Page 280 of 284
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284  Next

barbados
1390349.  Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:24 am Reply with quote

What are you struggling with?
Itís really quite straightforward.

Alexander Howard
1390350.  Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:45 am Reply with quote

I've never been on a long-haul flight. I think every flight I have taken, even just a hop to Hamburg, had an in-flight plastic meal.

(I had an uncle who used to fly to Hamburg a lot in the '40s, and he always took his own food in his pocket. Back in those days comfort was not expected and it could be very rough. He couldn't tell me much about the city as it was always dark, and he didn't land.)

Are the airlines not serving in-flight meals, even on long flights? It doesn't bother me as I'm going nowhere. I appreciate a sealed, pressurised tube with recirculated air in which you are stuck for hours is not the same as a train carriage.

CB27
1390356.  Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:22 am Reply with quote

Although I haven't had the need to fly, I know several people who had taken long haul flights, and it seems a lot of information is given to passengers concerning certain fears.

Below are what good long haul airlines are doing, but you need to check with your airline:

The first is about air circulation. Long Haul carriers will tend to use new planes which have a partial air circulation that runs through very high spec HEPA filters. This doesn't mean viruses can't get through, but they're considered as safe as a hospital operating theatre.

Before each flight, all surfaces are sterilised, including head rests, pillow covers, blankets and anything you might come into contact with.

Good airlines will also provide you with a care kit containing sanitiser, wipes, etc.

Good airlines not only advise on the best masks to wear (for long haul it's recommended to use KN95 masks for both protection and breathability), but they will advise on how many to bring. It's usually advisable that a face mask should be worn no longer than 4 hours before being replaced to ensure it's efficient. You should therefore bring enough masks for your flight (plus at least one extra for the period in airports.

One friend in Taiwan mentioned the airline he travelled on provided masks, I don't know if all of them do, and what standard.

You're meant to wear your masks at all times except when necessary to remove (i.e. during eating), and that should be for short periods of times to minimise risk. Again, I don't know the rules on all airlines, but I did hear from 2 different people that the meals on board their flights were staggered to allow people to remove their masks temporarily while their neighbours kept their on. I have a feeling that'll be a step too far for most airlines.

barbados
1390360.  Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:45 am Reply with quote

One flaw in the recycled air is the route taken by a sneeze is downward, then it dispersed at ground level, then upwards to the filters.

Which is fine all the time you are masked, because your sneeze is going into the mask, but if you are taking a drink, then it gets dispersed and carried further than if you were in the supermarket for example

PDR
1390366.  Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:35 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
What are you struggling with?

The concept of a post describing something as a problem followed by a post denying you said there was a problem.

It's really quite straightforward.

PDR

barbados
1390372.  Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:59 am Reply with quote

As criss said, 6.25 without a drink or food isnít a problem, Iíd be uncomfortable with it, hence asking Jenny if it might be a problem for her.
Is that suitably explained for you?

PDR
1390376.  Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:51 am Reply with quote

Oh I see - it was just the usual mansplaining. OK, got you now.

PDR

barbados
1390381.  Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:24 am Reply with quote

Again, no.
And I guess you don't.

CB27
1390397.  Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:25 pm Reply with quote

You two need to get a room one of these days...

PDR, barbados is claiming it's not a problem, so let's leave it at that.

barbados, Jenny wrote a statement "You're supposed to keep your mask on during travel. At least, I intend to."

To which you replied "On a 6.25 hour flight you aren't going to eat or drink?"

crissdee then asked "I frequently go six or seven hours between meals, why should it be a problem?"

And you immediately denied suggesting it's a problem.

This is not the first time you've asked a question that looks to all intents and purposes to challenge the view of someone or posit an opposite view and then when challenged claim it's just a question.

You're share responsibility for how people react to your post as they are for the way they react.

barbados
1390398.  Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:33 pm Reply with quote

In which case, kindly explain how I should have phrased the question?

Numerophile
1390403.  Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:03 pm Reply with quote

If you didn't think it was a problem, what was the point of raising the issue at all?

Brock
1390404.  Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:08 pm Reply with quote

Hey, everyone:

Why not simply wait for Jenny to answer the question?

barbados
1390406.  Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:26 pm Reply with quote

That sounds like a cracking idea.

Jenny
1390412.  Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:33 pm Reply with quote

It's an overnight flight. I probably won't eat. I may have a drink, but given all the safety precautions laid out in the article I linked and that I know of, I don't think that's likely to be a problem. I will wear my KN95 mask 99% of the time. It won't be a problem for me.

barbados
1390428.  Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:08 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I don't think that's likely to be a problem. I will wear my KN95 mask 99% of the time. It won't be a problem for me.

And that is fine - youíve assessed the risks, and are happy with what youíve deemed as responsible.
For me I donít feel comfortable sat in a metal tube based on research led by the people who are interested in getting you sat in a metal tube, Iím pretty much the same with all public transport, so while my approach to ďresearchĒ is from a more sceptical side - my concern is one of proximity because we do need to get back as close to normal as we can. Hence my suggestion that I would be happy to sit in a field/walk down the street without a mask, and where I cannot move away from others (my health is my responsibility, in the same way your health is yours). Iím not entirely sure why you have been so strongly against the decisions Iíve made, yet you are quite happy to come to you conclusion - using similar ďresearchĒ
(Iíve ďĒed the research simply because of a recent Facebook post I read)

Page 280 of 284
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284  Next