View previous topic | View next topic

The weather thread - All New 2021 Edition

Page 59 of 59
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59

tetsabb
1390212.  Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:27 am Reply with quote

Awitt wrote:
Four seasons in a day today.

Alternating sunny periods, then light fluffy clouds, then dark clouds come over, heavy rain and some hail, then it all goes.

Pah! No snow? Not really trying, is it?😉

Another day of bright sun here, but heavy rain likely tomorrow evening.

Awitt
1390214.  Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:44 am Reply with quote

There has been snow in our mountainous regions before on days like this, but not today. (thanks to a FB group named 'weather obsessed' I see photos of it all)

suze
1390222.  Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:04 am Reply with quote

That got me wondering whether it ever snows at sea level in Australia - and the answer is yes, but not very often.

The last recorded snowfall in the central area of Melbourne was in 1986, and in the central area of Adelaide was in 1951. A snowfall has only ever been recorded once in the central area of Sydney, and that was in 1836. A newspaper report of a snowfall in Brisbane in 1927 is not widely believed, while there has never been a recorded snowfall in Darwin or Perth.

Your best bet is Hobart. Snow is seen every winter because the city lies at the foot of a mountain, while it falls in the city itself once a decade or so. That snow is more common the further south you go is as you'd expect in the Southern Hemisphere.

What I don't know is why snow is so rare in Melbourne compared to Northern Hemisphere cities at comparable latitudes. There is snow every winter and plenty of it in Pyongyang, North Korea, and snow every five years or so in Athens, Greece.

Awitt
1390814.  Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:13 am Reply with quote

I would have to pose that question to one of the experts (proper metereologists) who run that aforementioned 'Weather Obsessed' group.

There was snow here around 1951. I've seen photos of the suburbs around where my mother grew up and she remembers it, being aged 11 or so, and somewhere in the family collection is a photo my grandmother took of snow in the garden.

After a beautiful day yesterday, it's back to the cold strong winds and some rain is predicted overnight.

And I have just seen photos of snow today in Collinsvale, Tasmania. As I do not know it, I looked it up and it's not that far out of the capital Hobart.

tetsabb
1390857.  Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:15 pm Reply with quote

Glorious wall to wall sunshine all day in East Sussex.
I made our supper early this afternoon with bright sun fuelling the cooker: a herby lentil concoction was prepared. Pastry was made and rolled out-- the base had 15 mins 'blind bake' in the oven before lentils were applied, then a layer of pastry over the top.
Some of the lentil mix would not fit, so became my lunch.

tetsabb
1391648.  Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:22 am Reply with quote

Memo to self: when it has been pissing down all day, don't go for a walk when the wind starts to truly howl as well.
At least we know now that my recently acquired rain coat from the company named after a former England rugbyist is water proof. The same ca not be said for the jeans.

Page 59 of 59
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59