each have good and bad features as a means of storing energy for (say) cars. Capacitors may end up being more efficient, but they will always suffer the issue that their voltage is directly proportional to their charge state (so a half charged capacitor will have half the voltage of a full one where a half-charged battery may only be a few percent down). But supercapacitor technology is comparatively immature and there's potentially scope for overcoming these deficiencies.

PDR

bobwilson
1377269.  Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:59 pm Reply with quote

Why do electric cars need to be plugged into a charging station? Why don't they have removeable fuel packs that can be slotted in and out as and when required?

I notice that the spec for the car mentioned above says "can travel 150 miles after just 15 mins charging". Well, bully for it. I can travel 150 miles in my car after just 2 mins fuelling - 15 mins fuelling would involve lugging a tanker-trailer around with me!

crissdee
1377271.  Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:02 pm Reply with quote

I think we covered that earlier in the discussion, bob.

From a skim of the thread, it appears not. I'm sure we talked about it somewhere though, I will have a search and get back to you...

a bit later

post 1309227 seems to be where we started discussing the issue.

Jenny
1377351.  Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:01 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Electricity isn't a fuel - it's a means of energy storage.

Well so is petrol on that basis. It simply stores the energy synthesised by sunlight a few million years ago.

Page 12 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next