View previous topic | View next topic

Riding

Page 1 of 1

ArthurRabbit
1342751.  Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:47 am Reply with quote

Why might a young man between the ages of 22 and 24 be fired if the hasn't got your riding certificate?

Came across this tidbit today. In the regulations for the 1894 Civil Service examinations that all candidates must pass their riding certificate to be admitted into the Indian Civil Service. This is on top of the written examinations. Don't worry if you are no great rider, you may get a job so long as you reach an adequate riding standard within the first year of appointment (though it is preferred you pass before appointment). If you fail, sadly you will be thrown out of the civil service and you will never be allowed to enter again. I say man of 22 to 24 because these were the age restrictions on the examination at the time.

Jenny
1342761.  Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:45 am Reply with quote

I guess in 1894 if you couldn't ride it would be like not being able to drive today.

Alexander Howard
1344308.  Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:26 am Reply with quote

I am peeved that due to timing I will be missing the Common Riding this year. It is a lovely tradition in many of the towns of the Middle Shires. It is an ancient tradition, and like most an ancient traditions it was "rediscovered" actually quite recently in some towns imitating their neighbours.

Page 1 of 1